• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shark Attack - Nat West - Shark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Attack - Nat West - Shark

Hiya all. Hopefully I can outline this as best as possible.

In Jan 2005 my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and as my only parent I was devastated and could not cope with work. I worked for Surrey Police as a civillian and the job was very stressful dealing with crime victims etc. With all that and my fathers illness I found myself deep in depression. Therefore was signed off by my doctor.

As a result of this finances were strained and I already had a 4k overdraft. Got into trouble due to no money and asked the Nat West for help. They forced me to consolidate my overdraft into a personal loan. Knowing all the circumstances, ie father and work etc. I told them at the time that it would not help and would make matters worse. They wouldnt listen. So I had to do it, I had no other option.

However, since I was looking after my sick father, and they knew this, I was unable to pay my monthly repayments. My father subsequently died in June 2005 and I just completely shut down. I then decided to run. I moved to Dorset first with a hope of getting a job to no avail. This was April 2006. I was still not able to pay Nat West. I stayed in Dorset for one year and then moved in July this year.

I was falling behind on my mortgage payments and then had to sell. So I relocated to Devon in the hope of joining Devon and Cornwall police which is ongoing and looks promising.

But since moving, I have now had solicitors letters relating to the Nat West loan. The loan was originally £8,100 they are now asking for nearly £20,000. This amount must include interest and other charges also including Court costs and solicitors fees. I contacted the solicitors and told them I am on Jobseekers allowance and offered to pay Nat West £20 per month, he told me that Nat West want £250 per month to stop any court proceedings. I told him that this was impossible. I have since paid two lots of £20 and have looked into the insurance side of things.

I contacted the insurance and have found out I am covered, I have got the forms and am in the process of getting them all signed etc. I contacted the solicitors and told them last week about the insurnace and low and behold yesterday I received court papers in the form of claim form and admissions etc.

Now, I am so worried and feel that I am getting deeper and deeper into trouble. Devon and Cornwall police have been checking my credit file and if they see any other adverse entries then I can wave goodbuy to that possible job.

I called National Help Debtline and they gave me this forum website. They cannot understand why over two years the amount of money the Nat West want has escalated into nearly £20k. They have told me to admit only part of the claim but I dont know what paperwork to send back. All of it or just the acknowledgement response pack or the defence and counterclaim doc. I dont know I just know I need help quick to put a stop to all this. I still have all the relevant paperwork to do with the loan.

I cant bear it anymore didnt sleep at all well last night have had to cancel appointments through all this worry. Well, thats about it in a nutshell.

Dont know what you might suggest, any help would be appreciated.
    Gayda

Re: Shark Attack - Nat West - Shark

First of all, calm down and don't panic. There will be light at the end of the tunnel, just may take a while to get there, but with help you CAN sort this out.

As you have all the original paperwork it should be fairly straightforward to work out what the total amount repayable was. Just multiply the monthly payment by the term of the loan, this will give you total payable, if its not shown on the paperwork. I'm no expert but I would think that what they are doing now is demanding the whole of the outstanding amount, plus any charges/solicitors/court costs etc.

You may be able to get the case adjourned while you gather your information together - a phone call to the court explaining your situation might help, court bods are generally helpful.

With regard to them demanding 250 a month, if and whhen this goes to court there's no way the judge would award it - you can't have whats not there!! Fill in an income and expenditure form, detailing all your incomings and outgoings, and send a copy of this with the court paperwork. You will need to respond to the claim, but I'm not an expert on this so I'm sure someone will be along to advise on this later.

Chase up the insurance urgently and see if they will backdate it (some do, some don't). this might generate enough to pay a decent amount off straight away, but no guarantees there.

Above all, if you need any more help - just shout! Sometimes its a bit quiet on here but we're like buses - you wait for ages then they all come along at once.

Post back if you need more help.

Wendy
    Is no longer here

Comment

Welcome Gayda

The first priority is to send back your court forms stating that you intend to defend part of this claim. You dont have to give any detail at this stage, just respond.

You have 14 days from now to do this. Then you have a further 14 days to come up with the defence you intend to use to fight this claim.

We are working on a letter to send to Natwest asking for full disclosure of how this debt jumped from 8k to 20k in only 2 years.

We have established from our earlier chat that you have 2 defaults on your credit record, although you didnt receive anything from the bank itself on this, just when you viewed your file. This may be useful later.

