• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received 2 letters from Lowell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received 2 letters from Lowell

Morning,

I recently changed my address and low and behold recieved 2 letters from Lowell advising me that theyd taken on debts.

1 is for an old t-mobile account for £65 which im not too bothered about however the other letter is for a company called JD Sports saying theyd taken over 2 debts one for £256 and the other for £234.

There simply asking me to settle the balance at this stage. Ive had this before with 2 mobile contracts and theyve been discontinued thanks to R0b however the JD Sports ones im not sure how to go..

I have a pretty good credit score which ive been building up and dont want it to effect it. The accounts defaulted in 2015 by the way.

Can you give me some info on where to go from here?

Thanks

Josh
    Tags: None

Comment

The defaults are quite recent so won't fall off of your file until 2021. If you get them settled it will help your credit score a bit sooner ( they'll possibly have less impact in a year or so if marked as settled/partially settled etc ) They aren't huge debts, so if you intend fighting them through the court system ensure you have enough saved to settle within 28 days from any judgment should the worst happen - and remember there will be additional court and legal fees added ( probably around £100 for each if they don't combine them). You don't want a CCJ (or two) on your file for a further 6 years ( could be 2024/2025 ).

So that's worse case scenario ... for now, if you don't want to negotiate a full and final settlement on them ( or actually even if you do ) I would get a CCA request sent off for both. Presumably each is a different catalogue under the JD Williams brand ( there 20 or so sub brands I think ) so treat them separately for now and send two CCA letters to Lowell. Do you know how long ago you opened the accounts ? or even which catalogues they were for ? If they were opened relatively recently, after 2007, then it is going to be likely the agreements are in existence asnd likely compliant, and it's just whether they can be provided by the original creditor to Lowell or not.

It might also be worth sending a Subject Access Request off to JD Williams to get any agreements, transaction lists ( see if there are unfair charges, PPI type things you can defend/claim on to reduce the balance/use to negotiate ).

T-Mobile account you can probably sort with a couple letters requesting evidence of the contract and debt.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thankyou for the reply

So the first was opened in October 2014 and missed payment in March 2015 and the second was October 2014 and missed payment in April 2015.

Strangly enough i honestly cant remember opening 2...only the one and think i stopped the payments long before that! Ive found this information on my credit report.

In the mean time i will get 2 CCA requests sent out and see what i get back!

The t-mobile i can deal with easily.

Josh

Comment

So little update, ive still not received anything back from them and noticed today that they've got my name wrong on the account and the letter they sent out, can this work in my favour?

Amethyst

Comment

How wrong ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Only one letter but it changes the whole last name in doing so

Comment

Probably not any effect then, unless there is actually a dispute as to whether this was originally your debt ( ie account was opened by ID fraud or somesuch ) Also could include the incorrect spelling of your name in your witness statement to draw doubt into the accurancy of the rest of the details, particularly considering
                Strangly enough i honestly cant remember opening 2...only the one and think i stopped the payments long before that! Ive found this information on my credit report.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X