• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paid money to wrong bank account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid money to wrong bank account

Hi everyone,

I messed up and need help on the what I need to do next.

I make my Vat payment through my mobile app banking but for some reason on 28th February 2020 I made a payment and then another one on 14th August 2020. The following day I was paying something completely different and realised I've got 2 HMRC saved payment accounts. I then looked into it and realised that those two last payments was sent to HMRCs correct sort code but the account number was wrong. I don't know how the account number was saved as my Vat number minus one digit.

Both payments has been taken from my account, I've contacted HMRC and they have confirmed that the payments has not been received by them. I've contacted Barclays bank and they are looking into this.

I was wondering what happened, surely there shouldn't be a same account with the name HMRC, same sort code and my Vat number as an actual bank account. Also shouldn't this incorrect details meant the money to bounce back to my account, does anyone know where the money has gone or any experience in this?

Is there a change this money will not be returned to me, I am slightly worried as its a large sum and especially payments that should of been sent to HMRC.

Appreciate any help, thanks.
    Tags: bank, hmrc, payment, vat

If it’s a valid account with HMRC it’s gone into that account, Barclays should have done a BACs recall on the funds immediately.

If it’s not a valid account number with that bank it will have gone into what banks call suspense accounts. The bank can do one of two things, try to apply the funds to the correct account and if not return the money to where it came from (you).

It’s more likely that the account number was invalid as pretty much only the government banks with the Bank of England, even the Queen doesn’t bank with them. She banks with Coutts for anyone reading this and wondering.

If Barclays have raised it with the Bank of England they’ll be looking for where the money has gone, so will come back to Barclays when they know if they have applied it or it’s in suspense therefore they’ll return it.

If they have applied HMRC probably don’t know because of the incorrect VAT number to apply it to your VAT account.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, HMRC should know which person paid in as I put the correct reference down and only got the account number wrong.

I'm surprised that the February payment which I made hasn't been rectified by them. But saying that I only found out myself on the 15th of August and have put the claim in for both transactions today. I'm hoping that it is gone to the suspense account which you mention and they pay me back rather than any other companies or persons account as I might face a challenge to reclaim that back.
      Do you think that any one else has the same sort code as HMRC?

Comment

It’s not HMRC’s it’s the Bank of England’s and as far as I’m aware only the government have accounts with them.

As I said previously not even the Queen banks with them.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X