• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OFT to revoke licenses of 30 DMP firms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFT to revoke licenses of 30 DMP firms

Normally I would take everything written in Crudit Today with a wheelbarrow of salt... But I hope this is true.

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/news/ne....cfm?news=2113

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is poised to announce that it has revoked a number of debt management firms’ consumer credit licences.

Following a crackdown in the debt management sector, the OFT is also set to reveal in around the next 10 days that about 30 debt management firms have already surrendered their licences to the regulator.

The OFT issued a report in September last year, which warned 129 debt management firms that they would lose their consumer credit licences, unless they took immediate action to comply with its debt management guidance.

In its initial report in September, the OFT found widespread problems in the sector, particularly among fee-charging firms. These included misleading advertising as the most significant area of non-compliance, in particular failing to disclose a fee is retained by the business, and misrepresenting debt management services as being free when they are not.
    Tags: None

Re: OFT to revoke licenses of 30 DMP firms

I wish they'd revoke the licences of some DCAs instead

Comment

If the OFT revoked all the licenses they arguably should, there wouldn't be very much left to regulate.

Comment

Have already heard about this on the grapevine...

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
          If the OFT revoked all the licenses they arguably should, there wouldn't be very much left to regulate.
          Hi Nibbler

Im with you here.

Comment

What about some of the wild claims CMC's make on TV adverts this needs looking at too specially the fee up front ones.
            If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

And then theres the.... 'Little Known Goverment Legislation' thats a good one.

Comment

30 isn't bad from the original 129 - guess some have pulled their socks up a bit since last Sept.

OFT takes action to address widespread problems in debt management industry - The Office of Fair Trading

I can think of a few DMP firms I'd like to see on the binned list, but doubt they will be.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  30 isn't bad from the original 129 - guess some have pulled their socks up a bit since last Sept.

OFT takes action to address widespread problems in debt management industry - The Office of Fair Trading

I can think of a few DMP firms I'd like to see on the binned list, but doubt they will be.
                  The full report actually says there were more than 129.....

Page 38 footnote

"In total 136 traders were identified as having non-compliance as part of the visits, two traders have subsequently surrendered their consumer credit licences and we are considering other action in the remaining cases"
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  Mystery shopping showed ALL advisors failed to mention the Insolvency Service booklet "In Debt: Dealing with your creditors".
                  Powered by Google Docs

The above is the HTML version of the booklet....
                  Last edited by leclerc; 19th January 2011, 11:06:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

You have got to read a copy of this especially chapter 6 on mystery shopping
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                      I wish they'd revoke the licences of some DCAs instead
                      I wish they would revoke all of the DCAs licences.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty66 View Post
                        I wish they would revoke all of the DCAs licences.
                        It is all about the 'fitness' to hold a consumer credit licence.

Therefore, all that we ask is that the DCA's fully comply with legislation as laid down;
                        fully observe the OFT guidelines on Debt Collection and;
                        other relevant guidelines that are endorsed by the OFT.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                          The full report actually says there were more than 129.....

Page 38 footnote

"In total 136 traders were identified as having non-compliance as part of the visits, two traders have subsequently surrendered their consumer credit licences and we are considering other action in the remaining cases"
                          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                          Mystery shopping showed ALL advisors failed to mention the Insolvency Service booklet "In Debt: Dealing with your creditors".