• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim received from builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crickers View Post
    MCOL shows under my claim status

Your defence was submitted on 27/02/2019 at 12:22:08
    Your defence was received on 27/02/2019 at 14:02:26
    DQ sent to you on 28/02/2019

So does this mean he has chosen to continue?

As a side note my wife has also received a claim form with the same claim reference, so we are both defendants. I'm presuming everything that has been discussed so far can apply to both of us?
    It means that the process has moved on, with his DQ he'll be asked if he wishes to continue. Expect him to continue btw as if he's not bright enough to realise he should be pursuing you as a company not individual I doubt he'll be bright enough even when it's right in his face to realise his mistake.

Yes it applies to both of you as you contracted with the Ltd company not him.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Yes it applies to both of you as you contracted with the Ltd company not him.
      Sorry, I seem to have missed something in the Thread: how do we know that Mrs Surname is a genuine party to the claim and not Mr Surname on his own?
      They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. That being the case then I have enough to be lethal.

Comment

We both signed the agreement.

Although my wife signed with her previous surname as this was before we were married.
        Her claim has been issued using her married surname, which I'm guessing is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickers View Post
          We both signed the agreement.

Although my wife signed with her previous surname as this was before we were married.
          Her claim has been issued using her married surname, which I'm guessing is correct.
          OK - thanks for clarifying.

The name style is not a matter to be concerned with.
          They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. That being the case then I have enough to be lethal.

Comment

Received our DQ's in the post today and they need to returned by the 18th March.

Sorry questions now.

Whats the best way forward, keep checking MCOL to see if he files a NoD or amends the names?

If not how long do we wait before applying to strike out the claim?
            Last edited by Chickenbrick; 1st March 2019, 16:34:PM.

Comment

Fill in and return the DQ’s (link in my signature how).

He is obliged, as are you to file with the court and serve on all other parties. Therefore either await him serving you his DQ or if you have not heard anything by 18th phone the court to see if he has filed his with them.

if he serves you or files with them, file an application to strike out the claim.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks.

As a side note, what is the best way to serve copies to the claimant?

Is proof of postage sufficient as previously I have used Royal Mail signed for which was never signed for..

Comment

You can send it Standard Royal Mail first class and it is assumed in the CPR’s that he has been served 2 days after.

Get a proof of posting receipt.

Comment

If it comes to having to apply for the strike out, here's what to do

You want N244: https://assets.publishing.service.go...4_web_0818.pdf

3. What order are you asking the court to make and why ?

(1) The claim be struck out pursuant to CPR 3.4(2) on the grounds that the Claimant's name is incorrect, the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for being brought by this claimant and/or is an abuse of the court's process, or alternatively
                    (2) Summary judgement be given against the Claimant under CPR 24.2 on the ground that the claim has no real prospect of success and there is no other compelling reason why the case should be disposed of at a trial and
                    (3) The Claimant should pay the Defendant's costs of these proceedings

4. No
                    5. Without a hearing
                    8. District Judge
                    9. Claimant
                    10. Witness Statement

Use the Witness Statements template for formatting it and put in the below.

I, <<YOUR NAME>>, of <<YOUR ADDRESS>>, am the Defendant in this case and make this Witness Statement in support of my application for the claim to be struck out, or alternatively for summary judgement, and will state as follows;
                    1. The claimant's name is "<<NAME ON CLAIM FORM>>" and is the director of <<COMPANY NAME>> Limited.
                    2. The defendants have never entered into contract with the claimant individually, as stated in the claimants statement of case.
                    3. Enclosed and marked LB1 is a copy of the contract between the defendants and <<COMPANY NAME>> Limited.
                    4. We do not believe an order to rectify this technical error would further the overriding objective at this stage.
                    5. The claim discloses no cause of action for the claimant as an individual to bring it.
                    6. The claim discloses no detail as to any sum allegedly owed to the claimant as an individual.
                    7. So far as we am able to understand the claim it is denied.
                    8. Therefore we ask that Summary judgement be given against the Claimant under CPR 24.2 on the grounds that the claim has no real prospect of success and there is no other compelling reason why the case should be disposed of at a trial
                    9. As an alternative to summary judgement, we seek to strike out the Particulars of Claim on the grounds that the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for being brought by this individual and/or is an abuse of the court's process.
                    Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.

Last edited by jaguarsuk; 7th March 2019, 17:04:PM.

Comment

Thanks Jaguarsuk,

Nothing has been received yet from the claimant and no further updates on MCOL.

We will wait until early next week before returning our DQ's. Don't want to show the claimant that he has to serve and provide copies, which if he doesn't know might be apparent when he receives ours.

Any tips for getting all of section 3 text in the form box as it will only take 3 lines when edited with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?
                      Last edited by Chickenbrick; 7th March 2019, 15:10:PM.

Comment

In the box type "Please see Separate Sheet Attached." Use the format of the Witness Statement Template and replace the heading "Witness Statement" with "N244 Continuation Sheet."

In the content portion of the sheet add it as follows:

3. What order are you asking the court to make and why?

1. The claim be struck out pursuant to CPR 3.4(2) on the grounds that the Claimant's name is incorrect, the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for being brought by this claimant and/or is an abuse of the court's process, or alternatively
                        2. Summary judgement be given against the Claimant under CPR 24.2 on the ground that the claim has no real prospect of success and there is no other compelling reason why the case should be disposed of at a trial and
                        3. The Claimant should pay the Defendant's costs of these proceedings

Comment

Just a little update....

Posted our DQ's on the 14th March to meet the 18th March deadline with copies served to claimant. Have received nothing so far from the claimant so unsure if they have filed.

Nothing updated on the MCOL website yet, so called and found out they are behind with processing the DQ's and currently working on those dated 6th March.

Guess will now have to wait for the DQ's to be processed, MCOL updated and then submit our N244's if required.

Comment

Further update... MCOL now showing DQ filed by claimant on 25/03/2019, so either it's a week late or it was back logged, only processed today and given today's date as filed.

We have not received a copy of the claimant's DQ.

A little concerned now as our DQ's were posted on the 14th March and have still not appeared on MCOL (update they have been filed today 26/03/2019)

We will now apply for the strike out.
                            Last edited by Chickenbrick; 26th March 2019, 11:39:AM.

Comment

Yes, it would seem you’ll have to make the application to strike out the claim.

Comment

We both submitted an application to strike out the claim on the 27/03/2019, although my wife's was returned saying we have have already received your application.

Wasn't sure if we needed to submit one each but hopefully just mine will be sufficient to proceed. I did call and then email the court to clarify that we both wish to apply for strike out, as the remaining application only has my name on it.

The claim was transferred to my local court on the 29/03/2019 and there are no further updates as yet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X