• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** SORTED ** Flight Compensation - EU261 - Cancelled / Delayed Flights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** SORTED ** Flight Compensation - EU261 - Cancelled / Delayed Flights

So thought I'd do a diary of a basic EU261 for a cancelled / delayed flight under EU261 ( who knows how long it will be valid for re Brexit )but as Daughter had a flight cancelled this week and arrived back in the UK around 15 hours later than scheduled I thought diarising the process might help someone.

First thing to note is if you post on social media about a flight delay you get completely swarmed by claims management companies who generally charge 25-40% of any compensation. So don't bother lol.

So the case...

Airline: Easyjet

Flight scheduled for 11pm - just under 1500km - EU country to UK.

Flight cancelled two hours before scheduled departure time.

Flight rescheduled for 3pm the following day.

Passengers all allocated hotel accommodation for the night within 2 hours of cancellation.

Passengers all provided with vouchers for food ( for night and for the next day morning and lunchtime )

Passengers all provided with transport to accommodation, and back from accommodation to airport the next day.

( Pretty damn good service I have to say - not like the old days of sleeping on the airport floor lol )

If I wasn't trying out the standard EU delayed flight compensation scheme I'd probably let it go because, basically, Daughter loved the hotel they were put up in, it was a higher standard than the 18-30 club med type hole they'd spent the week in , and basically had an extra days holiday out of it... no work to rush back for, and easyjet sorted everything quickly, everyone was kept informed and other than being a little annoyed at the hanging about to start with after arrival at the airport, there wasn't an issue.

But anyway, under the EU rules compensation entitlement to a flight delayed over 3 hours, within the EU, under 1500km, is around £230 ( depends on euro / pound exchange rate and I don't have a euro symbol on my keyboard ) Only part I'm not certain of is whether it's a cancellation or a delay claim.
    Originally posted by Cancellation
    if your new flight arrives more than two hours after the scheduled time of your original flight, you can claim €250 – no matter what time it departs
    Originally posted by Delay
    For delays of more than three hours, you can claim €250
    Lots of help here: https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...-compensation/

The delay is this instance is well documented as a staffing issue. Something about a crewmember was off sick so they had to go and pick another one up from Milan, then the crew were out of their hours, ... but don't think you can class that as an act of God etc, so think it should all be pretty straightforward. There's no 'out of pocket' expenses to worry about or anything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-10-03 10_32_02-Action Centre.png Views:	2 Size:	210.2 KB ID:	1427102

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-10-03 09_52_35-Jump List for Calculator.png Views:	2 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	1427103

Anyway...

Easyjet have a compensation EU261 claim form https://www.easyjet.com/en/claim/eu261 - which we've completed and received email confirmation of receipt. It now takes up to 45 days.... so we wait and see for now

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-10-04 11_25_27-Start.png Views:	1 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	1427104
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Sorted - compensation of £349 each ( there were 6 of them ) Over 1500km ( I was looking at miles doh!) -[
    Flight distance: 1,414 miles or 2276 km
    Originally posted by easyjet
    We’ve reviewed your claim and are pleased to say that you are eligible for EU261 Compensation.

Your flight 1978 was delayed by 15:08:00 was due to N-E - Crew issues. This delay was within our control and is considered a non-extraordinary circumstance under EU law.

We’ll transfer GBP 2094.65 to the bank account details you gave us. Please allow at least 7-14 days for this to arrive in your account.

Once again we’re sorry for the disruption to your flight and look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Kind regards,
    Not bad timescale, and it would have been quicker, around 20th Oct had Daughter checked her emails as we just had to send authorisation to pay to a different bank account.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

For some reason, we call them Sleazijet in our family, probably because of some past misdemeanour. However, I have found them pretty decent. Certainly, easier to deal with than Ryanair.

Comment

I was very impressed with how they handled the delay/cancellation. Every passenger was allocated a hotel, transported to and from the hotel and fed. No complaints at all. And then they've sorted out the relevant compensation without any hassle.

Of course it helps that that it was simply a staffing issue and not engines/weather etc so there was no argument that it was their responsibility.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X