• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Today - Charging orders under attack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Today - Charging orders under attack

Here's an interesting piece from this month's Credit Today magazine...

HM Courts Service remains "bullish" about plans that would undermine the effectiveness of charging orders following a meeting with the Civil Court Users Association as Credit Today went to press.

Under the Tribunals Courts and Enforcement Act, debtors who have some disposable income could apply to the courts for administration orders, which could compel creditors to accept a number of pence in the pound. HMCS does not want charging orders to stand in these cases, meaning creditors would lose their security.

Brian Havercroft, chairman of the CCUA, said it is trying to persuade the department not to go ahead as it will damage creditor interests. "There could be a composition order and your charging order would only return so many pence in the pound," he explained.

He added that government is not taking a consistent approach as a charging order is considered a secured debt by the Insolvency Service in Bankruptcy.

A further concern for creditors is the plan to set a limit for charging orders. This will deny those with smaller debts, such as water companies, access to the orders.

Claire Sandbrooke, chief executive of enforcement agency Shergroup, urged creditors to act now. "Look at your files and get the applications made and secured on the property because this is something they are very keen to implement. Get it done before the legislation comes in."

Havercroft said HMCS is open to consultation on the issue of debt management plans and proposals to allow courts to compel creditors to accept them. "They are saying it's not set in stone."
    My Blog
    http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Re: Credit Today - Charging orders under attack

Looking at the comments made by Ms Sandbrooke, should we be concerned that there may be a rash of charging orders early on in the process?
    My Blog

Comment

mmmm I posted something about the change of court procedures and creditors t;other day - think it ties in. will find it.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Here read this too

Response to Consultation Paper on General Pre-Action Protocol and Practice Direction - Legal Beagles
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

In other words, going for the throat straight away by way of a charging order could be seen as being a little bit naughty by the courts then, as the creditor hasn't properly considered all the circumstances of the debtor. Might their actions even be seen as vexatious?

Hmmm.
          My Blog

Comment

It might now sounds like creditors are trying to be allowed special dispensation to side step the law to me.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

The debt claim process: helping people in debt to engage with the problem [CP 22/07] - Ministry of Justice

is still awaiting response.

Amongst other things, this led to HMCS piloting a Pre-Action Notice (PAN) and trailing the possible introduction of a Claims Payment Order (CPO). These were respectively intended to encourage pre-action engagement; and, to allow creditors to obtain an enforceable order quickly in cases where debtors continue not to engage.

urggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh look

The CPO
              Under the current system creditors are unable to obtain judgment until debtors either admit the claim or the time for admitting or defending the claim expires regardless of what action the creditor has taken before involving the court. The CPO is intended to streamline this system in cases where there is no engagement. Its introduction would be dependent on creditors following established pre-action procedures (such as the PAN) warning debtors of imminent court action and encouraging engagement. Under the CPO creditors would be able to obtain an enforceable order if debtors failed to respond after receiving a warning of court action.

also
              Civil Court Users Association - Home

Last edited by Amethyst; 4th June 2008, 11:52:AM.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Now to be honest i don't know a lot about charging orders,but if you were going to counter sue, could you not play them at their own game and get a charging order against them.. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Under the CPO creditors would be able to obtain an enforceable order if debtors failed to respond after receiving a warning of court action.

So if a DCA fails to respond to a CCA OR SAR request followed by a LBA, then i would expect the same procedure to apply to them when counter suing....probably wrong
                Last edited by setmefree; 4th June 2008, 12:07:PM.

Comment

On what basis? Do you mean like, if you are chasing a bank for charges, say, and they won't pay up after a court finds in your favour????

Interesting.
                  My Blog

Comment

Instead of a warrant and bailiffs ?

So you could, as a creditor to the bank (in that you lent them your charges) get enforcement order on warning of court action lol after following this PAN....I'm sure thats probably ruled out somewhere - but yep interesting. Whats in the tribunal and enforcement bill then?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by LuggerBugs View Post
                      On what basis? Do you mean like, if you are chasing a bank for charges, say, and they won't pay up after a court finds in your favour????

Interesting.
                      Yep exactly my point

Comment

HAHAHA. Wouldn't THAT be fun.

"Yes, m'lud, the defendants have put one of their sub branches on the market, and I'd like my pound of flesh, please. Ye, I did obtain a charging order some time back, and the feckers STILL haven't coughed up."

HILARIOUS!!!
                        My Blog

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X