• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Avon Cosmetics advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avon Cosmetics advice please

Hi

As you may note from my earlier posts, I've taken my head out of the sand and am dealing with the DCAs and other companies who have been bothering me for some time.

I was an agent with Avon, returned all products and stopped trading. They have not recredited my account and because I have refused to pay due to having proof of returns they have defaulted my credit file and have transferred my "debt" to a DCA.

I have asked the DCA for proof of transfer but they have said that they are not covered under the CCA and do not need to provide anything.

Please can someone help?

Thanks
    njc12
    Tags: None

Re: Avon Cosmetics advice please

Which idiot DCA is this?

Whilst it may be true that the alleged debt is not covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the alleged debtor should be told who owns the debt.

How long ago did you send the tat and slap back to Avon?

Comment

Thanks Clever Clogs.

The DCA is EOS. The only "proof" that they have sent is some statements to show that we have transacted with Avon previously.

They do not have any kind of assignment documentation.

We sent the stuff back to Avon in Feb/Mar of last year.

Comment

So it won't be anywhere near statute barred.

How did you dispute the debt with those makers of overpriced slap and fly repellent scent?

Did you write to their minions, or to their organ grinder?

The parent company is, of course, in the American colonies, a land where misspellings abound. Their CEO is Sheri.McCoy@Avon.com

Comment

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8746acd8-6...#axzz2nKm37QjQ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24522756

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1dc7e2cc-4...#axzz2nKm37QjQ

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_bei...-arsehole-Avon

It would appear that Avon are having a few difficulties recently.

If it were me, I would inform the DCA that, unless they can prove that the alleged debt has been legally assigned to them (ie that they are the new legal owners as per the Law of Property Act), then they can go forth.

Some info re assignment here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ing-with-DCA-s
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_bei...-arsehole-Avon

It would appear that Avon are having a few difficulties recently.
            It seems that Avon Cosmetics Limited, company no. 00592235, does not have a Consumer Credit Licence, despite selling its products on credit to its Avon Ladies. As this is so utterly incredible, I urge anyone reading this to check for themselves, at http://www2.crw.gov.uk/pr/default.aspx

I've tried all the different names in the Avon group I could find at Companies House, all with the same result; in desperation, I even tried their postcode, NN1 5PA.

Nothing came up - not even a lapsed licence!

Comment

http://www.avon.uk.com/PRSuite/your_dream_opportunity.page#.UqrK4tJdUhM

. Be your own boss and become a self-employed Independent Avon Representative. You can work the way you want with flexible hours by joining Avon today.

So how does it work?

Sell to family, friends or work colleagues OR find customers with Avon's support
              Show the Avon Brochure or share your Personal Online Brochure (POB)
              Place and
              deliver orders
              Collect payment from your customers. Pay Avon and pay yourself!
              Ps - I'm not flogging the stuff, just showing the business model!
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help - I really appreciate it.

Avon has said to me that the agreement is not a credit agreement but is an agreement with a payment requirement on a monthly basis for goods received. They did do a credit check when I became a representative and a further one when I became a Sales Leader - not sure if this is relevant.

In addition to telling the DCA where they can go, I also want to prove that the default was wrongly added to my credit file. Is there a template letter on here somewhere that I can send?

Thanks again
                njc12

Comment

I have just seen their advertisement for agents featured on the government's Universal Jobmatch site!

Comment

I doubt that the Consumer credit Act is applicable, as usually in MLM operations, the product is bought as required, & the rep takes a %age of the invoiced amount.
                    As long as it's not 'pyramid' selling, that's ok.
                    (See the 'Herbalife' decision in Belgium)

The problem here seems to be that the OP has returned goods which have not been credited against the account, but Avon are chasing for the full amount outstanding.

Avon also appear to have placed a default on a credit file.

Credit Reference Agencies are obliged to ensure that any records which they have are accurate.
                    As the OP has not defaulted, but is disputing the outstanding amount, Avon & the CRA should be informed, & if the situation is not rectified, complain to the ICO.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi - I have now had a response from Avon. I am re-sending them the evidence that the goods have been returned. But they are also saying that as the agreement is on trade terms with 14 day payment terms and not a CCA agreement, that they are not required to send a notice of default - is this correct??

Thanks
                      njc12

Comment

Originally posted by njc12 View Post
                        Hi - I have now had a response from Avon. I am re-sending them the evidence that the goods have been returned. But they are also saying that as the agreement is on trade terms with 14 day payment terms and not a CCA agreement, that they are not required to send a notice of default - is this correct??
                        They may not be required to send you a default notice but they still have a duty to accurately report to the CRAs. If you didn't default, a default shouldn't have been recorded, regardless of whether it was a regulated agreement or not.

Comment

It is more than 6 years since the last post.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X