• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff visit

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

My partner has had a notice handed to her 19 year old daughter while we were out from a bailiff. It's a red paper slip that is apparently from "HM Courts and Tribunals Service"

It says

"The county court bailiff has made a visit to your address

Unfortunately, you were not available

Please contact the bailiff department as a matter of urgency

Automated payment line (for warrants only) 03000132088"

My partner suffers from a few mental health problems and is absolutely clueless about these things. I phoned the number up and spoke to the mam briefly about his visit. He mentioned it was a debt of £2000 roughly. He said he was only interested in receiving roughly £240 for the warrant and then a payment plan can be set up with the courts for the remaining. He also offered the warrant money can be also paid off in 3 installments. He was perfectly respectful over the phone, assume that's part of his job. Anyway my partner no idea what the debt is for and we're totally unsure about having to pay it and what options she can take.

She hasn't had any letters other than this note that was handed to her daughter at the door.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Try not to worry.

What your partner can do as she has health issues, is email the following letter to the bailiffs and the Creditor.

If you have evidence, i.e. doctors letter etc, that would help. Ask the bailiff to return the debt to the Creditor.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sam...vulnerable-ew/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...re-vulnerable/

Update the thread.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I have checked that letter template and I won't be able to fill it out perfectly as I have zero understanding of who the debt is from, account numbers or dates etc.

"please askEnter the name of your creditor here (required) [enter the name of your creditor here]*
      to take the debt back and accept payments of £Enter your payment offer here (required)
      [enter your payment offer here]*

I am not sure who the original debt is from and do I even want to make an offer of a set amount due to not acknowledging the debt yet?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by enabled View Post
        Thanks for the response.

I have checked that letter template and I won't be able to fill it out perfectly as I have zero understanding of who the debt is from, account numbers or dates etc.

"please askEnter the name of your creditor here (required) [enter the name of your creditor here]*
        to take the debt back and accept payments of £Enter your payment offer here (required)
        [enter your payment offer here]*

I am not sure who the original debt is from and do I even want to make an offer of a set amount due to not acknowledging the debt yet?

Thanks
        It's a template, so it can be amended to suit your circumstances. If you don't know who the Creditor is, just put 'Creditor', no doubt when it's returned the Creditor will write to you.

Comment

As I am not sure who this debt is from, exact amounts will this letter be ok? I will upload a PNG to URL - https://ibb.co/GM8LGkB

Comment

As I am not sure who this debt is from, exact amounts will this letter be ok? I will upload a PNG to URL - https://ibb.co/GM8LGkB
            Yes, it's fine but change 'me' to 'Donna'. If your Donna's representative, then the whole letter needs to reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Yes, it's fine but change 'me' to 'Donna'. If your Donna's representative, then the whole letter needs to reflect that.
              Already done, noticed the fault after reading.

So do I now email this to the email address on the leaflet which is darlingtoncountycourt@justice.gov.uk - Should I put the bailiffs name on the subject header as he has left his name and direct phone number too. I obviously can not forward a letter onto a creditor as they have not stated who it is. Can the bailiff point blank refuse?

Comment

Already done, noticed the fault after reading.

So do I now email this to the email address on the leaflet which is darlingtoncountycourt@justice.gov.uk - Should I put the bailiffs name on the subject header as he has left his name and direct phone number too. I obviously can not forward a letter onto a creditor as they have not stated who it is. Can the bailiff point blank refuse?
                Yes, email it to the Court.

'Should I put the bailiffs name on the subject header as he has left his name and direct phone number too', yes.

Comment

Ok I have sent the email. Is there any time scale on a response? As in are they required to respond to myself within a certain amount of days/weeks? Just tryiung to prepare for next actions.

Thanks

Comment

Ok I have sent the email. Is there any time scale on a response? As in are they required to respond to myself within a certain amount of days/weeks? Just tryiung to prepare for next actions.

Thanks
                    It would be reasonable to expect a response within 2 weeks, but as you've directed the email for the attention of a named person, I anticipate it will be much quicker.

Comment

Ok just updating to say I haven't received anything back, no even a acknowledgement of the email. No visits to the home either. Not sure if I need to send another or just carry on waiting

Comment

Ok just updating to say I haven't received anything back, no even a acknowledgement of the email. No visits to the home either. Not sure if I need to send another or just carry on waiting
                        No harm in emailing again, it might be they are still dealing with it or have a 'backlog'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X