• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received court claim forms from bw legal/ lowell portfolio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Received court claim forms from bw legal/ lowell portfolio

Thanks all.
    I will prepare

Comment

Hi Everyone,
      Update!
      Went to court for the hearing on 15th April as stated in my previous thread.
      At the hearing, Judge allowed me more time to file my defence by 13 June and questioned lowells' representative to explain the solicitors costs which had been included in the POC because at the time of the hearing, they still did not have any documents to present before the judge as requested in my CPR31.14.
      It was ordered that Lowell should produce the documents requested for by latest 4pm on 13th May and also to refund my costs of £80 for the application N244 by 4pm on 6th May.
      I have so far received a cheque of £80 as per the order from BWLegal dated 6th may but was received on the 8th May with a letter dated the 7th May requesting me to acknowledge receipt.
      As of today the 16th May, I have still not received the documents requested and ordered for from Lowell or BW Legal.
      The deadline for delivery was 13th May as per the court Order and still no compliance.
      Any advice?

Comment

Was it an unless order or just an order for disclosure ? i.e. does the order mention striking out the claim ?

M1

Comment

In the order the Judge gave you was there any sanction listed for non compliance with the order? Might be worth giving your court a call to say you've received nothing and check if they have. You may need to apply for a strike out

Good news on how the hearing went btw Well done.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi M1,
            No It does not state that, it states;
            In the County Court at xxxxxx
            Claim number xxxxxx
            Date. 24 April 2014
            Lowellportfolio1 ltd 1st Claimant
            Me 1st Defendant

Before District Judge xxxxx sitting at the county court at xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
            Upon hearing the defendant in person and hearing the solicitor for the claimant

IT IS ORDERED THAT:-

1. The Claimant shall deliver to the Defendant by 4pm on 13th May 2014 copies of the credit agreement, the defendant notice, and the agreement referred to in the claim form.

2. The Defendant's time for serving their defence is extended to 14th June 2014.

3. The Claimant shall pay the Defendant's costs summarily assessed in the sum of £80.00 to be paid by the Claimant to the Defendant on or by 4pm on 6th May 2014.

Dated 15th April 2014

Comment

Thanks all for the support!

Comment

IMO there is no sanction specifically provided for which is a pain.

I would contact the claimant and ask why they haven't complied. You might want to point out CPR 31.21 to them

Consequence of failure to disclose documents or permit inspection

31.21 A party may not rely on any document which he fails to disclose or in respect of which he fails to permit inspection unless the court gives permission

Now that in itself appears give them a substantial problem. How are they going to prove their claim now ? They will need relief from sanctions. They are unlikely to get it.

If they have no reason for the delay (eg we posted it to you, it must be lost etc) then invite them to discontinue or you'll apply for another order, with costs.
                M1

Comment

Hi all,
                  Latest update!,
                  Rang up BW Legal,
                  Acknowledged receipt of their cheque for £80 for the costs.
                  Informed them that I still had not received the documents as requested/ordered and asked for an explanation.
                  They said that they still had not received the documents from their client.
                  Informed them that the time for compliance had elapsed.
                  Offered them an opportunity to withdraw their claim since they had failed to comply in time and still appear not to be in possession of the required documents.
                  The gentleman I was speaking to then said that I needed to put my request in writing.
                  I informed him that I was not requesting but simply trying to offer them an opportunity to avoid further costs due to their non-compliance and because they still had no documents even at this late stage.
                  He said he understood what I was trying to do but he could not make a decision over the phone but would need to communicate back to his client about the offer and then make a decision.
                  I informed him that I will be informing the court next week about their non-compliance to the order.
                  He said he will be updating their system about our discussion.

Comment

He probably knew you were right but he is also right that he has to take instruction.

At least you now know there were no issues and they wilfully didn't comply. Write a wee email to confirm the details of the call in case you need evidence later

M1

Comment

Thanks M1,
                      Any Advice about the follow up procedure as it is confirmed that there has been wilful non compliance to the order based on the fact that no change in position of Lowell/BW Legal about the documents.
                      What application do I need to apply for at court if any at this stage as a follow up?

Comment

None really. If it gets that far i would object to the introduction of any document they failed to disclose. The sanctions provided in the rules take over and unless a judge says it's ok they're stuck. Given Mitchell and the over riding objective along with the sanctions provided for in the rules they'll have a hard job without a (sym)pathetic judge.

Give it a week or so and then consider starting a defence based on what you have, if they haven't conceded by then.

M1

Comment

Thanks M1,
                          Any idea of how to present my defence after the 1 week?
                          Just want to be prepared to avoid deadline panic

Comment

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-leg...t.html#Defence

Obviously you deny what you can and state the statutory bar to enforcement in s78 for starters.

It would be very helpful ton know if the catalogue was pre 2005 and if there was ever a signed document.

M1

Comment

As an aside to this you won costs of the application but didnt request your own costs which as a LIP you are entitled to at £18 minimum
                              I recently won the £80 back plus another £320 for my own costs it will make them think twice about not complying or taking you on
                              I treated myself to a mini victory new power tool

onlyme

Comment

If the Court has made an order, and the Claimant has failed to comply, then a second application with an unless order sanction on it is the way to go in my view. The Claimant has ignored the Court already sooooooooo Andrew Mitchell MP v News Group Newspapers anyone?????
                                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X