• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Early Tweets indicate that the FSA press office believe that there will be a reserved judgement, ie we won't get the verdict today.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
      Thanks, it was just that I understand Lord Panick had made that point, that it would hit the insurers, and, the establishment being the establishment, might well consider wider public interest issues like the economy etc, rather than the injustices of mis-sold PPI as such. If you know what i mean, although I'm not expressing it very well...
      Fair point, the genreal concensus on the bank charges case was that the courts folded in view of the pressure having torepay might put on the already fragile banks, is possible could see similar decision here, we just have to hope that the banks have genreated enough ill will via massive proft announcements, refusing to lend & bonus' etc that the court will decide they can handle and indeed deserve to take a hit

Comment

Originally posted by Paul210 View Post
        Fair point, the genreal concensus on the bank charges case was that the courts folded in view of the pressure having torepay might put on the already fragile banks, is possible could see similar decision here, we just have to hope that the banks have genreated enough ill will via massive proft announcements, refusing to lend & bonus' etc that the court will decide they can handle and indeed deserve to take a hit
        All aspects of the case are based on the evidence given and not outside influence. If they make massive profit announcement then they will be long overshadowed by the massive axe in public sector jobs by the time the case ever gets to the Supreme Court(since the High Court decided twice against the banks).

Comment

If ( I appreciate it won't happen) they were to pay out proactive ppi refunds as a matter of course (en masse, to all with similar details to where previous claims had been upheld) it would be a massive boost to the economy - most people receiving 2-3k in their pocket that they didn't expect are going to go and spend it (HDTV, holiday, etc) - imagine what a boost that would give to retail !

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
            If ( I appreciate it won't happen) they were to pay out proactive ppi refunds as a matter of course (en masse, to all with similar details to where previous claims had been upheld) it would be a massive boost to the economy - most people receiving 2-3k in their pocket that they didn't expect are going to go and spend it (HDTV, holiday, etc) - imagine what a boost that would give to retail !
            To give an analogy of the bank charges cases, most people who got refunds paid off their debts first rather than spend it on luxuries that they didn't need or require. If they did act in this manner then it would be completely irrational and imho blind stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post

Spend it or, reduce their debts!
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              Early Tweets indicate that the FSA press office believe that there will be a reserved judgement, ie we won't get the verdict today.
              To be expected, leclerc!
              Last edited by Angry Cat; 28th January 2011, 10:55:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                I believe Tom Brennan is there for LB as well. I suspect we will find quite a lot of people there because today is the last day of the hearing so there might be a decision at the end of the day.
                I'd love it if there was a decision by the end of the day Leclerc, but I don't think it will be. It is more usual for judges in judicial reviews to make their decisions away from the hearings and deliver it through written documents delivered to the parties, rather than as a verbal decision. Having said that as this is an "urgent" review the judge may be more willing to make his decision earlier.

CT

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Tuesday View Post
                  It is more usual for judges in judicial reviews to make their decisions away from the hearings and deliver it through written documents delivered to the parties...
                  CT
                  After polititian's have whispered in their ears?

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
                    After polititian's have whispered in their ears?
                    Which they clearly didn't whisper loud enough in two bank charges case.
                    Put down the paranoia.....it's not quite time to inject ourselves with it yet.....we have the Supreme Court for the funny handshakes

Comment

I'm becoming more confused with what the BBA are appealing here.

In short, can I ask the following:

What is it the BBA are appealing... i.e. That the FSA do not have the power to reinforce rules prior to their establishment?
                      If this is the case, why have cases post 2005 (after the FSA was formed) been placed on hold also?

If the BBA win the JR, does this mean that anyone who has been mis-sold the insurance pre or post 05 are unable to get their monies back?

Comment

the banks have put claims on hold not as a matter of principle, but as a means of frustrating the system. If claims really were that detrimental institutions like Santander wouldn't still be handling them. It's just banks being too big for their boots really.

CT

Comment

Mis sold insurance, why claim your mis sold PPI
                          Hate using CMC data but I think the list of companies fined include almost all of the companies within the Santander group. I doubt they had a case at all.

Comment

If the Judge does not rule today, when are we likely to hear an outcome?? Next week, Next Month.....

Comment

I'd say (guessing!) within a month. The judge is likely to give an estimated time frame for issuing his judgement if it is not resolved today. This was the case in the recent Keydata case which involved the FSCS (the FSA was also involved as an interested paty).

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/stor...ed&PageSize=10

CT

Comment

Agree, CT.
                                We should hear in a few weeks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X