• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Director of bankrupt company trying to get money privately - is that right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Director of bankrupt company trying to get money privately - is that right?

Hi,
    a builder is taking me to the small claims court. He claims I owe him money, which I don't, but it all got messy towards the end of the project. Crucially, his company has since gone bankrupt (VAT debt) and he is now persuing me as a private individual. How can that be? How can he privately take action for a company that no longer exists?
    Any legal pointers would be hugely helpful!
    Thank you!
    miss*etoile

I think you will need to post up the particulars of claim if you have received court papers and also give us more details of the background

Comment

The intial claim was very basic: the claimant had filed a money claim using no postal address and the email address of a different company (I think he might have started trading under a different name). I contested it, saying this was not proper as I had no dealings with this company.
      I have now received a Directions Questionnaire (possible Small Claims Track), which he filled in with his personal postal address.
      So, how can he as a private individual take me to court for an invoice from a company that no longer exists? The company was wound up because of more than £20k VAT debt.
      Thank you for your input!

Comment

He shouldn't.
        As you have received a Directions Questionnaire you have already filed your defence.
        Without seeing the claim, your defence and knowing the full circumstances advising you is going to be difficult

What proof do you have that your contract was with a company?
        Was that a limited company, or was it Joe Bloggs trading as "Building Company"

Comment

I found his company on the boiler manufacturer's website - it was the company listed, not the individual. And also, the invoice is by the company. Does that help?

Comment

Could you post the claim and the defence you entered pls.

The claim should be from the company, and if the company is in liquidation/bankrupt then it should be the liquidators/administrators chasing the debts, to pay the company's creditors NOT one of the directors personally.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Oh great! I don't want to post the original forms on this somewhat open forum - hope you understand. But I greatly appreciate your help with this!
              Thank you!!

Comment

Okay, can you post your defence, generally, or say exactly what it said leaving out identifying details. Really it should be an application to strike out the claim as having no prospect of success due to having been brought by the wrong party, but that's a £255 court fee - so if this is small claims ( ie under £10k ) you can leave it to go to the hearing after being allocated ( although the Judge may well give directions before that point leading to it being struck out ) - but if it is over £10k then an application is probably the better way to deal with it.

Have you received your directions questionnaire from the court and have you returned it ( and sent the claimant a copy )?

( Did they give an address for documents ? or just the address on their DQ ? )
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X