• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is debt statute barred, court claim issued!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is debt statute barred, court claim issued!

Originally posted by Nicki1906 View Post
    Waiting now for my hearing. Are Lowell allowed to question me, he asked if I had made any additional requests since filing the WS, I feel very intimidated an scared beyond belief, I had all fixed with what I wanted to say now I feel like I don't stand a chance!! 
    Is this Lowell's legal representative asking questions?
    Have you made any requests? I didn't think so.

If you feel intimidated in any way by this person tell the court usher straight away especially if it's an attempt to get you to back down.

Be as positive as you can stick to what you want to say and listen carefully to what the judge says, and the legal reps input, write down anything he says you can then tell the judge what you think of their case.

Don't interrupt the judge or the rep you can challenge the rep, if you are puzzled by anything ask the judge, so there is no misunderstanding.

Thinking of you!! Be positive!!

Good Luck

nem

Comment

Hi,

Im at work at present, but if you can list what questions you have ill try to answer them

Cheers
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
        Hi,

Im at work at present, but if you can list what questions you have ill try to answer them

Cheers
        Claim is in court as we speak PT.

nem

Comment

Ahh I thought it was tomorrow ! Bugger.... Good luck Nicki !!!!!
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            Claim is in court as we speak PT.

nem
            Absolutely devastated, the judge has awarded judgement for £2097.70 + interest £246.10 = £2,343.80 this was based on the probability that I would have received the default notice, the representative for BW also played on the fact I have made payments, when I said my problem with the claim was they had NOT produced the original credit agreement, the judge said based on other cases it was not proven fatal that the agreement was not produced!!!

He he said he could see that I had been honest and had tried to negotiate with HSBC initially and also Lowell, hence the payments I had made, his findings were all based on probability and that he said I had represented myself well and he refused to award costs to the claimant, he said usually 14 days are required to make payment, but in my case he was allowing 6 weeks to make arrangements to pay or settle with Lowell.

The representative for Lowell said to the judge he would discuss the situation further when we left the room. He told me he was a local soilicitor paid to represent Lowell as they don't use their own staff, he suggested I now contact Lowell to make them an offer his suggestion was 60% of the judgment, I am so shocked I am not sure what to do next, I clearly need to act fast as time is now against me!!

Any advice will be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicki1906 View Post
              Absolutely devastated, the judge has awarded judgement for £2097.70 + interest £246.10 = £2,343.80 this was based on the probability that I would have received the default notice, the representative for BW also played on the fact I have made payments, when I said my problem with the claim was they had NOT produced the original credit agreement, the judge said based on other cases it was not proven fatal that the agreement was not produced!!!

He he said he could see that I had been honest and had tried to negotiate with HSBC initially and also Lowell, hence the payments I had made, his findings were all based on probability and that he said I had represented myself well and he refused to award costs to the claimant, he said usually 14 days are required to make payment, but in my case he was allowing 6 weeks to make arrangements to pay or settle with Lowell.

The representative for Lowell said to the judge he would discuss the situation further when we left the room. He told me he was a local soilicitor paid to represent Lowell as they don't use their own staff, he suggested I now contact Lowell to make them an offer his suggestion was 60% of the judgment, I am so shocked I am not sure what to do next, I clearly need to act fast as time is now against me!!

Any advice will be welcomed.
              So sorry Nicki, so disappointing. I thought we had it right!

nem

Comment

I'd like [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Celestine[/MENTION] to comment if possible on the DJ's " balance of probabilities " judgment with no CCA available.

nem

Comment

Yes this seems to be against Legislation!

Comment

& the decision re the DN, if possible.

Can they assume one has been given? (ie served)
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                      Yes this seems to be against Legislation!
                      The brains ticking over Mike I agree, but there is a mass of guidance on sect 77-79 that tbh I've not had time to read.

nem

Comment

The brains ticking over Mike I agree, but there is a mass of guidance on sect 77-79 that tbh I've not had time to read.

nem

Pre 2007 comes to mind, seems some DJs play the game of ignorance and use post 2007?

Comment

nem
                          Thanks Nem,

The fact the judge made a big issue over the default notice being served as probable, concerns me, I raised the point about the agreement being pre2007 which he also seemed to skip round.

He was specific in acknowledging the fact I had made payments in an effort to resolve the debt, these payments were made usually after a threatening letter was received, perhaps I should have included that comment in my response that I felt Intimidated which was why I made the sporadic payments, I so wish I knew then what I know now!!

He also said he has given me 6 weeks to resolve, so am I to appeal or should I have requested this at the end of the hearing, as he did mention at the start if I wanted to appeal any findings i could!?

my other half suggests I call Lowell and see whether they are prepared to settle at say 50-60% this pointing out I can perhaps lend the money an clear it as a full and final settlement or if they don't want to be amenable make it clear there is limited disposable income left after current outgoings!?

Comment

I'd like @pt2537 @Celestine to comment if possible on the DJ's " balance of probabilities " judgment with no CCA available.

nem

Their in put would be of a great help here??? [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]Celestine[/MENTION]

- - - Updated - - -

sounds to me like He (DJ) misdirected himself as Appeal Judges would state (without calling him wrong in his assessment!???

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                              Their in put would be of a great help here??? @pt2537 @Celestine

- - - Updated - - -

sounds to me like He (DJ) misdirected himself as Appeal Judges would state (without calling him wrong in his assessment!???
                              I agree Mike!

Comment

I agree Mike!

So based on the comments I've read, I've basically been stitched up big time by the DJ, I also need to mention I did not have the judge listed on the court papers, the judge today was judge Buckey, not that I suppose that's even relevant now! 😳

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X