• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lay representative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lay representative

Evening all
    I am in the process of lodging an appeal against a claim lost in the small claims, I was helped by a friend who acted as my lay representative, I have searched, I think, the entire internet and cannot find anything that would say I can or can not, the question is, can my Lay rep: submit a witness statement to my appeal as he was there and heard what was said by the judge
    Tags: None

Of course he can. Whether that will help you is a different question.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

PD 27A 5.1A
      A hearing that takes place at the court will be tape recorded by the court
      A party may obtain a transcript of such a recording on payment......
      May be no need for your friend's witness statement if you obtain the transcript

Comment

Absolutely many thanks ATTICUS and PEZZA54, obtaining a transcript may take time but thanks all the same, I'll go down the witness statement route, fingers crossed

Comment

Transcripts are not cheap.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry I completely agree with atticus here but also have some experience to add.

So you lost a small claims trial, if you asked for permissioon to appeal at the hearing, you will need to wait for your N460 with reasons allowing/refusing permission to appeal.

You then need to file your appellant's notice (n164 form).

At that position you do not need a witness statement, nor a transcript. You must first submit the notice, along with the reasons for refusing permission to appeal (if you asked at the first hearing)

DO NOT submit any further documents at this stage. You do not submit a witness statement at this stage either. You do not need a transcript at this stage and should not order one, nor submit one if you already have it.

Infact if you try and submit anything further you may find the court just rejects the appeal documents alltogether and makes you refile them correctly.

If/When you are directed to order you should choose the cheapest 12 day turnaround provider you can, this means it should only end up costing £40ish for a standard judgement, although if your judgement was longer this will cost more.

Comment

Hi jk2054 many thanks I didn't ask for permission to appeal as it was all a bit of blur trying to digest the Judges comments and sarcastic digs, it was only later discussing what had happened that we realised the mistakes made by the judge and the court, I filed an appellants notice, I was given a date to file according to PD52B 4.2(d) which is what I'm doing now, but thought if I added a witness statement from my friend as he was in court with me to try and add weight sorry I wrote my first question wrong I haven't been given or asked for permission I asking now, thanks everyone

Comment

upload the court paperwork please

Comment

Hi JK2054 I hope this helps many thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	judgement order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1687306

Comment

shall deal with this later

Comment

Best to read Chapter 20 Appeals in the Handbook for Litigants in Person - link at bottom of Atticus's post above
                      6 pages covering the appeal process

Comment

Please google " 2tg Supreme Court Guidance on Judicial Unfairness" and read the notes about the case covered
                        In particular paragraph 4 The judges frequent interventions rendered the trial unfair
                        Paragraph 6 the judge should remain aloof and neutral
                        Last edited by Pezza54; 23rd August 2024, 16:20:PM.

Comment

Pezza54 thank you brilliant that

Comment

Small Claims cases are different.

Comment

The advice by pezza is completely wrong unfortunately because it does not relate to your case type. please bare this in mind as any references to it will likely show the appeal judge that you are just misconceieved and referencing random judgements in hope

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X