Don't automatically assume that your job will be in danger because of this, keep communicating with the police and hopefully they will be supportive.

Keep positive, this is 100% fightable.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks Wendy. Hopefully things will work out. I will do as you say and try and calculate it all.

regards
        Gayda
        Gayda

Comment

And you've got Celestine on the case now as well -thats a bonus for anyone!!
          Is no longer here

Comment

Yes Celestine has been very helpful. I just hope all this will go away very very soon and be a little more stable. I just want to get on with my life.
            :crazy:
            Gayda

Comment

Hey Gayda... be nice if things would just bugger off and let us be wouldnt it.

Have a look at Sapphires thread - not exactly the same situation but should give you an idea of what to expect.

It would be helpful if you can post up the wording of the Particulars of Claim they submitted on the N1. Also whats in the value and totals boxes on the form.

First step is to get acknowledgement in as the others have said - just say you intend to defend in full - it doesnt commit you to defending the whole claim - and the likelihood is you'll admit theoriginal sum owing anyway.

Once we have the POC we should know more and which bits to defend and admit etc

Ame
              xx
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The wording is:-

By an agreement entered into between the Claimant and the Defendant, the Defendant has failed to pay the sum of £18759.32 or any part thereof. The Claimant has requested payment but the Defendant has refused or delayed to pay. The Claimant claims the sum of £18759.32 and interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from 30/08/2007 until judgement or sooner payment. Costs. The claim does not include issues under the Human Rights Act 1998.
                Gayda

Comment

Wendy,

In the values and totals boxes on the form is:-

Amount Claimed: 18759.32
                  Court Fee: 390.00
                  Solicitors Costs: 100.00
                  Total Amount: 19249.32

A shed load of money to owe. omg its a nightmare. I did as you said and totalled the monthly repayments which were over 120 months at 163.11 and the total amount payable would be 19,573.20. It seems to get worse the more I look at it.

Gayda

Comment

Okay

How much was the original loan ? £8100

How much have you actually paid off ?

You can request information off of the claimants by using a part 18 request. This applies as the total is over £5000 thus will be in fast track and full disclosure will apply. You also want a copy of the original credit agreement. You want a full statement of the account from its inception too.

Then we can see what charges and fees have been added which we might be able to get taken off the total. But if u havent paid much off over the time then its likely you will owe the £19k, and have to fight to pay by installment.

Do you own your own home now ? Is there equity in it ?

We'll have a work on a letter and part 18 for you.

Ame
                    x
                    Last edited by Amethyst; 6th September 2007, 15:52:PM.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Oh also meant to say - when we do the defence we will use all your personal circumstances to argue you shouldnt have been coerced into having the loan in the first place. Needs looking into first tho. Might relieve some of the interest burden if the judge agrees.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Okay

You can request information off of the claimants by using a part 18 request. This applies as the total is over £5000 thus will be in fast track and full disclosure will apply. You also want a copy of the original credit agreement. You want a full statement of the account from its inception too.

Should we also whack off a CCA request to Natwest just for starters???

We'll have a work on a letter and part 18 for you.

Ame
                        x
                        We've got a template in the library...will go find
                        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi Ame, When this was taken out I was not really in a fit state of mind with my fathers illness and being off work due to depression and stress which was more related to my father than anything else. Work was just an added pressure which I could not take.

As for this consolidation loan not a lot has been paid off since the start. I have the customer copy of the loan and in the figures the bank has included:-

Amount of loan: 8,100
                          Insurance Loan: 2,655
                          Credit A+B+C: 10,755

Total Charge for Credit not able to see properly as stamped across is Customer Copy. But it is in the amount of approx.

Total Charge for Credit: 8,8**.20
                          Total Amount Payable: 19,573.20

Annual percentage rate: 14.3%
                          Repayments due one month after the Credit is drawn and monthly thereafter as follows: 120 repayments of £163.11

Comprising

Main loan Repayment: 122.84
                          Insurance Loan Repayment 40.27

Thats what is on the original Customer Copy for the agreement.

regards
                          Gayda
                          Gayda

Comment

Excellent Thanks Gayda.

Any idea roughly how much you might have paid off ? Vaguely recollect how many months you managed to make the payments for ?

If not dont worry we should get the info off them under the Part 18....maybe back it up with a DPA too if you havent already done so.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi Cel, whats a CCA request. ????
                              xx
                              Gayda

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X