• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on how to claim costs when the case has been Struck Out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on how to claim costs when the case has been Struck Out.

Please can you tell me how I go about claiming costs when the claimant failed to pay the court fee by a certain date? The Judge ordered that the case should be Struck Out automatically without notice and ordered the Claimant to pay the defendants costs. We have contacted the court several times to find out and they have told us to complete Form N244, however , this is totally inappropriate. We are Litigants in Person. Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Hello Squeezy

Please could you upload the Order made by the Judge (personal info redacted) so that we can see exactly what was said?

The first thing to do if you haven't done so already is to set out your costs in relation to the claim. Litigants in person are afforded a rate of £19 per hour and you should ideally calculate your time spent in half hour slots to make it easier. So for example, things you could claim costs back on might include:

1. Reviewing Claim Form = 1 hour
    2. Acknowledging Claim Form = 0.5 hour
    3. Preparing and drafting the defence = 2 hours
    4. Legal research = 3 hours
    5. Preparing and drafting witness statement = 2.5 hours
    6. Inter-partes correspondence (between you and Claimant) = 1.5 hours
    7. Compiling evidence bundle = 2 hours

Obviously those times might differ between you and a Court may give a little leeway between the time spent by a litigant in person and a professional solicitor however, don't try to boost the hours for the sake of it, because if it has to go to Court, a judge will spot you in the first instance as they have no doubt done these sorts of things all of their professional time and probably know what is reasonable and what isn't.

I've attached a simple Schedule of Costs which you can fill in the blanks based on the above. You should send it to the Claimant with a covering letter enclosing the Court Order and requesting payment based on the Schedule of Costs. If the Claimant disputes the amount and you cannot agree, or the letter is ignored, then I would suggest your only option would be to make an application to the court for an assessment of costs or for an order that the costs should be paid.

Unfortunately, as a litigant in person you are afforded no special treatment when it comes to legal proceedings. Everyone has to follow the same rules and if it means making an application to the Court then you will have to do that at a cost of £255 but you should be able to claim those costs back.
    Attached Files
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am unable to open the attachment of the Schedule of Costs template.
      I am not very good at technology and therefore would not be able to send any document.
      The Order from the Judge states : 'Unless the Claimant pays by date to the court the trial fee of £115 .00 ......... then the claim will be struck out with effect from date, without further order and, unless the court orders otherwise, you will also be liable for the costs which the defendant has incurred. (We are two defendants with one claim number). There are two forms for everything and more because the claimant failed to do certain things and sent correspondence to the wrong address which caused us more hassle.
      Thanks in advance

Squeezy

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezy View Post
        Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am unable to open the attachment of the Schedule of Costs template.
        I am not very good at technology and therefore would not be able to send any document.
        The Order from the Judge states : 'Unless the Claimant pays by date to the court the trial fee of £115 .00 ......... then the claim will be struck out with effect from date, without further order and, unless the court orders otherwise, you will also be liable for the costs which the defendant has incurred. (We are two defendants with one claim number). There are two forms for everything and more because the claimant failed to do certain things and sent correspondence to the wrong address which caused us more hassle.
        Thanks in advance

Squeezy
        Do you have an order that actually says that it has been struck out?

That sounds like an order with directions for the claimant and doesn't mean as you haven't heard anything yet necessarily that they haven't paid the fee.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Hi Rob,
          We have written confirmation from the court that the case has been struck out and therefore the hearing will not take place on the date it was due.

Squeezy

Comment

great

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X