• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Moorcroft chasing 20 year old debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcroft chasing 20 year old debt

Hi

Before I met my wife I lived by myself after a long term relationship I was in ended, I used all my savings to pay for the deposit on my old house etc and once on my own I found it very difficult to maintain any kind of comfortable existence. I could not afford to heat my house, I lived on toast I never went out, all I did was work and sit at home. I became depressed and my health suffered.

I had to use a credit card to pay for car repairs, petrol, shopping, vets bills. I know this was not ideal but I had no option, inevitably I stared struggling to make repayments. In 1999 I saw an advert in the local free paper about removing debts and paying a small monthly payment. The company was a debt management firm I gave them my details and they said to stop paying any creditors and they would take care of everything. I was told they would initiate token payments, they told me I must set up a savings plan with them which would be used to eventually settle all my debts in full.

I ended up with a CCJ from Lloyd’s Bank for a balance of around £2950, to be repaid at £3 per month to their nominated solicitors I was told this would stay on my credit record for six years or until my savings built up to part settle the debt. I kept up my savings payments to the debt management company and paying my £3 monthly CCJ. During the spring of 2003 my savings payments stopped being accepted, I eventually found out that the firm had been put into liquidation, and the owner had absconded. Needless to say I lost all my savings payments!

Eventually the CCJ dropped off my record and I continued to pay my £3 monthly never missing, never late. Then in February this year I received a letter from Moorcroft Debt Recovery asking me to ring them, I panicked and did this straight away, I said I had been paying the £3 monthly from a previous CCJ to the nominated representative of the creditor, the person I spoke to said “we've been handling those payments for a while now" and “this is just a review and we will do another in six months".

I received a letter from Moorcroft last Thursday asking for income and expenditure to review my payments, this letter made me feel physically sick, I lost my Father late last year and have been on strong Anti-Depressants, I feel anxious, I an not sleeping. I called into the Citizens Advice and they said to ring Moorcroft and explain your current health issues.

I rang them and spoke to someone who seemed very understanding I explained my health problems. He went on to say a note would be added to my account and the tone of any communication would be considerate of this. He said a letter would be sent out with the form in...it arrived with the same tone as the previous one.

I am now physically worried about this, I do not want my previous struggles, issues and past life to come back and haunt me. I cannot afford to pay this full amount and have confided in a relative who has offered to give me some money to try to arrange this as a F & F settlement, I feel I need to do this to save my health more than anything!

I have no idea of my rights in any of this and any support and advice would be so welcome! This debt is over twenty years old and currently stands at £2370, am I missing anything?
    Would anyone be able to help advise me as I am so worried I would make things worse!

DC18

Tags: None

Hang on Moorcroft are not debt purchasers and hopeful commission alleged debt chasers who hope to get monies out of you and they keep a proportion of each collected money, they have no power and only try to collect on behalf of other companies

When was the last payment made to anybody and to whom???

do not send Income etc to them await other on here to respond also,

Comment

Hi, Welcome. It is so unfair when someone has tried to do everything right and things have just conspired against them. There's a number of people across the forums who went with these kind of DMP firms, that went under taking peoples 'savings pots' with them. Absolutely disgraceful and sadly things with a couple of them ( BOurnes and Compass ) are still dragging on and people haven't managed to recoup any of their monies Poor reflection on the regulators of those firms. And not your fault whatsoever, we all have down bumps, and you did the right thing to try deal with things, so please try not to let it get you down any further xxx

Who actually owns the judgment debt ? Was it Lloyds that were the claimant and Moorcroft are just acting as collection agents on their behalf?

Did Citizens Advice not go through your income and expenditure with you to submit to Moorcroft? That would be the simplest thing to do, go through income/expenditure and work out the pro-rata amount you are able to continue paying to pay off this judgment debt. Have Moorcroft actually threatened to try enforcing the judgment by any other way than continuing with monthly instalments ?

Do you recall how the £3 payments were set ? was it simply because that was what you had been paying through the DMP? or did you apply to court to vary a forthwith order with income/expenditure to set the payments at an affordable rate?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst

Comment

I have been paying Moorcroft the £3 monthly, the letters say RE: Lloyds Bank PLC.

Comment

I left all of the negotiating to the debt management firm, they forwarded the details of the CCJ, who to pay it to and amount to me.

Comment

I can send you the details of the debt management company and the nominated solicitors, but would prefer to do this in a private post. I am naturally worried, nervous and wary.

Comment

The solicitors Lloyd's used were named Sechiari, Clark & Mitchell, I don't k ow if that has any relevance?

Comment

Yes they were part of Lloyds. So the judgment is held by Lloyds and Moorcroft are just acting on their behalf. Feel free to email me admin@legalbeagles.info re the DMP firm.

Your main issue at the moment is to get the judgment debt sorted out so that Moorcroft don't continue bugging you about it. The form they have sent you is the IE sheet ? anything about health/vulnerability issues at all ?

You have a couple of options - you can go to CAB again and ask them to help you complete the IE sheet and work out what is a long term affordable amount to pay towards the CCJ, they can also have a look at any other debts that might be hanging over from that time and try get you back straight. They could also help you with a letter detailing vulnerability/health circumstances and ask Lloyds to consider writing off the remaining judgment debt.

Or you could make an application to the court to vary the payments if the £3 was arranged informally between your DMP company and Lloyds and you've just carried it on since the DMP company went under. This would set the payments formally and no enforcement action could be taken so long as you kept up with the payments ( which would be affordable based on your Income/Expenditure sheet ) - plus if Moorcroft/Lloyds wanted to increase the payments at any time they would have to apply to the court to do so. So just gives you that bit of certainty that nothing further is going to happen. ( It's form N245 and there is a £50 court fee, but you may be eligible for fee remission so you don't have to pay it (form EX160 ) ) Again it would still be an idea to get CAB to help you sort out your income/expenditure sheet to base any submission to the court on.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you so much for your help and advice, I am seriously at the point where I need this to end!

I have seen posts from people on here with older debts asking for CCA information etc, I don't know if that would be an option for me but If this would help along with your other advice with a F&F settlement I would try.

I do not want to create further conflict as previously mentioned a relative has offered to help me. I have seen templates on several websites, would you recommend proceeding this way?

Comment

Amethyst

Comment

Amethyst

Comment

jaguar1954

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X