• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

debt owed from around 2008-ish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debt owed from around 2008-ish

I have a debt which is from around 2008 and a company from lowell has been sending me letters asking for this debt. They keep sending me letters but this week the letter has become threatening. They have written " we refer to our previous letters. Unfortunately we've still not agreed with you how you'll repay you're debt with us and therefore it has been escalated for legal assessment." I haven't contacted them at all and a few of my friends have said that if a debt hasn't been payed in so many years then the debt will be dropped?. Also it would be removed from my credit rating which it hasn't. It is still on my credit. Any help would be great to get this thing sorted.. also every letter was demanding money but not what for..
    Tags: None

Re: debt owed from around 2008-ish

give details of this alledged debt i.e. what ? last paid. last acknowledged, to whom as then peeps can get the true picture/.state of the debt

Comment

What does your credit rating show?

What sort of debt is this?

When did you last make a payment to it?

Is this your only problem debt?

Comment

Sorry about the late reply. Didn't give me a notification. The debt is from when my wallet was stolen and the person used it for contract phones and money shop loans. Like an idiot I kept my pin on a little piece of paper in my wallet. And I haven't done a credit check bit I know it is on it as I cannot upgrade my card. The person at the bank said that there is something on it and I know it is about that. I haven't paid anything towards that debt not a penny. I also haven't contacted lowell about it either but they do keep sending me letters.

Comment

So is this an overdraft or a credit card?

Comment

No overdraft. It was just a standard card

Comment

Originally posted by bcfcsavag33 View Post
              No overdraft. It was just a standard card
              Credit Card Or Debit card/ current account?

nem

Comment

Current account

Comment

?

The card was taken out in 2008 & used regularly by some other person, unbeknownst to you?

Any idea when it was last used?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

have to ask why was the unauthorised use of s cash/debit card not noticed and reported immediately?

nem

Comment

As soon as I noticed my wallet had gone I rang up to cancel my card but unfortunately the person already had done the damage. I called the fraud and investigation unit for them to look into it. I can't remember exactly what happened as it was like 8 years ago but I know nothing was really done about it. I didn't hear anything for years. Then all of a sudden I started getting letters saying I owe X amount

Comment

I would love to ask all kinds of questions, but cutting to the chase, if the debt is over 6 years old, & you haven't acknowledged it either by payment or in writing, then by virtue of the Limitation Act 1980 s5, the debt is statute-barred.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

As soon as I noticed my wallet had gone I rang up to cancel my card but unfortunately the person already had done the damage. I called the fraud and investigation unit for them to look into it. I can't remember exactly what happened as it was like 8 years ago but I know nothing was really done about it. I didn't hear anything for years. Then all of a sudden I started getting letters saying I owe X amount
                          Is this account closed now?
                          Are you sure that this is the same account that Lowell are chasing?

You really need to do a credit check asap you can use Noddle free online.

I am confused by your statement that you cannot upgrade your card and the bank teller says there is
                          something " on it " which makes me think this not same debt.

Accounts are closed before being sold but it sounds as if you are still using the same account.

Can you clarify please?

nem

Comment

Nemesis.. I am using a new branch. I am assuming that lowell has been trying to find me and have now put that debt onto my new card? I don't know all the technics of it all I just know that this is the only debt I have which was with my previous branch the branch person told me to use a website to check my credit rating but never got round to doing it but I will try the one you have said now..

Comment

These letters must give some indication of the alleged debt?
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X