• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BWLEGAL responded to my CPR request but not sure what to do next, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWLEGAL responded to my CPR request but not sure what to do next, please help!

Hello,

Thanks again for all help received to date much appreciated and how much help this site and members have given me.

I received claim on 18th but dated 15th from NCC for Lloyds overdraft/lowell/bwlegal

I sent CPR 31.14 Request on 20th Jan they received on 21st they replied letter dated 28 Jan but I received only on 4th feb the letter says following,

Letter contents>

Thanks for your letter, the contents of which have been noted.
    We are currently looking into some of the points raised and will respond to you in due course

Please can someone advise what my next steps are as I'm feeling rather anxious as worried about time closing in.

Many thanks again
    John

Tags: None

Re: BWLEGAL responded to my CPR request but not sure what to do next, please help!

Did you acknowledge the claim?

You'll need to ask them to agree an extension for the time to file your defence if they are going to take their time responding to you. I'd do this a week or so before the defence is due if you don't hear back on the CPR request and then inform the court of the extension agreement.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: BWLEGAL responded to my CPR request but not sure what to do next, please help!

Hi,

Thanks for response, yes I ackknowledged 2 days after receipt of claim that I would defend in full, so if claim has issue date of 15th Jan when would be best time to send request for extension to BWLEGAL? also is there any templates I should use to request an extension?

Many Thanks
      John

Comment

Ahh probably best to get in touch Monday in that case so you can get agreement to an extension and notify court before defence date of approx 13th Feb.

Quite a few people have got agreement for an extension off the back of a phone call or an email. The CPR is 15.5 .
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

No template, just phone and ask them to email their agreement to you.

I see no reason to wait. I'd just ask them now. Bear in mind that this isn't actually for them to comply late to your request, it is for you to get extra time for your defence. It is of no use to you to get these documents with only a day or 2 to spare and then have to rush your defence. Originally CPR gives you 14 days plus 14 more if you do AOS. They might try to say a day or 2 is fine for you. Boll0cks to that.

M1

Comment

Hi there,

thanks for your reply,

I sent an email to bw legal on Monday requesting extension as I hate dealing on phone with these people, no reply yet so I phoned them today to be told its on hold until they send me the requested details, they won't provide a confirmation! Of an extension, so I phoned NCC they have nothing from bwlegal to say extension is granted, so not sure what to do next, I'm panicking now as I don't want a default judgement made please help!

Many thanks
            John

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
              No template, just phone and ask them to email their agreement to you.

I see no reason to wait. I'd just ask them now. Bear in mind that this isn't actually for them to comply late to your request, it is for you to get extra time for your defence. It is of no use to you to get these documents with only a day or 2 to spare and then have to rush your defence. Originally CPR gives you 14 days plus 14 more if you do AOS. They might try to say a day or 2 is fine for you. Boll0cks to that.

M1
              As M1 says you better get a move on.

Comment

Originally posted by John.123 View Post
                Hi there,

thanks for your reply,

I sent an email to bw legal on Monday requesting extension as I hate dealing on phone with these people, no reply yet so I phoned them today to be told its on hold until they send me the requested details, they won't provide a confirmation! Of an extension, so I phoned NCC they have nothing from bwlegal to say extension is granted, so not sure what to do next, I'm panicking now as I don't want a default judgement made please help!
                That would be because it is up to YOU to notify the court that an extension has been agreed. Perhaps BW Legal need reminding about CPR rule 15.5:

Agreement extending the period for filing a defence

(1) The defendant and the claimant may agree that the period for filing a defence specified in rule 15.4 shall be extended by up to 28 days.

(2) Where the defendant and the claimant agree to extend the period for filing a defence, the defendant must notify the court in writing.

Comment

If they will not provide confirmation of an extension, you could apply to the court for an order for them to comply with the CPR request. Although they have agreed to hold off on the phone so you could just let the court know both parties have agreed to extension for time to file your defence while they sort out complying with your CPR request.

Otherwise, Having read back through your other thread, you recognise that you had a debt owing to Lloyds TSB, so an embarrassed defence isn't really appropriate as their POC does state account numbers etc.

I'm not sure what sum you think the debt should be or what paperwork you have regarding the debt, if you are concerned over having a CCJ regarding your future employment prospects (you work in bank IT dept?) then could attempt a negotiation with BW. eg. make an offer to pay the debt by installments over x years with a tomlin/consent order that the claim is stayed unless you default.

