• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

being made a carer and working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being made a carer and working

I know.. I know you wait months for a Puff thread and 2 come along at once!!!

My query is simple.. its about Mum.

I adore my mum, she can be described in 5 letters A-N-G-E-L.

Recently, and I am talking 2-3 weeks, she has been diagnosed with severe athritis in her hip (I told her not to ride that chuffing skateboard.. would she listen????:heh because of this I have to do certain jobs she cant do, like cut her toenails and help her put her stockings on, and she is prone to falls at the moment as the hip is very weak.

Mum applied for blue badges, as she simply cannot walk the length of the carpark in a supermarket without severe pain, she was asked who her carer is.
    Mum, being mum and half Irish.. and being my mum (which in itself is a codeword of independence) stuck out her chin and said "Me."
    She was then told that as she cannot put her own shoes and socks on, cut her nails or get out the bath unaided (I normally get a call after the stubborn bugger has got in saying "Love.. I've done it again... come and gimme a tug!") and as Hubby cannot be expected to pull a grown woman out of a bathtub (not that Hubby would bat an eyelid if he was needed.. he would be right there laughing.. I mean HELPING! I meant helping... honest msl I have been added as Mum's carer.

My question is: I work 37.5 hours per week, and I work in a unit where I cannot have my phone switched on due to data sensitive information. Can being my mums carer be held against me at work?
    I do not want a penny off my mum, or the Government for looking after Mum, shes's my mum and it's payback time, but I don want the security of knowing that if need me I can be contacted and hit the floor running without having to worry about my job, disiplinaries etc..

any ideas?

mum is 74 if that makes any difference (although we won't tell the old chook I told you that!!)
    Tags: None

Re: being made a carer and working

I don't think you've got anything to worry about on that front, Puff. If you were to be claiming benefits, that would be a problem, but you're not.

Others may know more...

So sorry you're getting it from all sides, in spades, at the moment xx

Comment

thanks miss FM!!

Comment

The answer to that is no, the workplace cannot discriminate because you are a carer.
        However they may consider your role may interfere with your duties if you need to have your phone on.
        You do have the right to ask for flexible working hours to assist you in your role as carer.
        The company do not have to grant that request.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

Hiya Puff,

Do you know if your mum would qualify for podiatry treatment on the NHS? Check with her GP and see if she is eligible. See, also, if the GP can do a referral to the Community Occupational Therapist to visit your mum and see if they can arrange for any aids to be loaned to your mum to help her, especially where getting in and out of the bath is concerned and getting her shoes on and off.

You might like to consider getting in touch with the Community Transport Association (CTA) http://www.ctauk.org/ to see if a scheme operates in her area. They would pick her up from her home, take her to where she needs to go and then bring her home again afterwards. I worked in Community Transport for 8.5 years before the FMS came along and I can tell you that it can change people's lives for the better.

Do you know if your mum is in receipt of Attendance Allowance? If she isn't contact the DWP's Disability and Carer's Service and ask for a claim pack. If she qualifies, this would provide her with extra money to pay for home helps if they are needed.

If you are your mum's registered carer, in my view, it would be wrong for your employer to discriminate against you.

Hope this helps.

Bluebottle
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If you are working and are a carer you can ask for flexible working. Weirdly I was reading some bits earlier on applying - you might not want to just yet - and I would follow some of Mike's advice to get other help for your mum as well as you - particularly while you sort out other things at work (might look a bit funny if you say you want a transfer are unhappy, they refuse then you apply for flexitime) - but here -> http://legalbeagles.info/how-to-appl...your-employer/ - it's info from the GOV.UK site. They get three months to reply and sort it out.

You've been there more than 26 weeks now haven't you?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Mum has asked for the thingame to get her shoes on and off, and is seeing about the chiropody or however its spelt. She has an appointment with the Orthopedic Consultant soon.

She may need an op on her hip (bionic woman here we come) so she can live with us for a bit, she's short she will fit on the sofa (IM KIDDING!!!)

Dad worked in the press all his life and Mum has been told that his pension is too big for her to be considered for any benefits
                still shes got me.. what better benefit is there (again im JOKING!!)

I have an emergency number I can give my mum if she decides to do her wonderwoman impressions again, I keep telling her she's to stop chasing Tom Jones and lay off the sherry but she doesn't listen, but its being able to say, ok im registered as her carer, she needs me, i have to go thats worrying me

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

You've been there more than 26 weeks now haven't you?
                  yeh over a year now:tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Also there's an old thread here -> http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...450#post267450

I'm sure Nelly will put her twopenneth in in the morning too xxx
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
                      yeh over a year now:tinysmile_aha_t:
                      Goodness time flies !
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Contact Social Services, they will arrange an assessment for your mum, and will then arrange for any aids that will assist her in her day to day life.
                        That is one of the things that Social Services are there for.
                        Walking sticks, zimmers, commodes grabbers, etc
                        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Attendance Allowance is NOT means tested

You can claim attendance allowance if you are disabled, are aged over 65 and need help to look after yourself. There are two rates of payment, a lower rate and a higher rate. Attendance allowance is tax free and not means tested.
                          You can still get attendance allowance if you are not actually receiving any help to look after yourself. The amount of savings you have does not affect your attendance allowance

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/overview

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X