• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
    How about the electoral roll it cannot be that hard in this super technological world to find some of them admittedly some will escape the net but by trying a bit harder quite a few will be traced.
    [/color][/left]
    In England and Wales the electoral roll is held at the elector's local council office. So not much good unless you only moved locally.

Comment

They seem to use the CRA's to great effect normally in tracing or checking on people, why not use them ? One quick search will show if an address is still live. Not that anyone wants someone poking around on your credit file.

I've always thought it should be the responsibility of the banks to go out of their way to make sure everyone who has been effected should be automatically refunded, not left to a customer to ask for it when wrong has been done by the bank.

I spent my life supplying financial temp staff, we got involved in projects like this all the time, yes it might cost the bank a fortune, but so what?
      Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.

Comment

The FSA themselves estimate that the response rate for the Root Cause Analysis customer contact exercise is circa 20%, based on recent past business reviews on PPI.

It would be interesting to know how far banks are required to trace customers who are no longer contactable at the address they were at at the point of sale or conclusion of the contract. IE would they be required call the customer's mobile number?

Maybe someone could ask in a Freedom of Information request (I can't as I currently have another one in) but I'd be happy to help drafting it. Request for information

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          I don't know. I was simply addressing the misrepresentation of Leclerc's reasonable point.
          I do not consider that my post was unreasonable and it was not meant to be a dig at leclerc.
          More like my view of how Bank's and their chosen agents operatate...

Comment

Originally posted by andrew1 View Post
            They seem to use the CRA's to great effect normally in tracing or checking on people, why not use them ? One quick search will show if an address is still live. Not that anyone wants someone poking around on your credit file.

I've always thought it should be the responsibility of the banks to go out of their way to make sure everyone who has been effected should be automatically refunded, not left to a customer to ask for it when wrong has been done by the bank.

I spent my life supplying financial temp staff, we got involved in projects like this all the time, yes it might cost the bank a fortune, but so what?
            Absolutely agree, Andrew1!

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
              I do not consider that my post was unreasonable
              Suggesting that Leclerc was saying that banks ‘’would not know who they sold/mis-sold PPI to’’ when he said nothing of the sort is not reasonable. How could it be?

You couldn’t buy a PPI policy without disclosing your name and current address.

Comment

You couldn’t buy a PPI policy without disclosing your name and current address.
                Of course, you couldn't!

What would be the point of that, even if it was a possibility?

Bank's keep records and process data subject information;
                the CRA's are also joint data controllers of the subjects information;
                the Bank's employ trace & investigation firms...

I fail to see the difficulty in finding customers who have been mis/sold payment protection insurance?

Unless of course, the individuals have moved abroad; USA exempt.

Comment

Of course, you couldn't!
                  Precisely.

Comment

http://trustyservant.com/archives/2785

Duncan Ouseley

Currently a High Court Judge (61). Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. LLM at University College, London. Atkin Scholar 1972 (each year Gray’s Inn has four scholarships for pupillage, now worth £5,000). The Atkin Scholarhsip is in memory of James Atkin, a bencher, died 1944). QC 1992. Appointed to High Court (Queen’s Bench Division) 2000.
                    He was in the news yesterday because his judgment in the PPI case was published:

After 48 pages of discussion, Ouseley comprehensively rejected the BBA case.

Of course, the banks are free to appeal this judgment to the Court of Appeal and if necessary to the Supreme Court. But there is clearly a political cost to doing so. The news coverage has not exactly been sympathetic towards them.

More details on link.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                      If you read my recent posts, I have explained what I meant not that I thought it was necessary since I was applying a logical explanation however, if someone could look at the welcome/FSCS manner in which they have contacted customers then that would be appreciated since I doubt they have gone to the ends of the earth to contact customers apart from name and address either at the time of the policy ending(for non existing customers now) and to the current address for existing customers today.
                      At the end of the day, I think it is unreasonable for you to expect the banks to trace each and every single customer where mail is returned should that be the criteria that is used post PPI JR case(and we are no where near that time yet to even be there).

