• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Welcome Finance PPI claim rejected by FSCS as work for insurance company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Finance PPI claim rejected by FSCS as work for insurance company

Hello!

I stupidly took out a car loan with Welcome Finance years ago and at the time, I worked for an insurance company. When I took out the loan, the price quoted was £252 a month. The person selling me the car didn't mention that this included PPI and a few other 'optional insurances', which obviously weren't optional as I wasn't given the option of having or not having them! I stupidly signed on the dotted line and happily drove away in my new car.

However, a few weeks later I was reading through all of the paperwork and it was only then that I realised that they had added these 'optional insurances' without asking me if I wanted them. I immediately rang them because I knew I didn't need them. I had a secure job and if I had been off work due to an accident or sickness, I would have received 6 months full sick pay from my employer. In addition to that, my employer would have paid my next of kin 3 times my annual salary if I had died while employed with them.

So I rang Welcome straight away and asked them to remove these insurances however I was told that they could not be removed as I had missed the 30 (I think) day limit/cancellation period. I had several upsetting conversations with them as I was so angry that they had added these without asking me but I got nowhere.

This happened years ago and I was over the moon when I received a form from the FSCS saying that I could have been mis-sold PPI. I thought, finally, I am going to get my money back. So I filled in the form and sent it back to them. They wrote back to me saying that because I worked for an insurance company, I should have been able to make an informed decision, and they rejected my claim. I agree that, had I been OFFERED the insurance, I would have made an informed decision and I would NOT have taken out the insurance. However, the insurance was NOT offered to me, and merely included in the price/agreement.

I have just emailed Welcome to ask if they keep telephone recordings, or records of what was said in telephone calls. If they do, then this will prove that right from the start, many years ago, I did not want the insurance and asked them to remove it. But I doubt very much that they will have any record of anything and it is my word against theirs.

This has upset me for years now. Does anyone have any advice they can give me?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Welcome Finance PPI claim rejected by FSCS as work for insurance company

Hi there

Do not leave it there!

I have known this to happen to others that have wrote back and asked them to review then succeeded!

The point here is as well, you need to mention to the FSCS that you have learned that its frowned upon being sold these all in one ppi policies, where you still have to pay for the ppi within the loan even when the ppi expires after 5 yrs.

For that reason i am aware they have paid out.
    Do contact them in writing/email, tell them you are very disappointed to have been let down when you sent in details on request because you were mis sold PPI and you believe you do have a genuine complaint and reason to make a reclaim.

Despite the fact that you worked for an insurance company at the time, they should not really hold that against you, at the end of the day it was Welcome that mis sold you not the business you worked for.

Have you tried by requesting for your data by Subject Access Request (SAR) letter where the business (Welcome) must comply by law.
    If not and you wish to do this, you send in one payment of £10 cheque or postal order and they have up to 40 calendar days to comply.
    We can post up a SAR template letter if you wish to do this.

Comment

Thanks Dizzy Di so much for your advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply )))

Shall my next move be writing to Welcome requesting my data by SAR letter then? I doubt that they will have kept records of phone calls but its worth a try I suppose...

xx

Comment

Originally posted by bells View Post
        Thanks Dizzy Di so much for your advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply )))

Shall my next move be writing to Welcome requesting my data by SAR letter then? I doubt that they will have kept records of phone calls but its worth a try I suppose...

xx
        It's my pleasure :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Personally I would send a SAR, if they not able to comply then they must return your payment with a letter to explain.
        At the same time do ask the FSCS to take another look into this matter as said in above post.

Let me know if you not found the SAR letter on the site yet cheers xx

Comment

Thanks again for your advice Dizzy Di! I keep trying to thank you but end up thanking myself for the original post :/

I have found a SAR letter so I will get one sent off on Monday.

I am up for writing to the FSCS again.. What shall I say to them? I will ask them to look into it again for me.. Shall I say that I have requested my info from Welcome but in the meantime, I would like them to reconsider. Shall say that I feel it is unfair to say I should have been able to make an informed decision when I was not told the insurance was going to be on there in the first place? How could I have made any kind of decision about PPI if I wasn't told about it? Shall I mention again that I would have had 6 months sick pay plus a payout if I had died while being employed by my employers, so I didn't need it? Surely, this helps to prove that the insurance was mis-sold because I would have received sick pay/death benefit and been able to continue paying for the loan...

And I will defo mention the all in one policies being frowned upon.. Do you know of any examples of where claims have been paid out because of the all in one policy thing?

Anything else you think I should stick in there?

Thank u xx

Comment

Hiya
            Yes I would raise all the above and state the fact of being sold a policy that only covered you for so many years of the loan.
            Do you know if the PPI only covered you for the first 5 years only? And the loan is over a longer term?

This below is from a site caled Thisismoney
            If you bought PPI to cover a long term loan there is a chance that the insurance will run out before the loan is repaid. Most PPI policies will only run for five years, so if your loan term is longer than this the seller should have explained this limitation. If they didn't, you can claim.

Comment

That's great - will check the paperwork

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X