• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dial4aLoan/Welcome - WON !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial4aLoan/Welcome - WON !!!

Hi all - new to forum so please be gentle! Looking for some sound advice about a ppi claim I am pursuing, not having much joy yet though! Be as brief as possible, any feedback gratefully received.

Around xmas a friend of mine, a lifelong teacher received a ppi refund from a student loan in 1993 and urged me to look back at my finances. I did. I had a secured loan of £15000 taken out in Sept 2004 with London Personal Loans. After much digging, I got a copy of the original Agreement through the current owners, Ascendon in Feb this year. On the Agreement was ppi, paid in full up front of £1920. I now know that as I was self-employed they would never have paid out on the ppi, as such it was mis-sold, additionally I never had a copy of the terms etc, the loan Agreement is only signed by me and I am pretty sure I had to have it to qualify for the loan.

The loan was paid off in full less than two years later, in June 2006.

Ascendon subsequently advised the broker was Dial4aLoan Ltd. I wrote to them and they replied with a thick questionnaire to fill and return. I did. They then replied saying they were not regulated at that time and I should go back to loan company or chase the insurer.

I threatened legal action, and got a solicitors letter through their parent co Welcome advising they would defend any claim based on the Limitations Act. I looked into the Limitations Act, and my understanding of it is;

a) you have three years from the time you became aware of an issue to pursue it and
    b) the Act doesn't exist, in any time frame, to protect companies who wilfully mis-sell products to consumers knowing very well they will never pay out on them. Fraud?

At worst, I feel I am entitled to a refund of a big chunk of the ppi given the loan was for 10 years and was fully satisfied in less than two. I have the Agreement small print, nowhere on it does it even mention ppi.

Any advice on how to proceed? As I am pre 2005 no authority is interested. Ombudsman told me D4al were probably a one man band - in fact they are owned by Welcome with a share capital of £110 million!

Any thoughts/advice?
    Tags: None

Re: Dial4aLoan/Welcome

Hi and welcome.

I have never gone the solicitor avenue so not able to advise on that one, but it maybe the case that you can pursue the underwriter who was possibly regulated for having dealings with insurance matters. So if a reclaim failed with the underwriter you can then at least complain to the FOS.

You can of course try yourself first with the underwriter or ask the FOS to help on your behalf.

If you wish to view my letter I done for my underwriter please let me know, and I shall be back sometime later on, I can then pm you with it, as the wording to the underwriter needs to be carefully worded.

You can wait for other opinions on this if you wish....

Some of mine was from the mid 90's and do not worry about the time limit issues.

Comment

Hi Di

Thanks very much, that would be great. Who do you ask to find out who the underwriter was? Only advice I have seen apart from your thread is that it is always the broker because they mis-sold the policy. Confusing business!

Comment

Originally posted by bassett View Post
        Hi Di

Thanks very much, that would be great. Who do you ask to find out who the underwriter was? Only advice I have seen apart from your thread is that it is always the broker because they mis-sold the policy. Confusing business!
        Not a problem

Yes the broker is usually the one you pursue, as they set up the full finance, then then pass the application on to the lender (who takes the direct debit)monthly repayments), but usually before the application goes ahead the lender passes the application on to the Underwriter, these are the ones to check if the policy is suitable for you and to approve the application.

If your not able to go to the Broker for example, if you taken out the policy before Jan 2005, they may not have been FSA regulated, so in this case they tend to reject complaints, but then your not able to complain to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) either if they were not FSA regulated, they can only take on and adjudicate complaints if the policy was regulated by the FSA at the time you purchased the policy.

So in these cases, the FOS however, can advise you to go the Underwriter avenue, as underwriters they deal with insurances so as for dealing with insurances, its highly likely they were FSA regulated.
        Yes confusing indeed, but you will get the hang of it lol....

Comment

Hey Di

Thank you ever so much for this, I really appreciate it. I phoned Acendon this morning and the broker was Sterling Ins Group, located them on web and letter going off today as per you forwarded. Thank you.

Comment

Hey Di

Thank you ever so much for this, I really appreciate it. I phoned Acendon this morning and the broker was Sterling Ins Group, located them on web and letter going off today as per you forwarded. Thank you.

Hi
            that is fantastic, good one and good luck, any probs let us know, and fingers crossed x

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
              Hi
              that is fantastic, good one and good luck, any probs let us know, and fingers crossed x

Di

I wrote as per your letter you sent me, edited for my case and received a cheque this morning for nearly £4k from them.

I can't even begin to thank you enough. We have a sick child who has been through a couple of massive operations recently and are now in a position to take her away for a break which she truly deserves.

All down to you, I would never have thought of pursuing underwrites but for your thread.

Owe you so much! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Comment

Di

I wrote as per your letter you sent me, edited for my case and received a cheque this morning for nearly £4k from them.

