• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pastdue Credit Solutions - for debt I do not owe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastdue Credit Solutions - for debt I do not owe

I lived with my mom from August 2021 to July 2022 in a rented apartment. I was paying the water bills and I was the only account holder. In July 2022, we moved to the current address, I have already moved the account to the current address in July 2022, and never missed a payment.

Recently, a letter addressed to my mom from Pastdue arrived at our current address, seeking to recover over £500. After a couple of letters from them, without us responding, they offer a settlement of over £300.

I believe United Utilities just conveniently set up an account under my mom’s name, because the apartment may not have a new tenant after we moved out, or they could not figure out the usage because the property has no water meter. United Utilities has confirmed that the new account was set up after our move out date.

I do not want to communicate with these debt collection firms. Is it the best to wait until they send my mom a letter before claim, and defend the claim?

Can I complain to United Utilities, then escalate the complaint to Consumer Council for Water (CCW) and Ofwat; and complain to Pastdue, then escalate to FOS?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Before you do anything, send United Utilities a SAR, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the account.
    It maybe a case of 2 SARS. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

This sounds like a plan - 'Can I complain to United Utilities, then escalate the complaint to Consumer Council for Water (CCW) and Ofwat; and complain to Pastdue, then escalate to FOS?'

Your mum may be due compensation, if they've just set up an account in her name without her authority to do so.

Update the thread when you get the SAR information.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Before you do anything, send United Utilities a SAR, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the account.
      It maybe a case of 2 SARS. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

This sounds like a plan - 'Can I complain to United Utilities, then escalate the complaint to Consumer Council for Water (CCW) and Ofwat; and complain to Pastdue, then escalate to FOS?'

Your mum may be due compensation, if they've just set up an account in her name without her authority to do so.

Update the thread when you get the SAR information.
      Thanks for your swift response. I will submit the two SARs. Meanwhile, should I raise a complaint with Pastdue to let the FOS clock start clicking? I was so hesitant to get in touch with Pastdue because I do not want to be harassed once they get hold of my email address or phone number.

Comment

Don't give them your email or phone. Best advice is to communicate with debt collectors only by post. Tell them that is how they must contact you.

Always better to make sure they have current address of you/your mum incase they try to go for a sneaky default CCJ using your previous address.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by trover View Post

Thanks for your swift response. I will submit the two SARs. Meanwhile, should I raise a complaint with Pastdue to let the FOS clock start clicking? I was so hesitant to get in touch with Pastdue because I do not want to be harassed once they get hold of my email address or phone number.
          I think you've got the correct order in your earlier post, all this has arisen from UU's actions. So don't contact Pastdue yet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X