• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial cannot supply docs; what now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial cannot supply docs; what now?

Hello. I was pursued by Cabot Financial for an amount of £2437.38 which I do not acknowledge at all or even recognise, having no account with them nor having ever held one with the Royal Bank of Scotland (hereinafter ‘RBS’) who they claim to be the "original lender".

On 12th July this year I wrote asking them for the documentation, including the following extract from my letter:

"1. You must supply me with a true signed copy of the alleged agreement they refer to or implied. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement, under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) – your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose, via a UK bank, £1 in payment of the statutory fee for this.

2. You must supply me with a signed true copy of the deed of assignment (if any such exists – since I do not know your company and you certainly are not a recognised creditor of mine), of the above referenced agreement that you or your agents presumably allege to be extant.

You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are or claim to be the original creditor or not, under S189 of the CCA 1974.

…SNIP…

… if I do not receive by 4th August 2010 at (my address here) evidence that I owe your company any monies, I will have no hesitation in passing your details to the Office of Fair Trading. "

They replied on 23rd July 2010 saying they would obtain this. There were a few more letters exchanged. On 1st September they wrote again, saying:

"Unfortunately Cabot has not been able to provide you with the requested information within the relevant time period".

No more has been heard from them. I did write on 1st October saying: "Since another month has been accorded and you still have not been able to provide the requested documentation, I suppose it is time to take action" – but my question here is:

Do our experts here, or those who themselves have had experience of Cabot Financial, consider that I should indeed continue on the offensive and report Cabot to the OFT, or should I rather 'let a sleeping dog lie' since they have failed to provide anything and cannot continue to harass me under these circumstances?

Regards, the Maintopman
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Financial cannot supply docs; what now?

You have made a lawful request under CCA and it is Cabot's responsibility to comply.
    There is nothing to be gained in reminding them of their duties.

IF they start to make threats of legal action then you can wade in, just wait and see.
    While they fail in this regard the clock is ticking down.

Comment

Well, Curlyben, they have indeed already failed in their duties, having been given a lot of notice and acknowledged that they cannot comply. Which, if I read the previous advice given on other threads on this Forum and template letters, now constitutes a criminal act on their part. So - do I hit them now by reporting them to the OFT by means of a formal complaint to that body or not? That is here the question. Not really a question of reminding them of it, simply, do I now kick 'em in the whatsits?

And - is there a way of getting this attempt to claim a so-called 'debt' kind of 'struck off', never to be asked for again, now that they have failed to comply?

Comment

The criminal part of CCA s78(6) has been REPEALED and no longer exists.
        TBH it was never followed through anyway.

Just sit back and wait for Cabot.

Comment

MTM can you point out which template letters it is still in about the criminal malarky, I thought we had removed it all when it was repealed so bit concerning if we have indeed left some in place. Let me know and we can get them fixed. Thanks Ame xx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello, Ame. I used a template letter from somewhere else for the 12th July 2010 s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 letter I sent to Cabot (that was written prior to my joining here). I modified it to suit my own circumstances and style and omitted the criminal part, though in fact I still believed it then. I'll have a trawl through what I can find here, but I think my own model was probably from Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more . I'll let you know if I find anything here.

Best regards and fair winds from the Maintopman.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X