• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Case Dismissed wrong remedy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Dismissed wrong remedy

Although the Judge ruled in my favour stating that the contractor had not acted in a professional manner or with due care and attention and that I had proven my case. She dismissed the claim on the grounds that I had applied under the wrong remedy.

The claim was for money to put right a poorly installed artificial lawn. There is nowhere on the form that asks which remedy I am claiming under. I do not understand this at all.

There was a hearing to set aside a default judgment (the respondent didn't get the paperwork in on time). At that hearing the judge set aside and ordered that a jointly appointed Expert Report be obtained. That judge had the claim form and would have been aware of the remedy being sought.

On Tuesday the case was heard and I won on the facts however the remedy for money in order to get the work done is not available under the Consumer Rights act 2015 so the judge dismissed the case and I got nothing.

Notes taken during the hearing were:
    That the defendant had not provided an Invoice, Written contact or Terms and conditions.
    That she found me to be a good witness & had good recollection, standing firm and stance.
    That the defendant failed to perform with the degree of care and skill under the consumer rights act 2015 section 9 not withstanding no written contract. Therefore I am led to the conclusion of breech of implied conditions of performance with requisite care and skill.
    Ms A satisfies the court that she has proven her case.
    Section 9 (s23/s49/s20) right acts states right to repair or replace or reject or price reduction.
    Sum not yet incurred so claimed wrong remedy to be carried out. Regrettably unable to claim.
    Dismissed but valid claim.

I think
    The remedies available under that act are: the cost to put it right but the work must have already been done or a price reduction in the initial charge ie a refund (full or partial). The judge erred in law as she applied the wrong sections for the remedy - she applied the sections for Goods but should have applied those for Services, but had she got it right would the outcome would have been the same?

My questions are :-
    1. Can I change the remedy on Appeal (given she erred)
    2. Could she have used her judicial powers and simply construed that the remedy sought was a price reduction (the reduction being the amount of the claim)?
    3. Can we bring the claim again with the correct remedy ?
    4. The judge at the set aside hearing ordered an expert report, (had the work already been done there would have been no point as all the evidence would have gone ... so how would I be able to defend the case). There was a £400 cost for the parties and that judge made the order but must have known that the remedy was invalid, unless the remedy wasn't invalid.... is there any recourse here ?
    5. Could the judge have applied the Civil procedures rules and practice directions, section 1 – Case management?
    6. Could the judge have made an order to change the remedy sought, knowing it to be incorrect ? (after all it’s small claims and on their site it repeatedly says that the claimant need not be fluent in the law and are not expected to be so.
    Last edited by jaxs; 5th October 2018, 08:32:AM.
    Tags: None

des8 R0b
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello

Need to see the Claim Form and what you've written in there - can't make any comment until we have seen that.

Did the judge say what remedy you should have claimed? There would be obvious grounds for appeal if the judge dismissed the claim on the basis that "it was the wrong remedy" without actually giving any explanation.

Section 54(6) of the CRA says:

"This section and sections 55 and 56 do not prevent the consumer seeking other remedies for a breach of a term to which any of subsections (3) to (5) applies, instead of or in addition to a remedy referred to there (but not so as to recover twice for the same loss)."

S.54(7) goes on to say:

"Those other remedies include any of the following that is open to the consumer in the circumstances—

(a)claiming damages;

(b)seeking to recover money paid where the consideration for payment of the money has failed;

(c)seeking specific performance;

(d)seeking an order for specific implement;

(e)relying on the breach against a claim by the trader under the contract;

(f)exercising a right to treat the contract as at an end."

If you said you were seeking damages for breach of contract resulting from a failure to take reasonable care and skill etc. then the judge would appear to have erred. Even still, if you sought a reduction in price or repeat performance you would be entitled to that also. So on the face of it, there is a problem somewhere, whether that is based on your claim or the judge's error in interpreting the CRA.

All comes back to the Claim Form and what you had written in the Particulars of Claim so once we see that we can perhaps answer your questions.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X