• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal aid confusion.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal aid confusion.

Hello, I hope you can help me. I was recently arrested and spent 36 hours in the police station until an initial court appearance and had no contact with my current employer. Therefore when asked on the day of court if I qualified for legal aid I sad 'no I am employed'. It later transpired that I had lost my job due to my arrest and need legal aid as I have no way of paying the costs of representation. My solicitor says that I must pay myself as at the time of court I said mistakenly that I was working. I don't know what my options are at this point.
    Tags: None

Was your arrest something to do with your employer? or were you dismissed simply because you missed work for the time where you were under arrest ?

How long had you been employed with that employer?

You were correct when you answered the question, you were employed so you weren't mistaken at all. You can make an application for legal aid after that initial appearance due to the change of circumstances... but you probably need to look at your employers actions in dismissing you as well first.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Was your arrest something to do with your employer? or were you dismissed simply because you missed work for the time where you were under arrest ?

How long had you been employed with that employer?

You were correct when you answered the question, you were employed so you weren't mistaken at all. You can make an application for legal aid after that initial appearance due to the change of circumstances... but you probably need to look at your employers actions in dismissing you as well first.
      I was only a couple of weeks with my employer. It was both missing work and loss of driving license.
      I don't know why my solicitor is telling I can't get legal aid then. Should I just get a different solicitor or apply for legal aid to pay him despite what he has said?

Comment

Loss of driving licence, presumably you required a driving licence to do the job - you'll probably know having only been there two weeks that you have very few rights unless you were dismissed due to a protected characteristic ( which you weren't ).

Ok so legal aid, is this solicitor one you were assigned at the police station?
        I'd give Civil Legal Advice helpline: call 0345 345 4345 - a call - tell them you have had your first appearance but have lost your job because of the arrest and ask them if you can now apply for legal aid and what your solicitor has told you.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Loss of driving licence, presumably you required a driving licence to do the job - you'll probably know having only been there two weeks that you have very few rights unless you were dismissed due to a protected characteristic ( which you weren't ).

Ok so legal aid, is this solicitor one you were assigned at the police station?
          I'd give Civil Legal Advice helpline: call 0345 345 4345 - a call - tell them you have had your first appearance but have lost your job because of the arrest and ask them if you can now apply for legal aid and what your solicitor has told you.
          I didn't want anything from the employer my sacking is fair enough. Thanks for your help. I will call them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jparki View Post
            I didn't want anything from the employer my sacking is fair enough. Thanks for your help. I will call them.
            Sorry forgot to answer, I declined the solicitor at the station and only accepted the duty court duty solicitor on the day of appearance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X