• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello - Disability Discrimination case against local service provider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - Disability Discrimination case against local service provider

We're currently in the process of taking a local service provider to court for disability discrimination. We are representing ourselves, and have our case nailed. What we are struggling with is court procedure.... what's going to happen, what we can and can't do.

Thanks
    Tags: None

On arrival at the court sign in with the court ushers.

You'll be asked to wait until called and then on being called both parties will be led into the court room with the defendant preceding you. The usher will announce the parties.

The judge will make an opening statement and then invite you to make yours, which should be a summary of your case. Once you have finished the defendant will be asked to respond and plead their case. It tends to go back and forth until a point the judge is satisfied they have heard enough and is ready to rule.

Do:

Refer to the judge as Sir, Maam or Judge.
    Stand when speaking (unless your disability does not allow you or the judge indicates you don't have to - check with the usher before going in).
    Wait for the other side or judge to finish talking before you start to talk.

Don't:

Interupt the Judge whether you agree with them or not
    Address the other side directly, all conversation is to the judge
    Get angry or shout out - maintain a calm professional approach
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you, that's very helpful. Any info on direction hearings?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetealeaf View Post
        Thank you, that's very helpful. Any info on direction hearings?
        Same deal really.

When the judge rules take notes of what they say, the order from the court clerks might take longer to come out than any deadline they set, but you'll still be expected to comply with it if you have appeared before the court.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you very much, much appreciated.

Comment

Am I ok to ask more questions here, or should I find the relevant section?

Comment

Ask away as I can tag folk in if I can't answer.
              Last edited by jaguarsuk; 21st June 2018, 16:10:PM.

Comment

Ok, here goes.

1. Can a request for further information be done at any time before the hearing?

2. When we send our supplimentary evidence (part 8 claim) do we send their witness statement with all the inconsistencies shredded? Or, do we keep that for the hearing?

3. When we send the supplimentary evidence, do they have to receive it within the 14 days, or is that a cut off for posting?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Ok, here goes.

1. Can a request for further information be done at any time before the hearing?

2. When we send our supplimentary evidence (part 8 claim) do we send their witness statement with all the inconsistencies shredded? Or, do we keep that for the hearing?

3. When we send the supplimentary evidence, do they have to receive it within the 14 days, or is that a cut off for posting?

Thanks in advance.
                  1. You could try Part 18 question to understand their defence as they have plead it, but the questions need to be quite specific and they may not answer them. Enforcing their answer with a court order could be costly while not necessarily wielding much of use to you.

2. You should file your version of events in a Witness Statement format, but do not make reference to their points raised in theirs. WS are not liek the claim form, defence or reply to defence where you are specifically referencing arguments made and countering them. WS are a chronological story of the events as you see them.

3. The court order should give directions of when deadline for disclosure is to take place, but it is usually 14 days prior to the hearing.

Comment

Thank you.

On Q2, should we be preparing a reply to defence, where we counter their version of events? And, if so, do we include it in our supplimentary evidence?

Comment

Thank you.

On Q2, should we be preparing a reply to defence, where we counter their version of events? And, if so, do we include it in our supplimentary evidence?
                      A reply to Defence should have been filed within 28 days of the Defendant filing one.

Comment

We're only 8 days after their response to contest, we're just short of a week from the deadline to submit further evidence, and we are unsure whether to file a reply to their defence. Because their defence is riddled with inacuracies and contradictions it may make them think we have a great case, or.... it may help them to form a better argument.

Comment

Yes, if their Defence has inaccuracies you file a Reply and reference the paragraphs with inaccuracies then counter them.

Eg. Paragraph 2 is denied, the Defendant did this that and the other.

Is there a reason you didn't look for a no win no fee solicitor to handle the claim?

Comment

We did, but no one seemed interested.

Can we wait until the main hearing to counter, or by not replying are we accepting their defence?

Comment

We did, but no one seemed interested.

Can we wait until the main hearing to counter, or by not replying are we accepting their defence?
                              It's not incumbent on you to file a Reply to Defence and you can contest their points in the hearing, but if there are legal points to be made or case references if can be helpful to have replied as it gives the judge forewarning to read up on them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X