• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

1st Line Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1st Line Services

It's not the address they have on their website now, is it? Hmmmm.

I'm thinking MD's personal home.
    My Blog
    http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by LuggerBugs View Post
      It's not the address they have on their website now, is it? Hmmmm.

I'm thinking MD's personal home.
      The address on their website is that the same as at companies house for the Ltd company?

Comment

OK, time to anny Anthony again. Just fired this email off to the fecker, since he never bothered to reply to my last email...

Hi Tony

Yopu haven’t bothered your backside to reply to my last email, so I just thought I’d let you know that I have conducted a check to see if your company has a Consumer Credit Licence. Apparently not.

Perhaps you don’t need one? I’ll just check with the OFT if you don’t mind.

Cheers matey,

Luggerbugs
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Email to OFT...

Dear Sir/Madam

I have recently been contacted by the company below. I have searched your online public register, but I can find no record of them holding a Consumer Credit Licence.

1st Line Services
        1st Floor,
        Unit 9 Cambrain Ind. Est
        Coed Cae Lane
        Pontyclun
        CF72 9EW

Customer Services
        08717 167811

Fax Number -
        0871 906 9922

email -

enquiries@1stlineservices.com

Company Reg No - 6064645

As they appear to be a claims management company carrying out activities relating to the Consumer Credit Act, I am loath to conduct business with a company that my not be properly licenced. Would you be kind enough to confirm if this company does indeed require a licence, and if so, does it actually hold one?

Many Thanks,

Mr Luggerbugs
        Last edited by LuggerBugs; 21st August 2009, 00:37:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        My Blog

Comment

Wishy, washy reply or what?

WTF do these people actualy DO apart from compose useless replies to our concerns? Sack the lot of them, I say.

Dear Mr Luggerbugs

I refer to your email to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT); I have checked the public register (www.oft.gov.uk/consumercreditregister) and can confirm that 1st Line Services do not hold a Consumer Credit Licence.

Regarding your question on whether 1st Line Services requires a consumer credit licence please note that the OFT can only provide general guidance on credit licensing requirements under the CCA and cannot give specific advice or clarification on whether a company or individual requires a Consumer Credit Licence. This is because only the Courts can give an authoritative view of the law. Further, the OFT is rarely in a position to know the full facts; even if it were, it cannot be a substitute for the trader's own legal advisers.

I hope this information helps.

Yours sincerely

Melissa Herold
          OFT Enquiries
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          My reply...

Dear Ms Herold,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it does not really answer my query. The fault may be mine, in that my question is not specific enough.

In which case, may I amend my query somewhat. Would you please confirm whether or not any company doing business as a Claims Management Company, whereby they attempt to recover bank charges, mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance and the like, would require a Consumer Credit Licence in order to operate within the law?

Thank you in anticipation,

Luggerbugs
          Last edited by LuggerBugs; 24th August 2009, 14:25:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          My Blog

Comment

Another Wishy Washy response...

Dear Mr Luggerbugs

Thank you for your further email to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), asking us to confirm whether or not a business requires a licence for the activities you have described.

It may be helpful if I provide some background on the licensing system.

As the body that oversees consumer credit licensing under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the CCA), our role is to consider the fitness of applicants for a credit licence, to monitor the continued fitness of licensees to retain their licence and to ensure compliance with the CCA and associated Regulations.

It is therefore outside OFT's remit to provide specific advise on whether or not a business engaging in consumer credit activities requires a licence as we cannot possibly be aware of all the facts. We can only offer general guidance on consumer credit licensing. This is because only the courts can conclusively interpret the law.

The OFT has published the guidance document 'Do you need a credit licence oft147 which may be of interest to you; this has information on businesses requiring a licence.
            www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/credit_licences/oft147.pdf

I hope this has clarified our previous email.

Yours sincerely

Melissa Herold
            OFT Enquiries
            Maybe this will provoke them into some kind of action. I suspect not, though...

Dear Ms Herold

Again, this does not really answer my query. After further research however, I have discovered that companies such as this DO require to be licenced.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/news/newsrelease170209a.htm

My attention was drawn to this paragraph:

Claims management businesses authorised by the Ministry of Justice have also been warned that when advising about the payment of debts or on rescheduling debts, they will need to be appropriately licensed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 by the Office of Fair Trading.

And I also note the following:

Welcoming the new guidance, Ray Watson, Office of Fair Trading (OFT) Director of Consumer Credit, said:
            'The OFT will not hesitate to take enforcement action against licensed claims management businesses who engage in unfair business practices by deliberately misleading vulnerable consumers about the services they offer. Businesses should also be aware that if they offer debt counselling or debt adjusting services without holding an appropriate licence, they will be committing a criminal offence and risk prosecution, and that any agreements they enter into with consumers whilst unlicensed may be unenforceable.'

I light of this new information, I would like to make a complaint about 1st Line Services, who have cold called me offering advice regarding the possibility of reclaiming mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance. Their website also infers that they are in the business of reclaiming bank charges and the like. It is my belief that by offering this type of service means that 1st Line Services would indeed require a Consumer Credit Licence in order to operate. As you have very kindly confirmed that they do not have one, I am of the opinion that they are operating illegally, as indicated by the above excerpts from the Ministry of Justice website URL given earlier.

I trust that this information will allow you to proceed with enforcement action as indicated by your Director of Consumer Credit, Ray Watson. Please let me know if there is any further information you require.

Regards,

Luggerbugs
            My Blog

Comment

That was the same wishy washy response that I got when I phoned the OFT regarding Cento Client Review so at least they are consistent.

