• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell

Hi Guys,

Had an old O2 account and started getting letters from Lowell regarding an outstanding debt. Lowell purchased this debt from o2 a few years ago. i contacted 02 and they have no record of this debt. I was thinking of SAR ing O2. and have told Lowell this. This is a defaulted account on my credit file from Lowell not 02 i have never had a letter from Lowell telling me they were going to default my account.....This is the response from them

Dear Mr *********,

Thank you for your recent correspondence, the contents of which have been noted. 30/04/10
    We understand that you have made a Data Subject Access Request to O2 (UK) Ltd and in light of this, we have placed your account on hold for a period of 60 days. Please be advised that we purchased this account from O2 (UK) Ltd on the 30th April 2010 and therefore would not hold any information on the account prior to this date. We can confirm the type of information we hold will be any notes if we have been in contact with you, details of any payments made plus letters we have received relating to your account from the date Lowell purchased the account. We are unlikely to hold any statements or the agreement from your original creditor.
    If you would like to proceed with your request under the Data Protection Act, you will need to write to us again enclosing your fee for £10.00.

We trust that this is satisfactory.
    Yours sincerely,

Can they default an account without letting me know.

Thanks Mike
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell

It is usually a waste of time and money sending a SAR to a DCA or debt purchaser like Lowell, because they buy debts in bulk and don't have any paperwork such as statements or account history which is what you would be after with a SAR. You should always SAR the original creditor rather than the debt purchaser, you can then send the DCA a copy of your SAR letter to the OC and inform them that you are awaiting their response if they contact you.

When you sent your SAR, did you enclose the £10 fee?

Comment

No i have sent nothing to Lowel yet. I just asked them for proof that i owed this money. As o2 had no record of the debt. I
      Was more peeved off because lowell put a default on my credit file with no proof of this debt. No signed contract and very minimal info at best. They never informed me that they were or had defaulted my credit report. Thats why i was going to ask them for all the ingo they hold. I have not even sent the SAR to O2. This was more for lowells benefit. When j spoke to 02 they said rhat there was no outstanding balance on file.

Can they default my credit file without informing me. Can they chase me for an account when they have no contract.

Mike

Comment

Did you have a contract with O2 that you defaulted on or an outstanding mobile bill to start with? A SAR should provide you with all the information, however, if you didn't have a contract with O2 and Lowell are just fishing, then it would be a waste of time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1976 View Post

Can they default my credit file without informing me. Can they chase me for an account when they have no contract.

Mike
          They can default you without informing you. However Principle 4 of the Data Protection Act states, "Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date."

So while they can register it, you can challenge them to prove it is accurate.

Similarly they can chase you for an account with no contract, but you can choose to either challenge them or totally ignore them.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X