• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ochmode vs BWLegal/Lowells/Lloyds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ochmode vs BWLegal/Lowells/Lloyds

Hi all,

Just back from court with mixed thoughts really. The judge ordered them to produce the particulars of the case within 52 days.

So I got to court on time and sat in the waiting room and waited, pondering who their solicitor might be and whether it was appropriate to approach him/her or not. She turned up apparently not even briefed about the case, I found this out by some stroke of luck. She made a call to one of their departments and got transferred about three times before getting to speak to some guy. I am not one for eavesdropping but the conversation was quite loud and It was when I heard my surname I realised she was the rep for Lowell, and she for some reason thought I was the opposite sex which gave her confidence to blurt out the questions regarding the case in my presence.

The conversation followed this pattern (not in exact words), I am ... from ... for this case. Just wanted to check why the particulars had not been sent to the defendant, it was quite loud as I could hear most replies but I couldn't hear what the other person said as the creaky door in waiting room was being opened at the same time. That would have made an interesting insight . She added ok, so it would be best to adjourn for another 52 days and lets hope the judge doesn't award costs. She clearly knew she was trying to buy time and that was all they had.

She had another case involving a minor and got introduced to her clients, so I didn't try to get her attention to discuss anything and frankly I didn't know if I should or should not. Well I didn't, but she got to know who I was when I had to identify myself to the court clerk. The other case got called before mine and it was at the point I felt she perhaps would have an advantage of having seen or spoken to the judge rather than going in together.

So I got called to go in and the DJ says to me good morning, to which I replied good afternoon. It was near 3pm and blazing hot, perhaps I should have just played the fool and not been so facetious with the greeting. Anyways he responded by saying this is not a good start, as I sat down he asked the solicitor when they could get the documents without allowing me to get my papers out and all. She played the 52 card and he looked at me, I responded by saying that they had the chance to produce this before now and haven't, to which he replied "they don't, do they?" I began saying well the onus is on the claimant to supply evidence of the claim and get documents before submitting a claim. He then asked the solicitor when the debt was assigned and if she had copies, she said she didn't. She mumbled she could get it and something else. I then tried to state my case saying they should have had the docs before submitting a claim and I had the case laws in front of both of them, he just said "you have already stated that and I will not be dragged into the do's and dont's of what someone should have done or should not have done" and a made a long spill of how the law should be streamlined e.t.c. he mention it was to my benefit to allow the adjournment that if it was struck out, they could reapply, and that the time lapse was also to my benefit. He asked for my N244 and read it and then ordered the particulars to be produced before the 18th of September. His mind had been set to do that anyways so I didn't think he was going to change it. So I naively asked that if they don't comply, he said well you can apply to the court to get it struck off. So the solicitor got up after he had written the judgement and walked to the door, he mentioned her firstname and said have a good weekend. I was a bit perplexed by the familiarity and I think there might be something there. Perhaps I am over thinking things, I just got up said thank you and walked out and left the building. I suppose I will get something in writing confirming his order.

So I suppose I sit and wait for any sort of documents really, before I decide my next move? or what could I possibly do now?
    thanks for all the support and advice so far.

OchMode.

Comment

Although it was probably not the result you'd expected, it's not a bad result. As the judge said, if they don't come up with the goods, you can apply for it to be struck off. Lowell make a habit of issuing claims without being in possession of any paperwork to substantiate it, in the hope of obtaining default judgment or an admission from the debtor. From what you say above, it sounds like they haven't got a hope hi hell of obtaining any documents. ray:

I still think it's unfair when judges allow claimants so much time to comply with something they should have complied with in seven days as per the CPRs and wonder why defendants are not allowed the same leeway, i.e. 52 extra days to submit a defence. :ohwell:

We live by the "we don't want to upset the City" principle. :mad2:

Comment

Were costs mentioned by the judge ? A date for filing a defence ?

M1

Comment

Why 52 days?? I mean is there any relevance to asking for 52 days?

Well done Ochmode, sounds like the Judge was a bit hot and grumpy today, like many of us I suspect xx

They have to provide documents so all is okay, just a bit of a long wait now.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            Although it was probably not the result you'd expected, it's not a bad result. As the judge said, if they don't come up with the goods, you can apply for it to be struck off. Lowell make a habit of issuing claims without being in possession of any paperwork to substantiate it, in the hope of obtaining default judgment or an admission from the debtor. From what you say above, it sounds like they haven't got a hope hi hell of obtaining any documents. ray:

I still think it's unfair when judges allow claimants so much time to comply with something they should have complied with in seven days as per the CPRs and wonder why defendants are not allowed the same leeway, i.e. 52 extra days to submit a defence. :ohwell:

We live by the "we don't want to upset the City" principle. :mad2:
            I agree it isn't bad result Flaming parrot, I just expected the DJ to apply the rules as is but heyho.

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
            Were costs mentioned by the judge ? A date for filing a defence ?

M1
            No he said no such thing, he was bent on allowing the quite young female solicitor have her way. Perhaps he was mesmerised thinking back now, I feel he wanted to give them the benefit of doubt to produce something they should have already had. I am intending to seek costs at the end hopefully, especially as the case laws copies set me a few bob so i'll wait and see the final wording of the judgement.

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Why 52 days?? I mean is there any relevance to asking for 52 days?

Well done Ochmode, sounds like the Judge was a bit hot and grumpy today, like many of us I suspect xx

They have to provide documents so all is okay, just a bit of a long wait now.
            The conversation between the young solicitor and the person on the other end of the phone brought about that number. I am not sure the relevance of it, but the DJ just agreed without a whimper which is a shame really.

So yea the waiting game begins, will let all know when I get the court order. Thanks all again, and as for Lowell; they live to die another day.

Comment

Did you not ask ?

M1

Comment

No I didn't manage to get that far on the day, tbh there wasn't room to ask with the closed response. Have I lost my chance?

Comment

Not really. You need to wait and see what the actual order is when it comes through the post.

M1

Comment

Hi all,

The date set by the court has now passed - last Friday, and I haven't received anything resembling a letter or even a postcard. Not even as much as a phone call or text. What shall I do?

The days have gone quickly, more quickly than I expected.
                    Thanks

Comment

hi, any pointers please? many thanks

Comment

Check with the court to see if they have any info and if not write to the court or apply for a strike out or even invite the claimant to discontinue perhaps offering to bear your own costs if they agree.

M1

Comment

Hi, just got a letter from he court today with the exact comment "please explain to the defendant that we do not conduct case management by correspondence he will need to make an application on N244 and pay the relevant fee." This is after weeks of chasing, I had originally emailed to let the court know the claimant had not complied with the judges ruling and urged for a strike out.

If if I recollect correctly I had done a N244, why would I need to do this again? Please advice.

thanks,
                          ochmode

Comment

Most courts do not deal in letters. They deal in applications. Each time you need something is a different application.

I'd contact the claimant and ask if they have any intention of compliance and if so when. If not invite them to discontinue. If still no then tell them you'll have to apply and ask if they'll consent and hope they agree so you only need to pay £50. Failing all that then you need to pay £155.

M1

Comment

Thanks M1, I really did not want to contact the claimant at all - not to give them any leeway to reopen anything, but might have to do so if it reduces the fee I might have to pay.

Assuming they confirm a compliance date, how do I proceed? Also, would it be disadvantageous to cough up the £155 mentioning the exact contents of my email without contacting the claimants as suggested?

thanks

Comment

Thing is they haven't complied. You're asking if they will.

If they do then fire them an email to confirm the call. If it's a short date then perhaps wait and see however if it's miles away then apply. It's hard to suggest what to do unless you can read minds

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X