• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ricky62

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky62

Hi, I started using calims management compant belmont thornton back in April, initially they were quick in dealing with my complaint, so qick in fact I ended up with a debt to them as the credit card involved just deducted from what I owed them, as I am out of work, paying this debt to Belmont Thornton would be impossible given my level of income. I tried writing to appeal to their better nature, in a nut shell they didn't have a better nature, and basically said 'tough do do, you signed up', they went on to try and justify their stance. I immediately infromed them not to continue any further claims, incase this happens again, I had no reply.

They then started chasing the original debt, no less than 6 over due letters on each of the two small claims, plus text messages. Finally when I failed to pay the referred the debt to a collector (this being after 4 months) I borrowed the money from family to pay them off.

At the end of August I had a letter from LloydsTsb making an offer in settlement of my complaint with them. I had no correspondance from Belmonts at all ,no up dates, no this is what will happen, no nothing. I then spent more than a month worringying myself to death that I will end up with another huge debt to Belmonts. However I got sent a cheque from Lloyds in settlement and then Belmonts woke up and started hassling me for payment. Do I have to pay them given I asked them to stop, their lack of customer service, and that the payment from Lloyds was automatic and Belmont didn't have to do anything?
    Tags: None

Re: Ricky62

Did you write to them telling them not to continue? If so do you have evidence?

Alternatively if it was via telephone do you know if they record calls or do you have phone records confirming that you telephoned them on or around when you think you cancelled?

The problem is that even with cancellation there will be a fee due, although it may well be a smaller fee.

I would invoke their complaints procedure and formally explain why you dispute the new invoice. I would further state an intention to refer the matter to the MOJ should they not respond to your satisfaction.

Comment

I personally would also send Belmont a SAR to see what they have all done, ie how many creditors they have contacted on your behalf and also to see when and how they contacted them

Comment

Originally posted by skv123 View Post
        Did you write to them telling them not to continue? If so do you have evidence?

Alternatively if it was via telephone do you know if they record calls or do you have phone records confirming that you telephoned them on or around when you think you cancelled?

The problem is that even with cancellation there will be a fee due, although it may well be a smaller fee.

I would invoke their complaints procedure and formally explain why you dispute the new invoice. I would further state an intention to refer the matter to the MOJ should they not respond to your satisfaction.
        Hi thanks for info I did put it in writing but not formally i.e. I hand wrote a note on one of their letter/forms telling them not to proceed if that means I will be left a bill to them having not had a cash refund.

May I ask what MOJ is?
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Originally posted by Gorang View Post
        I personally would also send Belmont a SAR to see what they have all done, ie how many creditors they have contacted on your behalf and also to see when and how they contacted them
        Hi thanks for info what is SAR please?
        Last edited by Ricky62; 7th November 2011, 18:55:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

May I ask what MOJ is?
          Ministry of Justice, and they are the regulator for companies like this

Like i said I would be inclinded to send them a SAR (subject access request) also as it seems that they have not been very forward in letting you know who, never mind when, they have contacted anyone about your debts

So a SAR will/should show you exactly what they have done and when
          If they comply with the request, if they don't then they can be reported to the regulators for non compliance of the DPA 1998 request

Comment

I've sent a pm to someone who is very knowledgeable about CMC's to ask if they would have a look at it for you.

Comment

& link to SAR

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=27538
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X