• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays not actively persuing the debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays not actively persuing the debt

I have a debt with Barclays that I have been paying for years and I mean years, a considerable amount was charges, 3k loan and overdraft.

I received a letter back from Barclays, as when agreed the plan they offered to pay 3k and the balance be written off to which I sent a question to query:

Thank you for your letter (deadlock that has been sent to me), to which within contradicts Barclays position within the letter alone.

Your letter states as the debt is over 6 years, and that you cant locate the letter that was sent to me you will not be chasing the debt.

In the next sentence you state that to contact recovery's for a settlement.

I called that team this evening, the first lady had great difficulty finding anything and after 10 minutes said she was transferring me to business as it was a business overdraft. I have never had a business overdraft, it was a loan and bounced charges that you applied to the account in one bulk and was due to a poor relationship manager. You attempted to take me court, which was cancelled as you couldn't even get my name correct.

The guy in business recoverys said I don't know how to deal, you need to speak to complaints. I asked about perusing of the debt he said I cant answer that, when put through to the complaints line it said you were closed.

This is the poor service that got me in the mess in the first place all of those years, I have kept my side of the agreement and I would ask that you keep to your side.
    I would like clarification on this issue, please could you confirm that the debt is no longer going to be pursued. I will be passing your current letter to the ombudsman, also.

If you could reply to my email I would appreciate it.

A reply came today:

It states no longer actively persuing the debt, but it still stands as an outstanding balance on the account, so if you wish to clear it call recoveries.

How would you interpretate that?

Tags: None

Okay, it means they aren't going to chase you for the debt, and won't take you to court for it ( can't if they tried and failed previously ) so that's pretty much that so far as Barclays are concerned. It still exists, and they may sell it on to a debt collection company though in which case you'd likely defend based on the previous court claim effort, and the agreement they'd write off the balance once you'd paid £3k ( do you have any idea how much you've paid ?) It's come off your credit file already I presume if it defaulted years and years ago. So that really should be the end of it. Have you stopped making the payments?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It was never on my credit file as was pre period where they didn't have the rights to report to credit reference agencys in there agreements. They tried to take me to court in the wrong name, which got stopped. I have paid £3400 of it off, I don't even think they were able to locate paperwork years ago even.

They tried to sell it years back, but kept been given back only today did I cancel the standing order.

Comment

Okay, you've been paying it for rather a long time then... you happy if that's just the end of the matter now? Sounds like if they sell it on and try anything else you'd be able to bat it off quite easily and they've decided not to pursue you further - so good news
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I just wasn't sure if I was reading their wording right

Comment

I'd have double checked with them as well xxx Sounds like you have paid more than enough to this debt over the years considering.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

yeah to me the wording is like you can carry on paying us if you like, but we are not going to chase you if you dont

Comment

Get a subject access request from the bank and check all of the charges and make a complaint with the financial ombudsman service.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X