Sorry,

as I've said several times LC, I have a lot of time for your comments on many areas and am impressed with your knowledge in many areas, but in this particular point I must disagree -

It's straight and simple, it is perfectly reasonable to expect them to go to the same effort to trace a past customer and return monies (being generous in the extreme!) "mistakenly" taken from them for a missold insurance policy as they would when the customer owes them money but has left the adress the bank has recorded

As someone else pointed out, this trace work will cost the banks, but that is quite frankly tough - I wouldn't mind betting that come the end of it all the banks would still come out on top financially as no doubt a lot of this loss would be written off against tax

ETA: The number of customers that would need to be gtraced should bear no relevance to this at all, they were quite happy taking the money from millions of people, so now let them find them and pay them back their ill gotten gains
                      Last edited by ncf355; 1st May 2011, 12:35:PM.

Comment

Precisely.
                        Precisely what?

We are not discussing fictuous individuals who live in fairyland; buying a PPI policy without disclosing their address.

I cannot see your point, because the fictuous individuals would not be able to make a claim, whether the PPI was mis/sold or, not.

What we are discussing is the future possibility of Bank's being able to contact their customers in relation to their mis-sold or, mis-applied PPI.

Personally, I cannot see any difficulty, unless the customer is an individual who just doesn't want to be found/located.
                        Last edited by Angry Cat; 1st May 2011, 12:22:PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Precisely what?

We are not discussing fictuous individuals who live in fairyland; buying a PPI policy without disclosing their address.

I cannot see your point, because the fictuous individuals would not be able to make a claim, whether the PPI was mis/sold or, not.

What we are discussing is the future possibility of Bank's being able to contact their customers in relation to their mis-sold or, mis-applied PPI.

Personally, I cannot see any difficulty, unless the customer is an individual who just doesn't want to be found/located.
                          For the avoidance of doubt what we are discussing are your comments to Leclerc.

So I'll spoon-feed it to you:

If, as you now seem to agree, it is ludicrous to suggest it is possible to buy PPI without the seller knowing your name and current address (ie knowing who you are) then it is equally ludicrous and, in my view, somewhat patronising, to infer that that is what Leclerc's point was.

Comment

EXC, I do not need to be spoon fed nor, do I like your patronising tone!

How long have I been studying mis-sold and mis-applied PPI?

Answer: 6 Years.

For the avoidance of doubt:
                            by leclerc:
                            with regards to NCF, how are the banks supposed to contact customers who have not claimed PPI and have then moved address?

Surely the whole point of pro active contact is that it is sent to the last known address.

The current situation with regards to Welcome Finance is that all PPI customers are receiving letters with regards to PPI and I would assume to the last known address, are you expecting them to write to an address that they do not have and cannot be certain is the one that the claimant live in?

Surely that is a ridiculous thing to suggest. Furthermore, not everyone will contact the bank in spite of the possibility of reclaiming PPI to get a refund of premiums.
                            What happens then?

Should the bank proactively refund a customer directly to their account or the account that they might have had but may not have now?

I think that we are assuming a lot currently in spite of the fact that the BBA have not yet put in their grounds of appeal and have yet to be heard in that appeal.
                            Once that has been heard and a final decision reached be it at the Supreme Court or lower court then we can start talking about how they will calculate redress.

Comment

Now now girls and boys,...we're all here for the same thing..
                              Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                                In regards to the appeal, my feeling is that it will be announced the day before the final day on the 9th May.

I could be wrong, but as we all know they will drag it out, possibly will try for appeal, if accepted, know in them they will get it, it will be then months before it takes place.

Still as said earlier, I'm staying positive through this, even though it is frustrating, but we will get through it folks, that is my opinion anyway.

It is frustrating. However my frustration is vented at the FSA. They have not authorised or sanctioned the banks to put complaints on hold at any time.

It's about the time the FSA grew a set of balls and either cave in to the banks pressure and confirm to customers that they have allowed them to put a hold in place or take firm and direct action with almost immediate effect against the banks which are not abiding by 'their' rules. The FSA seem to be good at talking the talk but when it comes to walking the walk they have failed miserable. What's the point in them telling banks that they should still be processing complaints as normal if they are not going to do anything about it if they don't?

The FSA can not sit on the fence any more.

Sanction a hold or take strong and direct actions against the bank.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X