• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking Halifax PPI claim to ombudsman - general question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Halifax PPI claim to ombudsman - general question

I was without doubt mis-sold PPI on a 10 year secured loan, in 2006, 9 years ago.

My reasons are two-fold.

1) Firstly when I resisted any PPI elements, I was told that
    'the bank would only consider the application if PPI is taken out, due to the size of the loan (£40,000)'
    This was followed by " for example, what if you were to lose your job in the next 10 years? "

2) I relunctantly agreed and I remember being asked if there was any reason/issue that I knew about, that may lead to my employment ending. I replied and signed 'No'.

Earlier this year I was made redundant, and contacted the claims department who told me that I hadn't taken out unemployment insurance, just illness !! Bear in mind the PPI element added £38 per month onto a £398 montly repayment.

So, my claim rests on a verbal untruth about needing to pay PPI to get my loan accepted, and being led to believe that at least I had the peace of mind about unemployment.

Halifax won;t budge on the issue because it can find 'no evidence' of the fact that I was told it was necessary to take out PPI ( that's no surprise because the salesman isn't going to record that information, is he?)

Also, in the final document I received, the unemployment aspect is missing from the pack, and I didnt realise at the time, although there are many references to the "do you know any reason why the job will end" etc.

So, my question is, is it worth me going to the ombudsman with my case? Would they need to see evidence that I was told that PPI was not optional?

Thanks

Les

Tags: None

Re: Taking Halifax PPI claim to ombudsman - general question

Yes it definitely worth taking it to the ombudsman. Appeals to the ombudsman get upheld more often than not ( think it was something like 86% )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Taking Halifax PPI claim to ombudsman - general question

Funnily enough, they did the same thing with myself and the OH back around then. Took out a loan (tied to the property) of circa £12K to get rid of some debts and there was a proviso of agreeing to PPI for the loan to go through. My PPI was added into the loan.

A few years later, when I became self employed, I questioned this as it was clear the PPI had been forced on me but a DSAR did not show any documents pertaining to such conditions; it was all done verbally. They denied it right up to me contacting the FO, who subsequently found in their favour. I then kept on paying a loan even though I would not benefit from the PPI had I fallen on hard times. I got Halifax sorted out on a few other issues so the PPI on that loan doesn't bother me any longer. We paid it off early, which they were not happy about!

Go after them, Jdlover. IMO, that crowd have never had the coal-raking they truly deserve!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X