• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Hi,

I received a court claim from Cohen Cramer and immediately fired off the letters asking for proof of the debt. I receive replies from cohen cramer and lowell (attached) but then receive another letter from the County Courts informing me the judgement has gone against me. Do I have any way that I can get the judgement reversed or do I have to pay?

Many thanks in advance for helping me out!
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

So you sent off a CCA and CPR letter but didn't put your acknowledgement of service to court ? or did you acknowledge and then just not file a defence ? ?

If you pay in full within 28 days of the judgment date the CCJ will not be recorded on the register or your credit file for the next 6 years.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I put in an acknowledgement of service but didn't file a defence. I was waiting for the paperwork from cohen cramer as I believed I'd need to use that in my defence

Comment

Ok. No you have to put in a defence by the deadline unless you formally agree an extension to the defence date.

Can see this was originally a BT Plc debt - was this home phone / broadband etc ? As it wasn't a loan/credit card/catalogue debt the CCA request wasn't really relevant, unless there was credit for a device as well as the service contract. So just the CPR request really - Cohen Cramer replied stating that if you needed more time to file your defence to agree an extension with them. Your defence would have been due around 9th March so this Default Judgment has come through quite quickly.

So to apply to set aside would cost you £255... as much almost as the Judgment (£322). Do you have a dispute over the debt that would have enabled you to defend it ? ( was it a early termination type charge added to the account when you stopped using BT ? ) You'd have to show gopd reason why you didn't file your defence, unfortunately there isn't any misleading '' account on hold '' type comments in those letters from the claimant & solicitors so might be an uphill struggle.

The order is to pay by installments of £50 a month - however if you do that you will have a CCJ against you for 6 years, so to avoid that you would have to pay the full amount before about 10th April ( judgment date 14th March plus 28 days )

Ahh can see you've looked at a set aside possibility already from your note on the judgment xx It doesn't seem like a viable option due to the amounts unless you have a very real chance of success at defending the case ( eg. if it was ID theft and not your debt ) if you applied and it went to a set aside hearing and you lost it there would be additonal costs added as well.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to look over and reply I think I'll try and get it paid within 28 days. I don't want a ccj on my credit file for the next 6 years!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X