• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Just tried calling the beloved Lloyds TSB Insurance Customer Care line which said the following....."We are now looking at what action to take in response to the decision of the JR. Once we have made our decision we will write to you to inform you. At this moment there is nothing for you to do."

"How to make a mockery of the British Legal System" should be the title of the book the banks should bring out.

Once again after miss-selling products they are allowed to delay things again.

My apologies for being cynical but think I will be retired before this is sorted out. As I was not only told my loan would not be authourised unless the PPI element was added on, I was self-employed - double whammy.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you do get an offer of a settlement just make sure you get the interest that is owed for the time your claim has been held up by the JR. I am personally considering submitting invoices for my time to be added.

Comment

The thing I really struggle with is how you can tell whether your (or a) complaint is or is not affected by the outcome of the judicial review, remebering that these complaints have already been made and as the Judge said in his handown, there is really no change other than the banks having to look at all complaints proactively rather than waiting for a complaint, which does not concern any of the complaints that have already been made. So how do the camplainants know whether their complaint is legitimately on hold or not. Does kind of put in perspective those banks that are not dealing with ANY complaint and it does feel time for the strong little finger of the law (fsa) ought to get their shop in order and remember the authority that they gained by an act of parliament which included the setting up of FOS.

Comment

Originally posted by stevesouth33 View Post
        The thing I really struggle with is how you can tell whether your (or a) complaint is or is not affected by the outcome of the judicial review, remebering that these complaints have already been made and as the Judge said in his handown, there is really no change other than the banks having to look at all complaints proactively rather than waiting for a complaint, which does not concern any of the complaints that have already been made. So how do the camplainants know whether their complaint is legitimately on hold or not. Does kind of put in perspective those banks that are not dealing with ANY complaint and it does feel time for the strong little finger of the law (fsa) ought to get their shop in order and remember the authority that they gained by an act of parliament which included the setting up of FOS.
        IMHO the banks know most legitimate claims are for breach(es) of ICOB and therefore could easily have been dealt with whilst JR rumbled on however they chose to hide behind JR to avoid delaing with. at a guess i'd say less than half (prob even way less than that thinking about it) were directly effected by JR decision and those would be ones relating to use of principles, as you say the FSA needs to grow a spine (and some teeth) and take on any Bank which doesnt start dealing with complaints with immediate effect.

Comment

At least it's a bit further forward, thanks largely to consumer power.
          One small (no, quite big, actually) step & all that!
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

This is the first part of the process. Permission for the JR was given and then the JR was dismissed. The appeal is more than likely so whilst today's decision is good, and was not unexpected from the early reports coming out the High Court during the case the likelihood is an appeal.
            I guess the next question really needs to be asked is about timescale for the appeal, ie 21 days to appeal and how long after that will a hearing occur.
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              This is the first part of the process. Permission for the JR was given and then the JR was dismissed. The appeal is more than likely so whilst today's decision is good, and was not unexpected from the early reports coming out the High Court during the case the likelihood is an appeal.
              I guess the next question really needs to be asked is about timescale for the appeal, ie 21 days to appeal and how long after that will a hearing occur.
              is fasttracked so hopefully not too long but have to bear in mind summer recess approaching fast, if doesnt get in before then a decision on any appeal following hearings etc could well be nov/dec.

Comment

"Permission to appeal may be given only where –

(a)the court considers that the appeal would have a real prospect of success; or

(b)there is some other compelling reason why the appeal should be heard."

Permission will be granted if they appeal.
                Summer recess is end of July so I would expect the any decision would be in that kinda timescale potentially.

Comment

This is RBS Group's stance on things (just received it).

It's also marked PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL!

20 April 2011

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Dear Sir/Madam

Your Customers’ Payment Protection Insurance with The Royal Bank of Scotland Group

You have made complaints on behalf of your customers about the sale of their Payment Protection Insurance (“PPI”).

Although the judgment (following the recent Judicial Review) has recently been delivered, we and the BBA are still considering its implications. We will contact you and your customers once this analysis has been completed and once we know whether any of the parties plans to appeal. Following this, if there are no appeals, we will have clarification as to the standards against which your customers’ complaints should be assessed which will allow us to make a final decision and respond to their complaint.

If any of the parties to the proceedings do decide to appeal, this could lead to our mutual customers’ complaints continuing to be placed on hold until the appeals process is complete. We will write to each of your customers and yourselves to update further once the precise position is known.

Yours faithfully

Mark Bayliss
                  Senior Operations Manager

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by NLP View Post
                    So what have we learnt today from this "fast-tracked case"?

The JR was pointless in the first instance... we knew it, the FSA knew it, the FOS knew it and most of all the BBA/Lenders knew it...... but they did win.. you see... it's been 6 months since a pause in claims... and now 3 more weeks to decide to appeal... which they will

and then?

another 6-12 months wait?

this was the masterplan from the off... win lose draw... "they always win"

You've missed out the final result? After the appeal do you assume they will "win"?
                    If they loose the appeal how can you say they have won?

Comment

So its three steps forwards and two back?
                      What if FOS decided against you because of the age of the claim?
                      Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

I may actually send Lloyds another email, although expected to be told the same.
                        Will copy it to the CEO, for some strange reason they tend to get back a little quicker lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtired View Post
                          So its three steps forwards and two back?
                          What if FOS decided against you because of the age of the claim?
                          Why would the FOS do this?
                          I would simply say that today's decision is one step forward because we now have a decision that we can read and hopefully understand. The decision to take the PPI case to JR was of the BBA's own making in October 2010 and now in April 2011 we have permission granted and the JR thrown out on all counts.
                          If we have to make an analogy with the bank charges case, the first decision was more or less a draw, ie charges being penalties was won by the BBA and the OFT only won on UTCCR. In the PPI judgement, the BBA lost on all counts they were contending which is pretty much a convincing judgement.
                          I kinda feel like groundhog day again but the appeal is likely, but there is not necessarily going to be a change in the judgement. We'll have to wait and see why they are appealing.

Comment

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2011/999.html

If you don't have MS Word then you can read the judgement at this addy. Quite a good read really

Comment

I have emailed Lloyds anyway, despite having a good idea on what they will come back with (if they do), and copied it to CEO.
                              I asked them to put me in the picture of my ongoing complaints they are holding since the announcement this morning.

Comment

From over at MSE, read this - post number 15851

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1#post43004388

???

Think that company must have promised to get on with complaints if the JR wasn't won, we have yet got to wait to see if they appeal!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X