• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bryan Carter / Lowell / Three Mobile Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Carter / Lowell / Three Mobile Court Claim

Hello All,

I've just received a court claim issued on 20th March 2015 for a mobile phone contract from 2009.

Some details:

> Account opened sometime in 2007
    > Last payment was made in September 2009
    > Default registered by Lowell in April 2010
    > The default shows on my credit record

About 5 months into my second contract with Three my new phone stopped working. I took this into my local high street shop explaining to which the representative told me I would 'need to buy a new one'. Irate at that response, I then spoke to the Manager and told him I now longer wished to deal with his company and to cancel my contract - leaving the phone with him and walking out.

I'm aware that may not have been the smartest thing! I'm now stuck in this situation where I want to contest but am not sure if I have a leg to stand on - can I get some advice please?

After this event I didn't receive any further correspondence from Three and no default notice as far as I am aware - that is until Lowell started sending letters.

I've not spoken to Lowell or Bryan Carter - who for the first time ever have just tried to contact me by phone - by calling my workplace on the 24th March, leaving a message for me to call them back.

After reading other forum posts, I was thinking as my next steps:

> Sending a CPR 31.14 to Bryan Carter
    > Acknowledge the claim online through moneyclaim

I'd greatly appreciate some of your thoughts on this one!

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Bryan Carter / Lowell / Three Mobile Court Claim

Hi welcome to LB,
    Just for clarification Lowell did not register a default a debt purchaser can only update
    the original creditors credit reference file entry. the default would be registered prior
    to the sale to Lowell.

A mobile phone contract is not a " regulated credit agreement" and a default notice such as is needed for a credit agreement is not required for a " service contract" a demand or a final demand for payment would have been made prior to a default being placed and registered with a credit reference agency.
    You are correct dumping the phone in the branch was unwise to say the least.

If the Particulars of claim mentions an agreement then yes CPR31.14 is applicable and should be sent.

The alleged debt ( how much is this) is not statute barred so the claim is not out of time.
    What can you suggest for a defence in this matter?
    Please post a copy of the Claim Form after removing personal identifiers.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,

Thanks for the quick reply and clarifying about the default - when looking at my credit record I see it was updated two years after the default was recorded.

The debt is for £389 with my credit record showing a Delinquent Balance of £70.

I've attached the claim form as requested - with it showing an 'agreement between the original creditor and the defendant'.

Where it comes to a defence, stupidity or hotheadedness just doesn't cut it, right?

I guess the only defence I may have is that as the phone was under warranty, should they not have agreed to send it for repair, rather than responding with a flippant remark? Saying that - I have no evidence that happened.

Again, appreciate any insight you may be able to give.

Thank you.
      Last edited by Tlord; 31st March 2015, 13:11:PM. Reason: Edit Attachment

Comment

OK send a CPR31.14 request to Carter for the " agreement " mentioned in the POC. ( template in forum library).

Next " Prove It " Letter to Lowell.

To Ms Sara de Tute,
        Legal Counsel
        The Lowell Group.

Ref Claim No. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Ms de Tute,

I ref to the above mention claim regarding an alleged debt arising from an account with 3 mobile.

I am unable to reconcile the amount claim and require sight of the original agreement mentioned in the particulars of the claim.I have sent a CPR 31.14 request to Bryan Carter LLP but I'm aware that Lowell's appointed solicitor claims that this does not apply to small claims, but as this claim has Not be allocated to a track CPR 31.14 is still relevant to this claim.
        I await your prompt reply.

Use signed for post and check delivery date.

If Lowell/Carter can play games so can we.!!!
        nem

Comment

Good stuff Nem - thanks.

OK so both of these letters have been sent recorded today.

I would have sent sooner but circumstances transpired against me.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Comment

Ok !!

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,

Received a response from Bryan Carter today - please see this attached below.

I think this is their standard response to which I should follow up with the second letter here > CPR 31.14 Request > is this right?

I've yet to receive a response from Ms de Tute.

Thanks Again.
              Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone please advise on the above post?

I need to act quickly.

Comment

Yep standard reply nonsense, so yes send the second letter spot on.

nem

Comment

Hello Again,

After receiving another standard response advising that they do not need to provide a copy of the agreement, I entered a no evidence defence.

Since that time I have received two letters from Bryan Carter, the latest one yesterday.

Can you advise of what my options are at this stage and perhaps shed any light on whether their intention to proceed in court is absolute?

Thank you in advance.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                      Offering mediation so I suspect that Lowell has nothing to back up the claim.
                      Agree to mediation only via the HMCTS Small Claims Mediation Service so as to avoid
                      contact with " Carters helpful team" who will attempt to persuade you to pay on their terms
                      forgetting the fact that there is no telecoms contract to hand.
                      There is a possibility they may not proceed at all, no guarantee though.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,

I've applied to have mediation through HMCTS Small Claims Mediation Service though have also just received today a 'Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track'.

Does this mean that Bryan Carter intend to proceed to court?

Thanks

Comment

No, the allocation to the small claims track is procedural.

If are accepting mediation via HMCTS SCMS, then all is fine.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,

I've now received a copy of Bryan Carter's Directions Questionnaire, a copy of which is attached below.

Nothing has been updated on the claim history on MCOL.

I'm wondering what would be the next steps if we are unable to settle through mediation? Would there be a court hearing?

Thanks, T
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

The hearing would be at the nearest available court to your address.
                              Agree to mediation.
                              If the mediation fails or does not take place the claim will go forward
                              to a hearing and you will need defence and witness statements filed.

MCCOL may be slow on updates check again after the weekend.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X