• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Link chasing a CCJ from 2006

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link chasing a CCJ from 2006

Hi
    I recently got a call from Link Financial chasing a CCJ from a credit card from 2006. On the phone I said I didn’t know anything about it
    I had some financial difficulty at this time and had a house repossessed.
    The amount they claim is for £8000 but I’ve been on the electoral register for years so not sure why this has come back after 13 years!
    whats the best approach?
    Tags: None

If it defaulted / you stopped paying 13 years ago then it is likely the debt is statute barred. Have you been in a debt management plan or anything in the intervening years where you might have made payments ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst
      I don’t think I have ever paid anything on it! I was never in a debt management plan. After I had my house repossessed due to having to close my business I guess at the time I had nothing left for anyone to take.
      I thought CCJ s weren’t statute barred?

Comment

Ahhh they already have a CCJ - apologies I thought they were applying for a CCJ.

Did they get the CCJ in 2006 then? Any enforcement action taken at all in the intervening 13 years? charging order maybe?

If a CCJ hasn't been enforced within 6 years of it being obtained then the judgment holder has to apply to court for permission to enforce. What are Link actually threatening? and were Link the original claimant?

The CCJ will have fallen off the register and your credit file, and Link would have to evidence its existence which, after 13 years they may struggle with - so it really depends what happened at the time, if they just obtained a default judgment against you then did nothing until now, they're going to be pretty stuffed.

Originally posted by for ref Limitation Act 1980

24 Time limit for actions to enforce judgments.

(1)An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2)No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The original claimant was a credit card I think they said MBNA. After my house was repossessed in 2007 I’m not aware of any enforcement action and certainly nothing that I’ve responded to in the last 12-13 years.
          I’m not entirely sure what link are threatening yet as I didn’t stay on the line long enough.
          I just said I think you must have the wrong person. She asked my D.O.B. and she said no it’s definitely you and if not I needed to go to the police as someone must have been pretending to be me!
          At that point I ended the call.

Comment

You can just refuse to answer their security questions as the caller could be anyone fishing for info. Therefore everything should be put in writing only.

Comment

Hi Ploddertom
              Yes they caught me off guard as I actually thought it was to do with something else!

Comment

I have now received two letters from Link chasing two HFO debts.
                The letter just states they have not contacted me for sometime as they have had to locate my address and just asking me to contact them. Just ignore?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X