• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unenforced CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unenforced CCJ

Hi, could anyone please advise on the length of time a creditor has to commence enforcement action on a CCJ. I received a CCJ over ten years ago, but have not had any further contact from the creditor, until recently when they wrote to me threatening enforcement action, unless I made either full payment or a arrangement to pay. I have been at the same address as when the CCJ was issued so I have not been trying to evade the issue. Any advice gratefull received.*
    Tags: None

They would need to apply for permission to enforce after 6 years and you can argue against it with section 24 of the limitations act. You could reply to their letter pointing this out.

Time limit for actions to enforce judgments.
    (1)An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2)No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

That's great, thanks for the advice

Comment

Of course they were hoping you would not find out.

Comment

Further to my original post more information has come to light, the CCJ was for a credit card debt which then had a charging order attached, as mentioned I heard nothing for years but apparently the CCJ has recently been transferred to another DCA I was notified of this but at the time didn't realise what was going on, so my question now, if anyone could help, is this, does the transfer of the CCJ automatically transfer the CO, or would they DCA need to apply to transfer the CO separately? Just want to have as much information as possible before I contact them..
          Thanks*

Comment

If there is a charging order that means the CCJ has been enforced, so the limitations act info previously wouldn't apply. The Charging Order secures the Judgment Debt. The new owner of the debt would simply need to do a transfer of the restriction with the land registry if they so wished to enforce the Charging Order ( potentially by applying for a sale order - but they are rare and depend hugely on your circumstances ).

Did the current owner of the judgment debt mention the charging order at all in their letter about enforcement ? ( they may not be aware - in which case you could say 'limitations' and see if they actually investigate and find the original judgment holder obtained a restriction )

However, as there is a charge securing the judgment debt it is likely to pop back up again in the future. To have the restriction removed you would have to have the charge holder inform the land registry they no longer have an interest in the property, and to do that they're going to want the debt to have been settled.
            Personally I'd either make an arrangement to pay the Judgment debt by installments or, if possible, try and negotiate a full and final settlement to settle the debt and have the restriction removed.

How much is the judgment debt ?

btw you should have had contact at the time the judgment creditor applied for a charge - by them, the court and the land registry.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, yes they referred to the CO in the letter, the amount is 4600, the debt is in my name but the property is jointly owned, I have requested copies of the CO from the DCA to confirm exactly what they are chasing, I'll probably be looking at a payment arrangement, thanks for your help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X