I can't even begin to thank you enough. We have a sick child who has been through a couple of massive operations recently and are now in a position to take her away for a break which she truly deserves.

All down to you, I would never have thought of pursuing underwrites but for your thread.

Owe you so much! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
                Hiya

Aww that is absolutely fantastic news and you deserve this wonderful news!!!

Well done and Congratulations!! I am so happy for you and your family xxx

So sorry to hear about your child, what a worry for you all and I am wishing her the very best and a speedy recovery from all this, love and hugs and your most welcome indeed XxXx

Comment

Re: Dial4aLoan/Welcome - WON !!!

Hi Bassett,

well done. Enjoy your holiday with your baby!!!!!!

Isn't Di just the business? Brilliant!!!!!!!

:beagle:

Comment

Hi all - new to forum so please be gentle! Looking for some sound advice about a ppi claim I am pursuing, not having much joy yet though! Be as brief as possible, any feedback gratefully received.

Around xmas a friend of mine, a lifelong teacher received a ppi refund from a student loan in 1993 and urged me to look back at my finances. I did. I had a secured loan of £15000 taken out in Sept 2004 with London Personal Loans. After much digging, I got a copy of the original Agreement through the current owners, Ascendon in Feb this year. On the Agreement was ppi, paid in full up front of £1920. I now know that as I was self-employed they would never have paid out on the ppi, as such it was mis-sold, additionally I never had a copy of the terms etc, the loan Agreement is only signed by me and I am pretty sure I had to have it to qualify for the loan.

The loan was paid off in full less than two years later, in June 2006.

Ascendon subsequently advised the broker was Dial4aLoan Ltd. I wrote to them and they replied with a thick questionnaire to fill and return. I did. They then replied saying they were not regulated at that time and I should go back to loan company or chase the insurer.

I threatened legal action, and got a solicitors letter through their parent co Welcome advising they would defend any claim based on the Limitations Act. I looked into the Limitations Act, and my understanding of it is;

a) you have three years from the time you became aware of an issue to pursue it and
                    b) the Act doesn't exist, in any time frame, to protect companies who wilfully mis-sell products to consumers knowing very well they will never pay out on them. Fraud?

At worst, I feel I am entitled to a refund of a big chunk of the ppi given the loan was for 10 years and was fully satisfied in less than two. I have the Agreement small print, nowhere on it does it even mention ppi.

Any advice on how to proceed? As I am pre 2005 no authority is interested. Ombudsman told me D4al were probably a one man band - in fact they are owned by Welcome with a share capital of £110 million!

Any thoughts/advice?
                    Hi, I was wondering as I am in same situation with dial4aloan telling me the same thing, as was 2004 they wont budge and FOS refused claim too. What was the underwriter letter? I was told Aviva supplied the actual PPI for dial4aloan, is that the underwriter? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post

Hi and welcome.

I have never gone the solicitor avenue so not able to advise on that one, but it maybe the case that you can pursue the underwriter who was possibly regulated for having dealings with insurance matters. So if a reclaim failed with the underwriter you can then at least complain to the FOS.

You can of course try yourself first with the underwriter or ask the FOS to help on your behalf.

If you wish to view my letter I done for my underwriter please let me know, and I shall be back sometime later on, I can then pm you with it, as the wording to the underwriter needs to be carefully worded.

You can wait for other opinions on this if you wish....

Some of mine was from the mid 90's and do not worry about the time limit issues.
                      Hi, I was wondering as I am in same situation with dial4aloan telling me the same thing, as was 2004 they wont budge and FOS refused claim too. What was the underwriter letter? I was told Aviva supplied the actual PPI for dial4aloan, is that the underwriter? Thanks!

Comment

Hi am in same position, had a Fistplus loan arranged through Dial4aloan,fully paid off in 2003, Firstplus are not helpful and Dial4 loan have advised me to write to the underwriter for ppi that was arranged by Firstplus. Firstplus are saying they dont know the underwriter. HELPPPPP. I have been in touch with FOS and they have advised to write to FirstPlus to get underwriter details. Can Someone help with the letter please

Comment

Hi Steven/Geraldine
                          Do not give up! Dial4 were an absolute brick wall. I can't remember how I got hold of the underwriter but I got a cheque very fast when I did. There is no limitations its a fob off if I recall. Fingers crossed Di is still on the forum and she can help you. DO NOT GIVE UP!

Comment

Hi Bassett
                            thank you for reply. My problem is rhat firstplus will not comfirm underwriter. They said they dont know. I have to write a complaint to them before Fos can advise further. Have you got Di's email? Need help with the letter xx

Comment

Hi Geraldine sorry I only communicated with Di as above. I am no expert with these things but it is stretching it to say your loan provider doesn't know who there underwriter was! Ask them in writing would be first route. They sound like Dial4 who made everything as difficult as possible. Persevere. Its worth it and it is your money.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X