• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell & 3 Mobile Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell & 3 Mobile Debt

Hi, I have a friend who has been receiving letters from the various incarnations of Lowell claiming that they are owed £440.60 based on an unpaid phone bill from '3'.

My friend was on a '3' contract from mid-2007 to mid-2008, and just prior to the contract ending '3' rang her asking if she wanted to upgrade (as ususally happens with mobile contracts). She upgraded, but for some reason a separate contract was made. Payments were taken automatically, so there shouldn't have been any issues.

My friend wrote back to Lowell stating that she had no knowledge of the supposed debt:

"I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question."

Lowell have responded, and enclosed with their response is a copy of a '3' bill from February 2009. It looks reasonably legitimate, except the address on the bill is not correct for the date, and '3' will have known of the change of address because my friend continued to use them at the new address.

Just to clarify.

Mid-2007: Living at address A - Initial 3 contract made.
    Mid-2008: Living at address A - Initial contract ends, new contract begins.
    Later in 2008, move to address B (3 are informed).
    Feb-2009: The date of the bill Lowell sent, addressed to address A.

I suppose my first question is, given the above circumstances, is a copy of a bill sufficient evidence for them to pursue the debt?

And second, how should my friend respond?

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell & 3 Mobile Debt

Lowell are doing it, again!
    Please click on the following link and view:
    BBC - Watchdog: Lowell - chasing debts

Lowell are bombarding many at the moment re 3 and other telecom debts including T Mobile.

Leave it out, Lowell...we've had enough of your covert unfair business practices!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
      Lowell are doing it, again!
      Please click on the following link and view:
      BBC - Watchdog: Lowell - chasing debts

Lowell are bombarding many at the moment re 3 and other telecom debts including T Mobile.

Leave it out, Lowell...we've had enough of your covert unfair business practices!!!
      I've just watched the video - never heard such a load of bovine slurry in my life. Who do Lowells think they're trying to kid, eh?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        I've just watched the video - never heard such a load of bovine slurry in my life. Who do Lowells think they're trying to kid, eh?

Exactly!

The film was made three years ago but Lowell are still up to the same old game...

Looks like it's time to send your complaints off again to BBC Watchdog and;
        The Office of Fair Trading:beagle:

Comment

So is the bill they sent not sufficient proof? I would've thought they might've needed a copy of the original contract or something.

Comment

No its not, all it proves is that any one with a computer can write up a bill put the 3 logo on it and put your current address on it, and that its only worth the value of toilet papers... After you have you have wiped your rear with it that is.

Keep the bill as i may be used as evidence of fabrication of documents while claim its a copy of an original, which if it was, then it would have the address from 2009 on it not your friends new address.

Best advice is ignore them. but keep an eye on the credit file because they may issue a default or may already have.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hehe, okay thanks for the responses.

My friend has actually found some old bank statements which show payments being made to 3 by direct debit dated before the bill Lowell sent her, showing a different address (address B mentioned above).

Why would 3 have sent a bill to the old address when they were aware of the address change (which had occurred 6 months before), and why would they not just have charged it via direct debit?

Any ideas on what she should write back to Lowell? Should they be able to provide the original contract or a more detailed indication of how the debt was accrued?

Comment

Ask Lowells for a Certified Copy of the original agreement/contract. If they ask, tell them they should know and if they don't to speak to a legal professional. On no account tell Lowells what a Certified Copy is.

Basically, a Certified Copy is a first-generation copy, usually, a photocopy, of the original document, endorsed with a handwritten or stamped statement and signed and dated in ink. Do not accept a reconstructed or reconstituted copy. In my considered judgment, these encourage fraud.

If Lowells fail or refuse to provide a Certified Copy of the original agreement/contract, come back onto this thread and I'll help you draft a suitable letter to them.

Bluebottle
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi again.

Okay, a few weeks after sending them a letter asking for a Certified Copy of the original agreement/contract, Fredrickson (who were dealing with the debt when I last posted) sent a letter saying:

"Please note that we are no longer instructed in connection with this matter and have returned the account to our client."

Then, a few days ago she received a letter from Lowell saying:

"You have not repaid your account. As you have failed to repay your account it will be sent to CCSG, who are one of our approved debt collection agencies. They will be instructed to pursue you for this debt and seek to recover the full balance. All contact and correspondence should be referred to this company (details below) from 14/06/2012.

Prior to this date, you can still contact us and make arrangements to repay your account by offering payment in full, or by setting up a monthly repayment plan for an amount of money you can realistically afford. If you do this your account will not be transferred to the debt collection agency named in this letter."

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Did you send the request to lowells or fredrickson?
                    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                      Did you send the request to lowells or fredrickson?
                      Fredrickson, as they were the ones sending us letters at the time (although I'm pretty sure Fredrickson, Lowell etc. are all really the same people).

Comment

No there different its hamptons and Red that are the same as lowells, and it sounds like lowell own the debt. I would send the same request to lowells recorded, then they know they can not deny receiving it and will have to halt trying to collect the debt till they send you a certified copy.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X