• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What punishment am I facing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What punishment am I facing?

Hi. I’m a manager at a local chain restaurant. On Sunday I took £2000 from the business safe with all of the intention of replacing it the next day. However, the money fell through and by Tuesday I could not replace it.
    I called another manager in to work and explained what happened and knew the following procedures were to be suspended.
    I later called the manager apologising for my actions and told him I will get the money back as soon as possible. They have now called the police and I was wondering what type of trouble I’m facing as I have never been arrested before and don’t really know how serious this is? I’ll be very grateful for any knowledge or advice given
    Tags: None

I'd expect that they'd be looking a theft - Under the Theft Act, "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it". The argument is likely to revolve around "the intention of permanently depriving the other of it".

The sentencing guidelines for Theft are here - https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...theft-general/

Comment

My intention was never to try and deprive anyone of anything or deceive anyone.
      from the link you sent, it says it’s a possibility of serving a custodial sentence. You think that’s the case here? I wasn’t caught out I owned up to my mistake and I’ve never been arrested before. Surely being sent to jail is a bit steep.
      thank you for the time to reply also.

Comment

As you put your hands up and confessed to the breach of trust before it was discovered it could be that the police won't pursue the matter with much vigour on the basis there is little point and it may be considered not in the public interest . You are unlikely to reoffend.
        If the police do invite you to attend for an interview (unlikely to come round and put the cuffs on!) do not attend without a solicitor. If you do not have one request the duty solicitor be present (this is free). It is important; do not be lulled into a false sense of security by nice Mr Policeman telling you nothing will happen, just tell the truth. You need to be accompanied by a solicitor, it is your right.

Immediate custodial sentence unlikely, if it ever gets to court.
        Might be a suspended sentence. with possible fine and restitution order
        Due to range of sentences possible you need a solicitor to help highlight mitigating factors
        Last edited by des8; 24th May 2018, 07:55:AM. Reason: additional comment

Comment

[QUOTE=Steveeagle87;n1406035]My intention was never to try and deprive anyone of anything or deceive anyone.
          from the link you sent, it says it’s a possibility of serving a custodial sentence. You think that’s the case here? I wasn’t caught out I owned up to my mistake and I’ve never been arrested before. Surely being sent to jail is a bit steep.
          thank you for the time to reply als

intention does not over ride the act, therefore the outcome will be dealt with on that fact

Comment

That’s reassuring thank you. I’m not a criminal I’ve never done anything like this before and the management at work will give me a character reference, they didn’t even want to call the police but they had to follow protocol.
            I accepted the stupid decision I made and owned up to it, I will face the consequences but after looking through the internet and seeing starting point is custodial sentence because it’s £2000 I just began to worry.
            Thank you for your time and advice, very helpful.

Comment

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but why don't you get the £2,000 back to them ASAP?

Comment

The area manager yesterday morning told me I had 8 hours to find the money or he will call the police. I couldn’t get it. Now anyone who has that sort of money I know won’t lend it as I’m out of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveeagle87 View Post
                  That’s reassuring thank you. I’m not a criminal I’ve never done anything like this before and the management at work will give me a character reference, they didn’t even want to call the police but they had to follow protocol.
                  I accepted the stupid decision I made and owned up to it, I will face the consequences but after looking through the internet and seeing starting point is custodial sentence because it’s £2000 I just began to worry.
                  Thank you for your time and advice, very helpful.
                  I'd expect it's unlikely a custodial sentence would be given for a first offence but it is an option the magistrates have and they can, quite rightly, consider all sentencing options. You need a solicitor who is used to dealing with theft cases as they'll be able to indicate what the usual level of sentence is - even with the guidelines different courts and different benches can up with different sentences.

Comment

The area manager yesterday morning told me I had 8 hours to find the money or he will call the police. I couldn’t get it. Now anyone who has that sort of money I know won’t lend it as I’m out of a job.
                    What happened to the £2K that you took ?

Comment

I had to pay off debts as I’m crippled with debt but was so positive I was able to get the money back. When I realised I couldn’t get it I panicked and gambles the rest to try win it back, which obviously was a stupid idea I know but I was in a hole and didn’t know what to do

Comment

And yes my debts are all because of a gambling problem, which is something I’m fighting. I have enrolled in counselling that starts in 2 weeks.

Comment

Gamble on getting a lenient punishment by spending the stake money on a Solicitors advice they can speak for you and mitigate this for you.

Comment

And yes my debts are all because of a gambling problem, which is something I’m fighting. I have enrolled in counselling that starts in 2 weeks.
                            First offence and battling addiction are both mitigating circumstances your solicitor will be able to highlight if this ever reaches court.
                            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X