They reffered me to the guidelines as they did to you and told me that if they fell into any of the criterea's for holding a licence and they do not have such a licence then you have to complain to the Trading Standards, as aparently they do not police the licencing of companies that should hold a licence.

I think it is a total nonsense that the OFT are not overseeing this directly and you have to go to yet another government agency to complain before they will take action.

So goodness knows how many companies are getting away without having the proper licence and why this is not built in to the MOJ registration when they apply to them.

It should be like other areas for instance where you want to renew your car tax, you cannot unless you have valid insurance and a MOT if required.

There are a lot of companies out who are not holding a valid OFT licence - so in my books they should definately not be trading at all.

Tutts

Comment

I guess I need to get an email off to the MoJ again then Tuttsi, and quote the above paragraph at them, since they bloomin well made the statement.

Maybe they'll be the next lot we see in the list of those that have bitten the dust.
                My Blog

Comment

Dunno why I bother. She should refund her wages, because she's drawing them under false pretences, IMHO...

Dear Mr Luggerbugs

Thank you for your further email to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).

Claims management companies (CMCs) who review or advise on the unenforceability of consumer credit agreements must be authorised by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ). More information about the regulation of claims management companies and general advice can be found on the website: www.claimsregulation.gov.uk.

Complaints about CMCs should be made to the MoJ's Claims Management Regulator. We would suggest that you may wish to contact the MoJ’s Claims Management Unit (CMU) about this company. You can email the CMU at: info@claimsregulation.gov.uk.

Turning first to your complaint about 1st Line Services offering advice regarding the possibility of reclaiming mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance. The FSA is the appropriate authority for enforcing PPI and you may well be best placed to approach them on this matter.

The contact details are:

The Financial Services Authority (FSA)
                  25 The North Colonnade
                  Canary Wharf
                  London E14 5HS

Tel: 020 7676 1000

You then go on to say their website also infers that they are in the business of reclaiming bank charges and the like. Reclaiming bank charges is not a licensable activity. Complaints of this type should be forwarded to the MoJ:

I hope this information proves helpful to you.

Yours sincerely,

Melissa Herold
                  OFT Enquiries
                  My Blog

Comment

Despair...................
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Why can't the OFT give a definitve answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Despair...................

I despair of the number of threads like this that seem to be springing up and all these companies with such dubious-looking practices apparently being based in Wales.... it's giving the decent Welsh folk a bad name !!!

Little wonder then that Swansea was recently described as the 'call centre capital of the UK'.

It's really time that the authorities clamped down on these people and put proper regulations in place specifically for them, that they cannot flout.

Good luck with this Luggerbugs. These people need to be taught a lesson and you are giving them a lot to think about.

Comment

Well, 1st Line now seem to be ignoring my emails. Not very professional. I'm quite hurt actually, after all the attention they showered me with yesterday.

So. A formal complaint by email is in order methinks, to be backed up in writing. Who to compain to though. Hmmm. Would they be covered by the FOS, maybe? Anyone any idea?

Don't think there's any point in a SAr to be honest. They'll no doubt delete everything and plead ignorance. So I'll just ask nicely by letter and give them 7 days to reply.

I think the ICO must be sick of me by now.
                          I too have been conned by this shower. Will not rest till i get my £99- 99. back.Have also wrote to them and given them 14 days to reply.

Comment

Do tell, Curly Chops... give us all the details. The more info folks can give here, the better, as it all pops up nicely in a Google search. If it helps stop even one person from being taken in by this lot in the future, it must surely be worth it.
                            My Blog

Comment

Do tell, Curly Chops... give us all the details. The more info folks can give here, the better, as it all pops up nicely in a Google search. If it helps stop even one person from being taken in by this lot in the future, it must surely be worth it.
                              HI . Everyone i am new to this. The story so far is . My wife had a phone call in june to claim back ppi on morgtage. The lady s name was candice. Seemed very nice and polite . Seemed to know all the details . She then said a chap called Paul would ring back to process it but would need £99-99. to do this. Like fool gave credit card details. He did ring back in half an hour . He also was very polite and seemed genuine. A week later received paper work . Filled in all forms and sent back . Have not heard anything since. Phoned M.O.J. on friday . They said they have Reg. number crm 14628. We sent off registered letter on Monday 7th Sept. Giving them 2 weeks to reply or refund us our money back. Just waiting now for results if any? End of part one. Part two comming soon. Glad i have found this site.

Comment

No point telling you now never to give out details of ANY description to somebody who calls you unexpectedly. Lesson learned the hard way, and sympathies to you for getting taken in mate.

So, you merely filled in the bumff (that is freely available from the site that they generate leads for), and sent it back. No agreement between you and 1st Line, I'd imagine. Just a promise over the phone that they would make your dreams come true for just under £100.

And now, 3 months down the line, not only have they NOT turned your dreams to reality, but they haven't the common decency to explain to you what is happening.

I'd have advised complaining to the OFT, but it seems that bunch can't even tie their own shoelaces these days: it's always sombody else's problem. Ach, why not. Go for it. AND Trading Standards while you are at it.

Oh, look. How misleading is their website. No mention whatsoever of having to part with any cash up front. Quite the opposite, in fact..

About 1st Line Services Established since 2005 1st Line Services Ltd aim and services is to reclaim miss-sold PPI’s from credit cards, finance and mortgages and rightfully compensate them back to the client who should never of been paying for them in the first place.
                                All 1st Line Sevices need from you is some of your time and commitment in order to reclaim your money back and the good news is that you the client will not be responsible to pay for any legal costs whatsoever.
                                For more information please dont hesitate to contact the 1st Line Services team.
                                My Blog

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X