• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
    Mr. Hester said:
    "...the appeal was not about whether customers should be compensated because 'we think that should happen' but about setting a legal precedent about the retrospective nature of compensation payments.[End Quote]
    AC, was the quote yesterday?
    To be honest, the quote seems to indicate that they will appeal. (I know some people might not read the last post on a page but it is quite an interesting quote).
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Well which ever way you look at it the cards are heavily stacked against a successful appeal and on that basis alone I'm still of the belief any appeal will fail.

Lloyds pulling out really has put a great big spanner in the works.

Rock on tommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post

Yes I think the Judges are going to want to know why they the biggest seller pulled out and if they do appeal the others will have to answer that in the appeal papers.
        [/color][/left]
        I can't see that the withdrawal of Lloyds support will have any influence on the court. Lloyds are not a party to the case and even if they were any appeal will be judged on it's legal merits alone.

Comment

Exc,

Yes I can see your valid point, but we all know that not everything is squeaky clean in the corridors of court and the BBA is only acting for the financial industry.

The Judges are well aware that any outcome good or bad will have a dramatic affect on the consumers so yes I still believe that this will not go unnoticed in the court room if it gets that far of course.

sigpic

Comment

http://www.insuranceage.co.uk/insura...urt-ppi-ruling

FSCS pledges to target insurers in 
the wake of High Court PPI ruling

More to follow on link above.....

Comment

Yes thats the jist of it, nail squarely on the head.

sigpic

Comment

I still believe that this will not go unnoticed in the court room if it gets that far of course.
                I know what you're saying.

In fact the judgment proved that the courts know a climb down when they see one:

''After the commencement of these proceedings, the FSA made a statement saying that it feared that the Open Letter was being misinterpreted. This was seen as something of a climb down by the BBA.''

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                  AC, was the quote yesterday?
                  To be honest, the quote seems to indicate that they will appeal. (I know some people might not read the last post on a page but it is quite an interesting quote).
                  Yes leclerc, 6th May 2011.

I would say that Mr. Hester is somewhat undecided, same applies to Barclays.

One would imagine that the task of Marcus Agius may prove to be somewhat arduous:
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ing-commission
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...cutive-bonuses
                  Last edited by Angry Cat; 7th May 2011, 13:56:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

RBS is facing £1bn insurance payout

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...e-scandal.html

CUSTOMERS ripped off by shame-faced ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND in the payment protection insurance scandal could get £1BILLION back from the bailed-out institution.

The bank's chief executive Stephen Hester yesterday admitted RBS faced a whopping bill over the missold policies.
                    But he refused to join fellow culprits LLOYDS in setting aside an exact amount of cash - ahead of an industry-wide admission of guilt that could come on Monday.

The floodgates will open if the British Bankers Association throws in the towel by deciding not to appeal against a High Court ruling in favour of customers banks preyed on.
                    PPI was meant to protect people who fell ill or lost their jobs, leaving them unable to pay their bills, but became a money-making machine for the banks and credit card companies who often bulldozed borrowers into buying policies that rarely paid out.
                    Conned customers were led to believe they would not get the loan unless they bought the cover.

Mr Hester yesterday would only say RBS expected its compensation bill to be around "a third" of the £3.2billion announced by fellow taxpayer-rescued bank LLOYDS on Thursday after it decided not to appeal against the High Court judgment.

Mr Hester - who said the rival bank's decision "came as a surprise" - added in the understatement of the year: "I do think PPI was not the industry's finest hour.
                    "There are PPI policies that were sold incorrectly and consumers need to be refunded.
                    "But we are not going to talk about what the BBA may or may not decide during a results call."
                    Insiders claim the banks all agree they have to pay out. But chiefs are said to be furious at regulators demanding they retrospectively assess all cases - claiming that this could set a precedent.

RBS remained rooted in the red yesterday with first quarter losses of £528million - almost DOUBLE the £248million loss this time a year ago.
                    Mr Hester put this down to a wave of accounting charges - plus write-offs in Ireland.
                    He insisted that the "core" RBS business was "progressing along the recovery path".
                    Profits in RBS's high street arm - which includes NATWEST - were almost four times higher at £508million.
                    The insurance business - home to CHURCHILL and DIRECT LINE - moved back into the black for the first time in over a year.
                    But much-needed lending to small firms fell 7 per cent in the last quarter.

Comment

...But chiefs are said to be furious at regulators demanding they retrospectively assess all cases
                      Re: Mr. Hester, his appointment came after the catastrophic failure of the Royal Bank in 2008;
                      a failure that almost brought this country to its knees.

Feeling sure that Mr. Hester may agree that, prior to 2008 and when Fred Goodwin presided over RBS; 2000-2008. RBS agreed to comply with the ABI and GISC codes of practice re: the selling of payment protection insurance.

The Royal Bank was dubbed as the: Reckless and Irresponible Lending Bank...
                      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...28billion.html

Reckless, irresponsible and negligent with their selling of general Insurance, (PPI) also.

RBS, took the money in the form of useless PPI premiums plus interest and; they should pay the money back.

There is no wiggle room for RBS!
                      Last edited by Angry Cat; 7th May 2011, 17:50:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Re: Mr. Hester, his appointment came after the catastrophic failure of the Royal Bank in 2008;
                        a failure that almost brought this country to its knees.

Feeling sure that Mr. Hester may agree that, prior to 2008 and when Fred Goodwin presided over RBS; 2000-2008. RBS agreed to comply with the ABI and GISC codes of practice re: the selling of payment protection insurance.

The Royal Bank was dubbed as the: Reckless and Irresponible Lending Bank...
                        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...28billion.html

Reckless, irresponsible and negligent with their selling of general Insurance, (PPI) also.

RBS, took the money in the form of useless PPI premiums plus interest and; they should pay the money back.

The is no wiggle room for RBS!

Indeed and I am expecting the anouncement on monday that they too are pulling out and once that happens the rest will fall like a pack of cards.

Tuesday we will get the anouncement from the BBA that they will not be appealling the Judgment.

Keep the faith everyone as it is all going in our direction

sigpic

Comment

Indeed and I am expecting the anouncement on monday that they too are pulling out and once that happens the rest will fall like a pack of cards.

Tuesday we will get the anouncement from the BBA that they will not be appealling the Judgment.

we,ll hold you to that one p.f lol

Comment

Fingers crossed folks, my hunch is that since lloyds, the other banks will do the same, I just hope my hunches are right, they better be lol.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              Fingers crossed folks, my hunch is that since lloyds, the other banks will do the same, I just hope my hunches are right, they better be lol.

and we,ll hold you to that one di ha ha

Comment

Not forgetting that, I promised to eat my hat (with ketchup and brown sauce) if they do not appeal.

However,
                                :
                                "It is shameful that some in the banking industry are still refusing to admit to the scale of PPI misselling and compensate consumers,” Adam Phillips, the chairman of the consumer panel, said in a statement. “It is time for the banks to stop hiding behind expensive lawyers.”
                                So, what will the decision be;
                                Profits or, respect for the Regulator?

No doubt, the press will be snapping at the heels of the Banks, whatever the outcome.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X