• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Requesting an extension to submit my defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting an extension to submit my defense

As a LIP I need to request an extension for my defense. I initially made this request to the claimant's solicitor although it was rejected. How do I make this request to the court? And do I need to submit an N244 form?
    Tags: None

Have you Acknowledged of Service?

That gives to an extra 14 days to file your defence. So that's 28 days from the date on the Claim form.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Have you Acknowledged of Service?

That gives to an extra 14 days to file your defence. So that's 28 days from the date on the Claim form.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/
      Yes I have acknowledged service and that 14 days will be up next week. I need an extra month as I have been without legal assistance due to the August holiday period and the claimant has refused an extension. So what is the process for contacting the court to ask an extension? I need to submit an N244 form? And who do I submit it to?

Comment

I'm not saying the Court won't allow an extension (you would need a good reason), but as the other party has refused to extend, you might have a 'battle' on your hands.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...l/rules/part15

You could get your Defence in, then seek the Courts permission to 'amend' it.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/am...t%20permission,....

atticus Any advice appreciated.

Comment

I would ask the Claimants solicitors on what grounds are they refusing your extension request.

Advise them that should they continue to refuse your extension, then you will be making an application to the Court for the Courts permission for the same, and that you'll highlight the Claimants solicitors conduct to the Court and seek your costs for making and attending the application.

If you do need to make an application, compete the N244 form to the best of your ability, and include a witness statement so you can highlight to the Court that you have attempted to agree the extension, but the Claimiant Solicitors refused. You'll have to pay the application fee £275, and you need to send the application to the Court which this case is currently sitting with, likely the CCMCC or the OMCC.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X