• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter before action Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Letter of Claim Help!

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
    Moralising such as this helps no one whatever the reason/ cause of debt there is no need whatsoever for such comment.

nem
    My comment was not meant to offend, indeed after 23 years of professional debt handing, there is always a story behind the debt, and certainly no offence was intended.
    However, even in times of extreme personal displacement, creditors should always be kept in the loop as to the inability to pay although I accept that in many situations that can be extremely difficult to achieve.

Comment

I do have some other debts but not that I am receiving any letters about. I have tried on the whole to keep creditors informed but sometimes it seems like I was banging my head against a brick wall . This recent flurry from Capital One went from a letter introducing Lowell Solicitors to a letter of Claim within 2 days so I did not have time to respond. Before that it had been a long time since I heard from them.

Over some time I have done a lot of reading on different websites and the advice seemed to be only to respond to genuine threats otherwise the creditors would see you as an easy touch and just up the level of hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Berti View Post
        I do have some other debts but not that I am receiving any letters about. I have tried on the whole to keep creditors informed but sometimes it seems like I was banging my head against a brick wall . This recent flurry from Capital One went from a letter introducing Lowell Solicitors to a letter of Claim within 2 days so I did not have time to respond. Before that it had been a long time since I heard from them.

Over some time I have done a lot of reading on different websites and the advice seemed to be only to respond to genuine threats otherwise the creditors would see you as an easy touch and just up the level of hassle.
        One has to be extremely careful with Lowell/Lowell solicitors are rather swift and tend not to adhere to their own deadlines, this lot are not to be trusted!!

nem

Comment

Thanks
          I have posted the CCA request today but it won't arrive until Tuesday so I think I will email the solicitors telling them I have sent a CCA request

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
          I have posted the CCA request today but it won't arrive until Tuesday so I think I will email the solicitors telling them I have sent a CCA request

Comment

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
            That's fine.

nem

Comment

OK. well if Lowell's admit they can't produce a CCA, then this isn't a problem, you can defend this claim. But if they can, then this debt is not statute barred so you are going to get a CCJ. and you will need to reply with to the claim with details of your Income & Expenditure and an offer of monthly repayment. This offer should really take into account your other debts, otherwise what are you going to do in three months time when the next claim form arrives?

Comment

I am going to do my best not to worry , if nothing else it will delay the issuing of a claim. I am going to spend the week looking at options. Quite frankly , I feel like saying bugger off or I will go Bankrupt and you will get sod all . Mt mind is running at 20 to the dozen at the moment so I need to try and calm down and think of the best course of action.

I wonder how long it will take to reply to my CCA request and will sending it actually stop them issuing a claim .

Comment

There is still the possibility of avoiding a CCA if Lowell should have the agreement.

A Consent Order ( also known as a Tomlin Order) whereby agreed payments are secured by the order which stays the claim as long as the agreed payments are maintained.

nem

Comment

I am going to do my best not to worry , if nothing else it will delay the issuing of a claim. I am going to spend the week looking at options. Quite frankly , I feel like saying bugger off or I will go Bankrupt and you will get sod all . Mt mind is running at 20 to the dozen at the moment so I need to try and calm down and think of the best course of action.
                    That is good advice from yourself

One of the difficult problems here is how much weight to give to your other debts. Without a crystal ball you can't guess how many of them are going to be coming back with claim forms over the next few years. It is unfortunately common to be contacted in the last few months before a debt becomes statute barred, by which point you were assuming you were safe.

As you have little income, and no assets, you could take the view that you will tough it all out and offer token payments to CCJs if and when they arrive.

But it is sensible to consider the alternative of insolvency, which would be bankruptcy if your debts are over 20k or a Debt Relief Order if they are under 20k. This may be simpler and less stressful than arguing about a string of debts one by one, knowing that only one has to get their CCJ for your credit record to be wrecked anyway.

Information on bankruptcy: http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/...to-bankruptcy/
                    Information of DROs: http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-options/...relief-orders/

Comment

Debt Camel
                      Thank you for the advice, I have managed to find someone I can talk to face to face although I will have to travel to them to get some advice. I am wondering about Bankruptcy.

I now wish I had faced up to this ages ago

I received an email back from Lowell this morning
                      Dear Sir or Madam,
                      Please be advised that as this is the first email we have received from you, we require some information from you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 so that we can conduct our security checks.

Please confirm:
                      Our reference number
                      Full name
                      Full address, including post code
                      Full date of birth

By replying to this email, you also confirm that you give authority for us to record this email address and correspond with you by this method.

We aim to respond to you as soon as possible, but within 10 working days once we have satisfied our security checks. Please note that until we receive the above information from you, we will not be able to deal with your correspondence.

If you are responding to any contact that suggests that we may take steps such as issuing a claim or entering a judgment in less than 5 working days, please call us on the below number as we cannot guarantee that we will have seen your email.

If you wish to speak with a member of our team, please telephone us between 8:00am and 8:00pm Monday to Friday or between 8:00am and 2:00pm Saturday on 0113 335 3334.
                      Thing is
                      I wrote a letter and signed it, in the old fashioned way with my name and address and the reference number. I then signed it and scanned it and attached it to an email. In the email I wrote that this email address was not to be used for correspondence

The first thing they do is send that back

Hopefully I will know tomorrow that the CCA request has been delivered

Comment

Sorry another question

I have seen people talk about notice of assignment and the law of property act

Does tha notice have to be in a particular format or mention the law of property act or can it just say we have sold your account to xxxxxx

Comment

Sorry another question

I have seen people talk about notice of assignment and the law of property act

Does tha notice have to be in a particular format or mention the law of property act or can it just say we have sold your account to xxxxxx
                          Hi Berti

It is sent out under the hand of the assignor; that could be the assignor, the assignee or even a third party.
                          It must, however, be sent in accordance with LoPA 1925 s196(4).
                          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...20/section/196
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charitynjw

So you are saying that it should be sent by registered post?

Registered post doesn't exist any more though does it

Does it need to mention LoPA?

I have found two letters that came in normal post that just said we have sold you account and hello we now own your account

Comment

I've checked the delivery and the letter has not been delivered.

Should I reply to the solicitors confirming my name and address etc but saying specifically that they can not use the email address to contact me ?

Comment

I've checked the delivery and the letter has not been delivered.

Should I reply to the solicitors confirming my name and address etc but saying specifically that they can not use the email address to contact me ?
                                NOA's custom and practice: Can be sent by normal by: The creditor and / or the debt purchaser often debt purchasers are authorised to send the creditors NOA in the same envelope.

You have described the NOA (s) above.

nem

When did you post the letter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X