If BW legal sent you the CPR docs and they arrived in the post today what would your defence be ?

This account was just in my name with an overdraft I remember it being about £6000 OD limit, I remember Lloyds refusing to close account as it had outstanding overdraft so unable to close
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    If they will not provide confirmation of an extension, you could apply to the court for an order for them to comply with the CPR request. Although they have agreed to hold off on the phone so you could just let the court know both parties have agreed to extension for time to file your defence while they sort out complying with your CPR request.
                    They haven't agreed to a date and what they are proposing isn't allowed in the rules. In fact it's bullshit.

Phone one last time and explain that you have no choice but to make an application to the court if they insist on their ludicrous position.

Apply to the court for an order compelling disclosure or the claim is struck out.

M1

Comment

Thanks all,

so fact it's an overdraft the disclosure will be minimal and probably not gonna be much help to me, I assume not worth hinging my defence on lack of disclosure information? And I should just work with Bwlegal on a payment plan as ultimately I'm gonna have to pay it.

Any ideas what these people might accept as monthly amount and duration ? Would £100 pm until paid be a reasonable offer they might accept? Assume I can ask I would like to setup Tomlin order if their agreeable as I work for a bank and ccj would effect my employment.

many thanks
                      john

Comment

Please can someone advise what best thing to do I have no idea and feeling so anxious now.

Just looked at my credit report and sums don't add up on the claim, my report says I owe £6090 on overdraft, there claim says amount claimed £6800 + costs? Could extra £710 be further interest?

defence due date is Monday as claim papers have date of 15 jan,

i don't really want a ccj as it will effect my employment, but don't want to agree a Tomlin order with bwlegal as I'm not happy about their figures plus I never received the alleged default notice.

i would really appreciate if someone suggest best course of action whether it's one of these options,

1. Contact bwlegal? And try to agree Tomlinson order and payment plan? (Best to call or email?)

2. Apply to court for disclosure (how is this done?) as I never received requested docs and bwlegal would not confirm an extension with me.

i do apologise asking much the same questions but this whole affair has me very flustered, and I don't know which way to turn.

many thanks
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by John.123 View Post
                          Thanks all,

so fact it's an overdraft the disclosure will be minimal and probably not gonna be much help to me, I assume not worth hinging my defence on lack of disclosure information? And I should just work with Bwlegal on a payment plan as ultimately I'm gonna have to pay it.

Any ideas what these people might accept as monthly amount and duration ? Would £100 pm until paid be a reasonable offer they might accept? Assume I can ask I would like to setup Tomlin order if their agreeable as I work for a bank and ccj would effect my employment.

many thanks
                          john

An overdraft needs agreed and the terms would have been sent to you when you agreed. If the pocs mention this then they need it.

Pretty simple. See my last post.

M1

Comment

Hi M1,

Here's the POC, am I worth pursuing the details from them?

Thanks
                            J

Claimant is Lowell & Solicitor is BW Legal.
                            Amounts
                            Claimed is 6800.66
                            Court fee 190
                            Solicitor cost 100
                            Total 7090.66

Particulars of Claim
                            The Claimant s Claim is for the sum oi
                            7,090.66 being monies due from the
                            Defendant to the Claimant under a
                            Current Accounts agreement regulated by
                            the Consumer Credit Act 1974 between the
                            Defendant and
                            Lloyds TSB Plc
                            under account reference xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                            and assigned to the Claimant on 07/08/2012
                            notice of which has been given to the
                            Defendant.
                            The Defendant failed to maintain the
                            contractual payment under the terms of the
                            agreement and a default notice has been
                            served and not complied with.
                            The claim also includes statutory interest
                            pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts
                            Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum
                            daily rate of 1.34) from the date of
                            assignment of the agreement to the date of
                            issue (14/01/2014) being an amount of

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                              They haven't agreed to a date and what they are proposing isn't allowed in the rules. In fact it's bullshit.

Phone one last time and explain that you have no choice but to make an application to the court if they insist on their ludicrous position.

Apply to the court for an order compelling disclosure or the claim is struck out.

M1
                              Is your defence due today,if it is you need to do what M1 says IMO,if not they could get a judgement against you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X