• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Solicitors usual debt letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Solicitors usual debt letter

Hello,

I received the usual letter from ambulance chasers Lowell Solicitors. I need advice.

1- They tell me the usual story that I have a debt with a phone company.

2- I have been out of the country, without an address here, for 2 years. They may have got my present address from the Electoral register.

3- Or it could be because I requested a mobile phone service, back in October, from that operator and they said no on checking my credit record. It cannot be that because they rejected me and why did they not tell me there was a debt, then, if it is true?

4- I do not remember a dispute with that company although I used them years ago. Is there a time limit to make a claim?

5- If it is true there is a debt, why did they not write to me, or with solicitors then, before I left the country?

6- Or they could have written to me while I was out of the country. Lowell says there is a CCJ and I would remember it if it came before I left the country. If they sent a demand for payment and/or CCJ to an address where I did not live, is it valid?

7- They claim there can be costs. is this true and, if so, would they be valid if I never knew about their claim?

I have some possibilities:

1- Call their bluff, do not respond and wait to see if they will really go back to court. Is their technique to make sure that they have the correct person and address with your response?

2- They wrote my name wrong. Send their letter back saying there is no-one by that name here.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Or option 3 - reply asking for more information as you don't recognise the debt.

Any idea how long ago you last had a phone with that company? Does anything show on your credit file relating to them at all?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello,
      Thanks for the reply.
      Trying to remember, I had a dispute with a mobile phone company several years ago. I did give them all the reasons why I cancelled my payments and told them they were in breach of contract. I do not remember if it was the same one but that matter was left like that. While I was still in the country, I did not get the nasty letters from the solicitors or a court summons. Like I said, why did they not say it when I approached them at the end of last year either, because they had sold the problem to these solicitors?
      I am saying I am proceeding with caution about writing to them and identifying myself. It would be nice to know if other people ignored them and they did not take the matter further.

Comment

You could ignore for now, and reply if you get a 'letter of claim' ( see https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-for-reference for what a letter of claim looks like - if you get one of those you should reply) ….. and use this time to get info from the original company to help you decide if you are going to defend the case or negotiate a settlement - send a SAR Subject Access Request Letter
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yes, I can see that theirs is not a proper letter of claim with the options to respond, etc, as on your link. It is the one page one trying to suss me out. if they sent an original letter of claim to an old address, when I was our of the country, it is their problem.

Comment

Okay, you can file it away, send a SAR to the original creditor to gather info so you are ready and informed if they do send a letter of claim, and wait and see.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks, I will just wait and see if they are bluffing spending money on the claim

Comment

Originally posted by committeddad View Post
                Thanks, I will just wait and see if they are bluffing spending money on the claim
                Good luck with ignoring it because they already have a CCJ against you. All they have to do is pass it on to the high court which will cost them about £60 (which will be added on) & then you will be incurring additional expenses & there will be nothing you can do about it.

Ignoring a CCJ is not wise.

Lowells are not going to lie about you having a CCJ.
                Last edited by GBExile; 4th August 2019, 20:12:PM.

Comment

Ahhh didn't realise they said they already had a ccj - should show on your credit file or the judgment register at least if there is and it was obtained within the last six years.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Without knowing much about the legal process, and from what other people say in the forum, I reckon their CCJ is invalid because:

1- Like I said, if it is the company I remember having a dispute with, I told them several times I was ending my contract early as they were in breach of contract. Then they went quiet, why?
                    2- They did not take me to court while I was still in the country
                    3- I did not receive court papers so that I could defend myself
                    4- If they sent them to an old address and while I was out of the country and while I did not have an address in the UK, it is their problem.
                    5- It is too late now to show the court the exchange of correspondence giving my reasons. I do not have the papers anymore.
                    6- It is coming to 6 years since I had a dispute. I did not receive a court claim in that time.

Comment

Have you checked the register / your credit file to see if there is a ccj ? and if there is , when it was obtained ? As this is the first you know of it you could consider applying to set aside the judgment.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Can do. yes I was thinking about that, mainly to try and remove the CCJ from my credit score, if possible.

Comment

https://legalbeagles.info/library/ho...-judgment-ccj/
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X