• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to defend a claim in the small claims court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to defend a claim in the small claims court

Hello,

I have received a claim form form a firm of solicitors, of all people, for fees, for bad service, that I have refused to pay. I did not ignore their letters claiming the money and I made clear the nature of my complaint about their services. However, the claim is for £1400, including costs so it may not be worth hiring a solicitor to represent me as it could cost me more, especially if I lose. I have defended and made claims myself, before, but I do not want to make mistakes.

I paid the solicitors a good amount of money but I refused to pay more because they were abusing.

So that is why I am here asking for advice. Under these circumstances, what would be the best way to work on this one? Get advice from someone, but who? get a solicitor on a fixed fee, get a MacKenzie friend?

Does anybody know people who can help on this kind of thing without charging people as if they were a corporation.

I have forgotten how long the court gives to reply.

BTW, the claim is personal, not related to business.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Comment

nore real detail needed

Comment

As you were disputing the solicitors fees, you could have got a final response / deadlock letter and lodged a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman, but because legal proceedings has started, that option is no longer available.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          As you were disputing the solicitors fees, you could have got a final response / deadlock letter and lodged a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman, but because legal proceedings has started, that option is no longer available.
          I see. I was going to complain anyhow, maybe after the court process.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
            nore real detail needed
            I have not done here as I was first asking from whom to get help. I would have to put all the documents here and I cannot do that. It will have to be in private.

Comment

Sorry open question answers no documents unles asked without any knowledge without personal details and references is all we ask so that responses may be afforded

Comment

Celestine may able to look in here

Comment

The process of defending the claim will be broadly as per our guides, but you will need to draft a defence setting out clearly why you dispute these fees and the processes you have explored thus far to resolve the problem.
                  Ultimately, if your concerns and complaints are valid, the court could actually sort them out for you, so I'd start jotting down a fairly detailed timeline of what happened, when and why.
                  You need to think whether you need to request any documents from them to defend your case.
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                    The process of defending the claim will be broadly as per our guides, but you will need to draft a defence setting out clearly why you dispute these fees and the processes you have explored thus far to resolve the problem.
                    Ultimately, if your concerns and complaints are valid, the court could actually sort them out for you, so I'd start jotting down a fairly detailed timeline of what happened, when and why.
                    You need to think whether you need to request any documents from them to defend your case.
                    We'll do, thank you.
                    Yes, I will need their documents. They claim they are charging for hours on days in which I claim they did not work for me. Also, in their final letter, they did not attach anything like time sheets, which makes me think it was not a proper letter before action.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X