• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Citifinancial - 4-10-2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Citifinancial - 4-10-2015

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 4-10-2015
    Amount approx: 8000
    Claimant: Cabot Financial
    Solicitor: Mortimer Clarke
    Original Credit: Citifinancial

Particulars of Claim:
    By an agreement between CITIFINANCIAL and the defendant on or around xx/xx/2007 (FYI this was late in the year) (the agreement) CITIFINANCIAL agreed to issue the defendant with a credit card. The defendant failed to make the minimum payments due and the Agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the claimant. The claimant therefore claims (approx 8 grand).

Stat Barred? Yes

Have sent:

Other Info:
    Have ordered statutory reports from Equifax / Experian / Call Credit. I can't see the CITIFINANCIAL debt on there, but in brief I had a load of credit cards, juggled them all about and then finally stopped making any payments on all of them from August 2009. It is certain that the last payment to CITI was the same time. All of them show this, with first missed payment on all of them being September 2009. From reading the forum my understanding is that this makes them statute barred. I have made no other contact / payment / letter / email / call to CITI/Cabot/Mortimer Clarke.

This forum has been extremely useful to follow. I am deliberately logging this before I start responding as I would appreciate having my hand held through the process.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by JimmyJames; 13th October 2015, 20:45:PM. Reason: date wrong
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Citifinancial - 4-10-2015

Hi and welcome to LB

I agree that if your last payment was in August 2009, then first missed payment in September and claim issued Oct 2015 then it should be SBd. :whoo:

Even then, it's always a good idea to follow the whole process and request documents prior to filing a defence, if only to get a back-up plan, a PlanB so to speak.

You'll start by acknowledging service and saying you intend to defend the whole claim. Full instructions here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...313#post499313

Below are the steps to take upon receipt of a claim:

So, first steps (within 14 days of receiving the claim)

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
    This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)
    Any questions just shout. :director:

Comment

I was under the impression that all Citi cards had been sold to Opus and claims were being issued saying there had been an agreement with Opus, perhaps Cabot have woken up and smelled the coffee....

If the claimant as it appears on the form is Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, you should look at this: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...357#post583357
      :music:

Comment

FP, thank you. I won't worry about the Cabot UK angle at this stage. (Address and name is same as on photo of letter in link you posted, but no brackets, FYI.) That can always be kept back for the moment. I'd prefer to fight on only one front initially!

I will do as you suggest re letters and post up when sent.

(I am slightly confused re stature barred date though. For clarity, does this start from when you last paid/contacted or from when you missed the payment. It's obviously cutting it a bit fine. Would prefer 2 months than one month's buffer.)

Anything else I should do in terms of preparation at this stage?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJames View Post
          I will do as you suggest re letters and post up when sent.

(I am slightly confused re stature barred date though. For clarity, does this start from when you last paid/contacted or from when you missed the payment. It's obviously cutting it a bit fine. Would prefer 2 months than one month's buffer.)
          The Limitation Act says it starts from the "cause of action". That wouldn't be your last minimum payment since the creditor would have no way of knowing that you wouldn't be making any more payments, therefore there is no cause of action at this stage. However, if you default and then make reduced or token payments, then it would be when the last payment was made. If your last payment was a minimum payment on your card then they would have had cause of action when you missed your next payment.

If you fancy a bit of reading, you should take a look at http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...red#post400620 and http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...red#post399097
          Anything else I should do in terms of preparation at this stage?
          Although the burden of proof is on the claimant, it helps to be prepared. You may want to dig up any statements you may have showing when payments were/weren't made. If you haven't got statements you may need to send a SAR (to the original creditor not Cabot) to obtain them. :thumb:

Comment

Thanks.

Should I also send out a subject access request (to Citifinancial?)? Given how long these seem to take to come through? I will be writing letters and firing off recorded delivery over weekend.

One point. This stuff came from my old address (forwarded via royal mail). Shall I continue to use the old address in order to keep a bit of distance (stuff seems to be reliably forwarded), or update it? Bearing in mind I have a few other bit on the 6yr horizon?

Jim.

Comment

Thanks.

Should I also send out a subject access request (to Citifinancial?)? Given how long these seem to take to come through? I will be writing letters and firing off recorded delivery over weekend.
              Yes, it does take time and they have up to 40 days to respond to a SAR and your defence will be due before that (unless they agree to an extension), however, you can still file your SBd defence and leave it up to them to challenge that fact. Once you file your defence they have 28 days to respond and say whether they wish to proceed with the claim. You then get the directions questionnaires, etc. so it will be well into the New Year when a hearing date is scheduled if it gets that far. If they start arguing that you made payments in the last six years, your statements will come in handy at that stage. :thumb:

Was your Citi card not sold to OPUS?
              One point. This stuff came from my old address (forwarded via royal mail). Shall I continue to use the old address in order to keep a bit of distance (stuff seems to be reliably forwarded), or update it? Bearing in mind I have a few other bit on the 6yr horizon?
              You are dealing with a claim so there's not much reason to keep a bit of distance. Given how time-sensitive some things can be, it would be better if you received all correspondence on this matter to your own address rather than relying on RM redirection, as good as it may be.

Comment

OK.

I need to submit my defence in the next couple of days.

So far I have heard nothing back from anyone, but all documents have been received in the last 10 days or so according to track and trace on signed for.

What's the normal next course of action?

Thanks as ever.

Comment

OK.

I need to submit my defence in the next couple of days.

So far I have heard nothing back from anyone, but all documents have been received in the last 10 days or so according to track and trace on signed for.

What's the normal next course of action?

Thanks as ever.
                  I've not been involved with your thread so I don't know the story.

You have not had a response to CCA and/ or CPR31.14 requests?
                  What do you have other than non compliance with CCA request to defend the claim?
                  Have you done any preparation?

nem

Comment

Thanks for your message.

No, nothing received as yet.

I believe it to be statute barred based on their claim coming approx 6yr2mth from my last payment.

I have written the letters you quote and also an SAR to Citi.

I have done no other prep to date. What would you suggest I should do / should have done so far?

Comment

Any thoughts, please? Many thanks.

Comment

Hi JimmyJames,

So your defence is due by tomorrow correct? If you do a quick search on defence in the search box at the top there are plenty of threads with examples on. Have a go at drafting something and posting up and one of us can take a look.
                        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks R0b - I'm first to admit navigation is a little tricky at times (must try and improve it!) for now though example defence is http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...t-Court-Claims - this is just an EXAMPLE so must be edited to suit your own case.

possibly also add ' I contend that the debt is statute barred pursuant to section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980 in that no acknowledgment or payment has been made for in excess of 6 years '
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

^ I did see this defence the other day and tried doing quick search now ... couldn't find it
                            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for the posts, much appreciated.

I had previously seen that and it will be the basis of my submission.

I am slightly concerned re the "not done any prep" comment...... what should I have done? Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X