• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Company

Are they entitled to all of my personal information? I'm tired of having to provide proof of expenditure to them. They've just asked for 3 months worth of bank statements to show proof that my weekly shopping bill has risen sharply. Am I entitled to just make an offer or do I have to supply "proof"? I wondered if giving them my shopping receipts would be sufficient?
    Tags: None

Hi CANDLE

Who is the debt company?

Maybe you should write back, asking if they have read the FCA's recent letter to 3,500 lenders 'remind them of the standards they should meet as consumers across the country are affected by the rising cost of living. With household bills expected to continue to rise into the autumn, it is important that firms act now to make sure borrowers struggling with payments and customers in vulnerable circumstances can access the help they need.'

https://www.credit-connect.co.uk/new...ost-of-living/

Maybe the cost of living hasn't effected debt collectors, cost of utility's, food, fuel etc. The 'cost of living' isn't a 3 month thing.

They should ask you to fill in a income and expenditure form rather then ask for bank statements.
    Then make an offer, what you can afford, if it's £1, so be it. A Court will only ever ask you to pay what you can afford to pay.

Comment

Personally, I think asking for Bank statements is going too far, it's like asking for your life day to day experience, and that is going too far.

Comment

What is the debt regarding?

Comment

It was passed to the company after a claim for damages.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            Hi CANDLE

Who is the debt company?

Maybe you should write back, asking if they have read the FCA's recent letter to 3,500 lenders 'remind them of the standards they should meet as consumers across the country are affected by the rising cost of living. With household bills expected to continue to rise into the autumn, it is important that firms act now to make sure borrowers struggling with payments and customers in vulnerable circumstances can access the help they need.'

https://www.credit-connect.co.uk/new...ost-of-living/

Maybe the cost of living hasn't effected debt collectors, cost of utility's, food, fuel etc. The 'cost of living' isn't a 3 month thing.

They should ask you to fill in a income and expenditure form rather then ask for bank statements.
            Then make an offer, what you can afford, if it's £1, so be it. A Court will only ever ask you to pay what you can afford to pay.
            They are called DWF Law LLP

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
              Personally, I think asking for Bank statements is going too far, it's like asking for your life day to day experience, and that is going too far.
              I agree and I don't want to have to fill-in and sign any forms either: After all, I don't really get what I'm agreeing to?

Comment

Originally posted by Candlelight View Post

They are called DWF Law LLP
                They are a firm of solicitors, not a DCA. So DWF has been hired by a Creditor who owns the debt.

Comment

DWF Law Solicitor's ask them what is the debt regarding?

Comment

Originally posted by Candlelight View Post
                    It was passed to the company after a claim for damages.
                    Do you mean that you have been ordered to pay damages, which you have not paid? If so, you can be summoned to court for a nice detailed grilling about your assets and finances.
                    Last edited by atticus; 28th June 2022, 14:36:PM.
                    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post

Do you mean that you have been ordered to pay damages, which you have not paid? If so, you can be summoned to court for a nice detailed grilling about your assets and finances.
                      No, of course I am paying, I don't feel I have any choice. However, How would you feel if you had been wrongly accused of causing a road traffic accident and the person who had claimed against you had committed perjury?

Comment

Anyway, the "debt company" represents a judgement creditor.
                        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                          Anyway, the "debt company" represents a judgement creditor.
                          Oh, so I guess that means I'm stuck with whatever they want to do to me!

Comment

I suppose you are not insured in respect of this.

Comment

Unfortunately, no. I guess that's one of the reasons why I felt I couldn't defend myself (apart from being very ill at the time of the claim which was 3 years after the accident had ocurred and by then my witness had moved house and changed phone number).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X