• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Won the court case with automatic judgement. What do I do now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won the court case with automatic judgement. What do I do now?

I made a claim against an individual and his small business (not ltd) who took money from me but failed to deliver what I paid for. I filed a claim, he did not respond at all (what if he just moved?) and I applied for automatic judgement and got it. What do I do next? Ideally in a cost-effective way.
    Tags: None

If they don't cough up voluntarily then you need to start enforcement against them - but that costs, you have to pay first and the sum gets added to the debt owed. You do need to be aware though that just because you have obtained Judgment does not guarantee you will get paid. Have a read of https://www.smallclaimscourtgenie.co...-won-now-what/

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
      If they don't cough up voluntarily then you need to start enforcement against them - but that costs, you have to pay first and the sum gets added to the debt owed. You do need to be aware though that just because you have obtained Judgment does not guarantee you will get paid. Have a read of https://www.smallclaimscourtgenie.co...-won-now-what/
      Thank you. Do I need to know to find our whether the debtor is still in the country and if so what is his current address? Or will court bailiffs do it themselves?

Comment

It is in your own interest to do a little background checking rather than having just to fork out to employ a Bailiff. It could be they are not trading or if they are then give that information to the Bailiff. As said earlier just because you have Judgment is no guarantee you will get paid.

Comment

It is in your own interest to do a little background checking rather than having just to fork out to employ a Bailiff.
          What background checking can I do on my own and how?
          The defendant is individual or sole trader if it changes anything.

Comment

Does he trade from Business premises?
            Does he advertise?
            Get someone to contact him on a known phone number and ask if he can quote for some work?
            Does he have any visible assets - van or machinery?

The more info you can provide then the better chance you have of getting a result. How long ago was Judgment awarded & roughly how much for?

Comment

Does he trade from Business premises?
              I don't think so.

Does he advertise?
              I don't see any adverts

Get someone to contact him on a known phone number and ask if he can quote for some work?
              That may be an idea but he may have moved to different area.

Does he have any visible assets - van or machinery?
              I don't think so.

How long ago was Judgment awarded?
              Few months ago

Roughly how much for?
              Around £1.5k

Comment

Doesn't sound hugely positive. Is his telephone contact still operational ?

Where did you have the claim issued to ? his home address ? Is he still there ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Is his telephone contact still operational ?
                  Yes.

Where did you have the claim issued to ? his home address ?
                  Yes.

Is he still there ?
                  Apparently no, the claim letter has been sent back.

Comment

Originally posted by zetetic View Post

Apparently no, the claim letter has been sent back.

Was it returned as Not at this Address/Return to Sender or as Non Deliverable?

Â*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X