• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I win my case against Bank by default?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I win my case against Bank by default?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on this site, and really hoping someone could give me some advice...

Basically, as with everyone else, my court case to reclaim bank charges was stayed, and the stay was withheld even when I applied to my local County Court for it to be lifted owing to hardship issues.

However, the stay issued by the Court states that:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

1. The claim is stayed until the final decision in the case between the Office of Fair Trading and Abbey National plc and others (Claim No: 2007 Folio No. 1186), including any appeal ("the test case").

2. Within 14 days of the final decision in the test case, the Defendent must file and serve the following:

a) a case summary of not more than 500 words setting out the effect of that decision.
    b) Suggested directions for this claim.

3. On receipt of the documents from the Defendant, the court will make further directions.

4. Either party may apply at any time for the stay to be lifted.

Does anyone know, as more than 14 days have lapsed since the outcome, can I request judgement by default, and if so, would I use form N225 / N227 or just write into the Court? Or do I sit tight for the mo?

Additionally, if claims are struck out by the Courts, do we get our court fee back?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks )

Re: Can I win my case against Bank by default?

I would sit tight for the moment, give the court a call and ask what the position on your claim is explaining the directions you have, then let us know.

Otherwise I would be happy to keep it stayed until at least the OFT announcement at the end of this month.

If you apply for default judgment you risk the bank applying to set that judgment aside and possibly applying to strike the claim out which would be more cost and stress to you.

From an overall point of view it will be interesting what the banks ask for when these 500 word summarys start being entered.

Ame
    xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

can I request Judgement by Default on stayed Bank case?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on this site, and really hoping someone could give me some advice... (and apologise for posting this twice - I think I'm in the correct forum now... yep, typical newb!)

Basically, as with everyone else, my court case to reclaim bank charges was stayed, and the stay was withheld even when I applied to my local County Court for it to be lifted owing to hardship issues.

However, the stay issued by the Court states that:

1. The claim is stayed until the final decision in the case between the Office of Fair Trading and Abbey National plc and others (Claim No: 2007 Folio No. 1186), including any appeal ("the test case").

2. Within 14 days of the final decision in the test case, the Defendent must file and serve the following:

a) a case summary of not more than 500 words setting out the effect of that decision.
      b) Suggested directions for this claim.

3. On receipt of the documents from the Defendant, the court will make further directions.

4. Either party may apply at any time for the stay to be lifted.

Does anyone know, as more than 14 days have lapsed since the outcome, can I request judgement by default, and if so, would I use form N225 / N227 or just write into the Court? Or do I sit tight for the mo?

Additionally, if claims are struck out by the Courts, do we get our court fee back?

Any help appreciated.

Comment

Re: can I request Judgement by Default on stayed Bank case?

No, you cannot go for a default judgment as your case has not yet been heard or timescales not adhered to.

Did you file your case summary as directed by the court?

Comment

Re: can I request Judgement by Default on stayed Bank case?

ooo repeat thread - will merge the two.

the case summary was for the defendant (the bank) to submit.

Originally posted by from other earlier thread
          I would sit tight for the moment, give the court a call and ask what the position on your claim is explaining the directions you have, then let us know.

Otherwise I would be happy to keep it stayed until at least the OFT announcement at the end of this month.

If you apply for default judgment you risk the bank applying to set that judgment aside and possibly applying to strike the claim out which would be more cost and stress to you.

From an overall point of view it will be interesting what the banks ask for when these 500 word summarys start being entered.

Ame
          xx

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Can I win my case against Bank by default?

I did telephone the Court earlier and the Clerk I spoke to did say that Lawyers were being quite sneaky in asking multiple cases to be just struck off, so if I did want to make noise, best to do it soon! I think I'll call him back on Monday and see what else he can add.

Thanks everyone

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X