• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No response from Claimant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No response from Claimant

On behalf of a colleague. She filed a defence against claimant (£200.00) middle of February to which there was no reply.
    The court had stayed the claim after 30 days. Phoned the court today who said if I want the case struck off I need to send an
    application to do so at a cost of £106.00. Is this really the only way around this ? Otherwise this claim will be forever be out there
    hanging in the balance.

Please advise on her next move
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Please read hallellis.co.uk/strike-out-applications/

The claimant could apply to have the strike out removed and if he or she has good reasons for not returning form N180, could be successful.

Your colleague could have spent £106 to no avail.

My advice would be to let sleeping dogs lie. There must be a time limit (possibly 6 months?) when the claimant would have to file the claim and pay the court fee again.

Others on the forum might provide different advice.

Comment

If the claim is stayed it will remain stayed in perpetuity.

Now it is stayed if the claimant wishes to proceed they must make an application to the court, serve that application on your colleague and pay the fee of £275. That said there is always an exception, if they can prove they sent the N180 Directions Questionnaire and the court has made a clerical error then a court officer may lift the stay of their own volition.

The court ought to know that the fee of £108 is an application by consent, in other words the claimant has agreed to the application and understands that if they lose it they may be liable for the cost of the application.

In a Strike Out application that would be madness, the claimant can issue a Notice of Discontinuance for free and end this if they wish.

If you wish to file an application to Strike Out then it will cost £275 (unless you do have consent), the application must be filed with the court and served on the claimant. If successful you can ask that the claimant becomes liable for the fee, but if not then it would have just been cheaper to settle for the £200 plus £35 court fees being claimed by the claimant.

'Letting sleeping dogs lay' is one route, however if the claimant does intend to pursue this, when they do not hear from the court after a certain period of time they will contact the court and things will go from there.

Ultimately it is your colleagues claim and they should conduct it how they feel best to defend in the way they see fit.

You haven't provided full details of what the claim is for and who is claiming (not names, but what relation that party is to the defendant), so it's difficult to theorise about why the claimant may not have sent the N180 back.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X